Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:35:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 567
Total: 567

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Undetectable in 43 Days COMPLERA  (Read 4856 times)

Offline livingthelife

Undetectable in 43 Days COMPLERA
« on: July 17, 2014, 10:10:21 pm »
I am new to posting on this site as of today, but not new to reading it.  I read it all the time and never found what I was exactly looking for regarding COMPLERA treatment.  This is my first post.

On 03/26/14 I took a rapid-HIV test and was diagnosed positive.  I wasn't expecting to hear the nurse say "positive" so I was shocked to say the least.  My brain starting spinning.  In my head I was questioning myself then I questioned the test.  I asked how many times the test has ever been wrong and I was told less than 1 in 1000.  I knew then I was positive, but asked for a full blood test that would be sent to a lab for testing.  Hoping for the best, I prayed the test would come back negative.

On 04/04/14 I got confirmation of the positive results.  By then it had already sunk in.  I wasn't expecting to hear it was negative.  So, it just confirmed I was indeed positive.

The reason I'm posting this thread is exactly for those of you that googled exactly what I did.  Looking for answers.  Looking for hope.

There's way too much negative stuff floating out there.  Too much negative about Complera and the side effects.  Not enough positive or hope I could really find. There's a good ending here.  So, if you just got tested and we're told you are positive, this post is for you.  If you just started treatment and you're looking for hope, this post is for you too.

After you are tested positive for HIV, you will get full blood work drawn soon.  Get ready for all new words and such, as you'll be hearing things like "Viral Load or VL," "CD4 count," and "CD4 %," which refers to your the % CD4 cells you have.  I knew what none of those words meant, so here you go:

The HIV "Viral Load" is the number of copies of the human immunodeficiency virus in your blood and other parts of your body.  CD4 (or T helper) cells are white blood cells that are an essential part of the human immune system.

On 04/09/14 my full labs of blood work came back.  My Viral Load was 47,445.  My CD4 count was 404.  And my CD4 % was 33%.

On 05/29/14 I started HIV treatment and was prescribed Complera & Tivivay.  Don't read or listen to all the negative side-effects.  Pay them little attention. 

I decided to take my meds in the morning.  It just made sense for me.  I knew I will wake up daily and I felt this could be my routine.  Force me to eat a breakfast and take my meds.  Every day my breakfast was at least 450 calories and 24g of fat.  I will post my daily diet at the end for those who are curious.  I definitely was curious about peoples diet and found little.

I purchased a weekly pill box with slots for Mon - Sun.  Every Sunday night, I would refill my pill box so I knew I took my meds.

Day 1 - Day 3:  I had vivid dreams.  Nothing crazy, but full of color.  Memorable.  Intense.  But I slept great.  The dreams went away.

Day 4 - about Day 10:  I felt tired.  Almost lethargic at times.  Even though I got plenty of sleep, I just felt tired.  This too stopped.

Day 11- about Day 30:  I would have gas during different times of the day.  It was weird.  It doesn't smell good.  Not that it ever does.  But there has to be a reason.  I think this is very common.  This too went away.

Day 30 - Day 40:   I started having no side effects at all.  I mean none.  I even started to feel great. 

I never had diarrhea.  I never had an accident.  Make sure you eat a full proper meal and this may be why I did not at all.

I also am very fit.  I exercise 4-6 times a week at a gym for at least an hour.  I do cardio and weight training.  I do not do drugs.  I do not smoke.  I also only drink liquor like once every 2 weeks and if I do it's only 1 drink.  I didn't and don't want anything to interfere with my treatment.

On 07/10/14, Day 43 after starting treatment, I had another full set of blood work drawn.  This would be to determine how my body was accepting the medicine.

Today, on 07/17/14, I was told I was my Viral Load went from 47,445 to <20 and I was UNDETECTABLE!!!!  Miraculously my CD4 count also went from 404 to 623.  The CD4 % also improved, from 33% to 43%.

