Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:21:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 470
Total: 472

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fasting and Complera - Question  (Read 3654 times)

Offline terrymoore

Fasting and Complera - Question
« on: October 10, 2016, 10:06:31 pm »
Hi All,
This may sound strange...
Tomorrow is the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur which is observed with a 24hr fast - no food, no water from sundown to sunset.
I have observed this tradition my entire life. This is my first year on Complera which requires a meal before taking the pill (i normally take it after bf). I am contemplation what to do. My options as i see it:
1. Take the pill without a meal
2. skip the morning dose and take it 12 hours later when i break the fast after the meal.
3. skip the dose altogether and start the next day
4. break the fast for the pills - meaning, wake up, eat a pb&j sandwich, take the pill and continue fasting.

I am inclined to #1 but am not sure how dangerous/risky this is. I know it is only 1 day, and otherwise i adhere, but i will be mixing up my schedule with a few planned trips soon, and would like to minimize any disruption to schedule if possible.
i guess my question is, is #1 = to #3 or is it better than #3 or worse than #3.

Thanks!

Offline Skydrake

Re: Fasting and Complera - Question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 01:43:38 am »
If fasting might lead to endangerment of the patient, during Yom Kippur he is allowed to eat or drink small amounts, according the numbers of calories required.

Some Rabbins meausure the proibition of eating qualitatively, not quantitatively (i.e. dry bread only):

https://books.google.it/books?id=aaklGZAID08C&pg=PA482&lpg=PA482&dq=fasting+illness+jewish&source=bl&ots=MO71BRUYTn&sig=_uI4NrTDcGXF9I2OiSXKK1J3GyA&hl=it&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwikjZbmgdLPAhVDuRoKHSCnCgwQ6AEIPTAH#v=onepage&q=fasting%20illness%20jewish&f=false
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:50:32 am by Skydrake »

Offline Skydrake

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 01:48:58 am »
If fasting might lead to endangerment of the patient, during Yom Kippur he is allowed to eat or drink small amounts, according the numbers of calories required.

Some Rabbins meausure the proibition of eating qualitatively, not quantitatively (i.e. dry bread only):

https://books.google.it/books?id=aaklGZAID08C&pg=PA482&lpg=PA482&dq=fasting+illness+jewish&source=bl&ots=MO71BRUYTn&sig=_uI4NrTDcGXF9I2OiSXKK1J3GyA&hl=it&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwikjZbmgdLPAhVDuRoKHSCnCgwQ6AEIPTAH#v=onepage&q=fasting%20illness%20jewish&f=false

Offline Alonefornow

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 02:40:59 am »
Well when you have to take medicines twice a day you dont have to fast
I hve some muslims friends who take 2 pills they dont do ramadan or fast in any other day because the pills are more important.
So you better hve your normal day eat healthy take your oills knowing that you will be traveling and some distruption will happen so better keep that pill skipped only in rral emergency.
 Good luck

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 02:53:27 am »
Thanks guys. Aware of the law and "discount" given to those who suffer from illness or a chronic condition (like me/us).
However i still want to fast (educating kids etc). So, what if i take the pill without food? It is a big deal? Better to not take at all?

Offline Alonefornow

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 07:39:42 am »
I guess taking the pill will break the fast but that depends onhow fasting is in the jewish relgion for msulim i know if they take medicines then they cna eat.
If i were u i will not fast as health comes first and god knows your believings.
In the end am not doctor, but thats my advise. Didnyou talk to your doctor about fasting while on medicines

Offline Skydrake

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 11:38:01 am »
So, what if i take the pill without food? It is a big deal? Better to not take at all?

No, no, no.

You MUST take your pill every day.
In addition, the dietary requirement for Complera is for at least 400 Kcal meal with 13 grams of fat.
Without food, Complera doesn't work well and you'll be exposed at the risk to acquire resistances (a very dangerous condition).

A dangerous ill patient is obliged to eat on Yom Kippur. Some Rabins consider this to be a Biblical obligation (see pages 482 and 483 of the book linked before).

This exempt from fasting is only for the amount of food for the pill (400 calories).
Some Rabins don't allowed any delicacy than dry bread (in your case, with at least 13 grams of fat, like a 2 slices of whole wheat bread with sunflower seeds).

Talk to your Rabin/spiritual counsellor about how assume these 400 Kcal, but before talk to your doctor about how it is dangerous take Complera without food or to not take it at all.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:06:25 pm by Skydrake »

Offline harleymc

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 07:39:12 pm »
Dear Terry
You have an interesting conundrum.

Disclaimer, I'm not a doctor, I'm not a Rabbi

On the spiritual side, talk to a Rabbi or other Jewish scholar. Make sure that they understand your condition is not merely chronic but life threatening. You have something very different from say, chronic arthritus or dandruff. Also show them the recomendations for dosing.
I would be surprised if putting your life at risk is required to mark Yom Kippur.

If after this process you decide that you must not eat...

Only the Rilpivirine absorbtion is affected by food. If you dosed at normal time you would have 2 of 3 medications at normal levels and the Rilpivirine would be at about 60% of normal, whereas if you shift your dosing, all your medications are out of whack.
Talk to a doctor or pharmacist.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 09:44:45 pm »
Thanks for input guiys!
I have made a decision - no food!
I will explain my logic later. Thanks!

Offline Expat1

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 11:24:47 pm »
Take the pill at the regular time.  One day of only half endurant should not affect your overall health. 

My opinion.

Offline Matland

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 03:17:49 am »
Well as Being A Muslim, i would Like to say that jewish fasting is different from our fasting practice. First we dont eat or drink during the Daylight. Not 24 hours. When the sun set down, we are allowed to eat. That is why i arranged My MED time after sunset When it was ramadan holy month.

Well terry i know you want to follow your religious practices. Only you know whether you can do it without risk at your life or not. But your intention is Good enough if you dont fulfill it anyway. God judges us with our intentions. That is What we believe.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 03:52:35 am »
Hi Guys,
So, i decided to take the meds at the normal time just this time without food. My logic:
i adhere 100% and this one "slip up" will still keep me away above the 90% adherence requirement AND it is not really skipping my meds, but rather, it is just that part of ONE of the meds i take won`t be absorbed perfectly.
I appreciate all the input - my fasting is more of a tradition and not that spiritual. I want my kids to know where they come from and certain tradition are passed on to them. Since they are fasting too, it seems to me i would be cheating.
Asking a rabbi is not an option - i keep my condition very private.
Regarding the actually rules, i know i m exempt from fasting, but there was another purpose for me as mentioned above.
Anyway, i took the pills with a sip of H2O and that`s that.
And with regards to God forgiving me...hehehehe...let`s see! ;D
Thanks again for all the input!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.