Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:10:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 345
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Question on CD4 and HIV possibility. Please help me.  (Read 2881 times)

Offline nofear

Question on CD4 and HIV possibility. Please help me.
« on: February 11, 2012, 05:01:27 am »
I was recently diagnosed, confined, treated and recovered from CMV last Jan 2-23, 2012 using Ganciclovir.

During the course of my confinement my Dr. advised a count of my CD4, which was 253.

The Dr. ordered another count of my CD4 on Feb 6, 2012 (3 weeks after my 1st CD4 test). It went up to 472.

I have not taken an HIV test yet. I am only sexually active with my wife (we've been together since 2004). And we have a 3-yo boy.

My questions are:
1. Do you think I have HIV with data I've provided above?
2. Are there other reasons for a low CD4 besides HIV and Cancer?
3. For a person who has HIV, is it possible for CD4 counts to go up w/o Antiviral drugs?
4. Does HIV cause CD4 to go down? How?

I would like ALL your help with these questions. Your answers and prayers will help me get ready to take the "test".

I would like to ask for prayers so that I may not have the virus (or cancer). For my son's sake.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:03:05 am by nofear »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Question on CD4 and HIV possibility. Please help me.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 06:58:54 am »
nofear,

1. You absolutely cannot go by CD4 counts or any other such blood values to determine whether or not you are hiv positive. You also cannot go by symptoms or even the lack of symptoms. ONLY hiv antibody testing will reliably inform you of your accurate hiv status.

2. All sorts of things can cause fluctuations in your CD4 count.

3. Yes, CD4 counts can go up without ARVs. CD4s can vary by as much or more than 100 points during the course of a single day, regardless of a person's hiv status. CD4 counts constantly go up and down, regardless of a person's hiv status. This is why you cannot determine your hiv status by looking at your CD4 counts.

4. Hiv uses CD4 cells to replicate and destroys them in the process.

If you have ever had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with a person or persons of unknown or positive hiv status, then you have been at risk and you need to test. This (unknown status) includes your wife if she has never been tested.

Just because you had CMV does not automatically mean you are hiv positive. Anyone can get CMV - in fact most people will test positive for CMV by the time they reach middle age. It is a VERY prevalent virus. A small percentage of people will have symptoms during primary infection and it sounds as though you were one of those people.

Go test for hiv and get it over with. Good luck.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nofear

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:33:13 am »
@Ann
Thank that clears up a bunch of things.
My doctor immediately had me tested for cd4 when she found out I had CMV. She said that the cmv symptoms only come out if youre immunocompromised.

Ill take the test,i really wanna get this over with.

If you dont mind,a few followup questions?
•Is it possible for a nonHIV person to have a CD4 count lower than normal like mine?(200-400)
• "A small percentage of people will have symptoms during primary infection and it sounds as though you were one of those people"-didnt quite get what you meant.primary infection of what CMV or HIV?

Thank you so much

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 07:35:30 am »
@Ann
Thank that clears up a bunch of things.
My doctor immediately had me tested for cd4 when she found out I had CMV. She said that the cmv symptoms only come out if youre immunocompromised.

Ill take the test,i really wanna get this over with.

If you dont mind,a few followup questions?
•Is it possible for a nonHIV person to have a CD4 count lower than normal like mine?(200-400)
• "A small percentage of people will have symptoms during primary infection and it sounds as though you were one of those people"-didnt quite get what you meant.primary infection of what CMV or HIV?

Thank you so much
Yes to your first question, and Ann was talking about CMV not HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 08:38:48 am »
nofear,

Yes, people who are hiv negative can and do have counts like that. "Normal" is different for everyone and "normal" CD4 counts in the wider population often vary from region to region. (ie a population in one area of the world may have a "normal" range of 500 to 1000, while a population in another area may have a "normal" range of 1000 to 1500)

You may be a person whose "normal" CD4s are in the 400-600 range. Illnesses of any type can alter your counts, because CD4 cells are a subset of white blood cells in your immune system.

And Rodney is correct - I was talking about primary CMV infection. While many never notice a single symptom of primary CMV, some do (and some become quite ill - an inflamed spleen is not uncommon in these patients) and it sounds as though you may have been one of those people. Again, let me remind you that the majority of people in any population will have CMV by the time they are middle aged (35+).

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.