I am very happy with my results.  Here they are in a snapshot:

03/26/14 Diagnosed HIV+
04/09/14 Viral Load 47,445   CD4 count 404    CD4 33%
05/29/14 * Started Complera & Tivicay *
07/10/14 * Undetectable * Viral Load <20       CD4 count 623    CD4 43%

Here's my daily routine somewhat:

Breakfast
at least 450 calories and 24g of fat
Something like Cereal, Whole Milk, 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter

I always also had for breakfast a NutriBullet drink containing items like Kale, Blueberries, Pineapple, Watermelon, Peaches, Strawberries, and Bananas with a scoop of Whey Protein (24g protein).  This gave me power-packed, real vitamins and nutrition at the start to my every day.

Every night, 12 hours after I take my Complera & Tivicay, I take:
1200 mg of Calcium Carbonate
2400 IU of Vitamin D3
200 MCG Selenium
Emergen-C packet containing 1,000 mg of Vitamin C, 24 other nutrients, 7 B Vitamins

That's my story.  I hope this helps all those people out there that are in my boat.  Stay positive.  Stay the captain of your success.  Keep a support network.  And stay committed to taking your meds every day.  I am living proof that you can do this.  Trust me I was scared.  I'm not scared anymore.  It also helped me to know that God would make me better. 

Live the Life!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:20:14 pm by livingthelife »

Offline caguy1988

Re: Undetectable in 43 Days COMPLERA
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:26:47 am »
Thank you for posting this. I started Complera about a month ago and will be picking up my first refill tomorrow. I also didn't experience any real side effects. If anything, I had a slight pressure behind my eyes for the first few weeks, but I also stare at a computer screen all day, so it could have been caused by that. I had problems with sleepiness too, but I can't say for sure that it was the medication and not just my sleeping habits.

I decided to take my pill at lunch (between 12 and 1), since it's the most reliable meal of the day in my routine. So far it hasn't been too much of a burden.

I'm also into fitness and go to the gym about 4 times a week. I was concerned that taking HIV meds would interfere with this somehow, but I haven't noticed any changes in my strength or endurance.

I have a checkup next week and I'll likely get some labs done to see how Complera is working. Hopefully I'll get some good news. 
5/18/14 Diagnosed
5/20/14 First labs: VL 1570, CD4 608

Offline NewAdventure1

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:17:00 pm »
Just started Complera last night. Hoping for similar results!  Congrats!
02/2013 Tested Negative
Exposure between 02/2013-10/2013
06/03/2014 Tested Positive
06/06/2014  VL 787 CD4 881 38%
07/08/2014 VL 1756 CD4 813 38%
07/27/2014 Started Complera
09/08/2014 Undetectable VL!
11/2014- Undetectable VL
2/2015-:Undetectable CD4 771 39%
7/2/2015: VL UD
11/16/2015 : VL-UD CD4 804 43%
3/18/2016 : VL- undetectable
7/25/2016 : VL -UD CD4 1104 41%
8/25/2016 Switched from Complera to Odefsey.
9/21/2017 VL- UD CD4 1344 41%
3/2/2018 VL- UD CD4 1411 46%

Offline livingthelife

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:56:18 pm »
I'm glad this article has helped you both.  That's my only purpose.  I'd google "Complera" and "undetectable" and I'd find nothing relevant.  Keep me posted on your success!!! 

Offline katiebug81

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 10:46:49 pm »
Congrats on being Undetectable that's great. I'm also on Complera but started on Atripla and had bad side effects. Since being on Complera I've barley had any side effects. Keep up the great work. ;)

Offline Reggie

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 01:26:51 am »
Wishing you all continued success on your complera regime.Also interested to hear how you do on it katiebug81 after switching from atripla? I'm also contemplating a switch from atripla possibly to complera due to side effects which I hope would improve on complera .

Cheers

Reggie

Offline katiebug81

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 08:35:00 am »
Hey Reggie, Sorry for taking so long to post back. Since switching from Atripla to Complera ,I haven't had too many side effects . I'm still tired in the a.m but no other side effects. My VL and Cd4 are still the same.

Offline Reggie

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 10:56:02 pm »
Hey Katiebug81

Thanks for your reply, nice to know your doing well on your meds after changing, wish you continued success.

Do you find you sleep better on the complera?

Cheers

Reggie

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.