Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:47:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 138
Total: 138

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New addition to my family....  (Read 31541 times)

Offline emeraldize

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:05:33 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Robert

Re: New addition to my family....
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2013, 12:14:18 am »
hi thomas.

so nice to hear from you although I don't like the news you bear. That's hard to read. I followed up on Em's links and neither of them say anything about too much exercise. Other than hereditary the one mentions diet but nothing about over exercising so don't let that bring you down.  Let's keep ours fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Kai is so handsome.

robt

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2013, 03:06:44 pm »

Thanks for the links EM, definitely informative.  I spoke to the vet this morning regarding some blood work we had done on him, everything came back normal.  The vet seems pretty confident he may grow out of this.  He explained to me this morning that AKC requires German Shepherd breeders to get their hips certified before they breed them, and they do this at the age of two.  He said he has seem many German Shepherds display this problem at Kai's age and then by the age of two everything was fine.  It's not always the case he said, but I do hope this happens in Kai's next year of life.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and information. 

Here is a picture of him .  He's 10 months old now and weighs 80 pounds.  Sorry for the sideways shot, I tried to fix it on photobucket but it wouldn't upload at all.

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2013, 04:28:11 pm »
Excellent news to read! He's a very handsome boy.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2013, 04:50:44 pm »
He grew up fast there Skeebo!
Hope he grows out of this soon. :)
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2013, 05:51:38 pm »
What a beautiful dog.  I definitely hope the hip issue is temporary.

Is that you also in the picture, Thomas?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2013, 08:50:32 pm »
Excellent news to read! He's a very handsome boy.

He is isn't he?  He also licks my wife's toes and sleeps in my spot on the bed... perhaps I should be worried. (lol)

He grew up fast there Skeebo!
Hope he grows out of this soon. :)

I know, it seems like just yesterday he was this little 10 pound runt who didn't like baths... now I struggle to keep him out of the bathtub.

What a beautiful dog.  I definitely hope the hip issue is temporary.

Is that you also in the picture, Thomas?

Thanks Betty.. 

Yes that's me in the pic. 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2013, 07:12:11 pm »

I let Kai go on his first bit of exercise today.  Up to this point I've been gradually increasing the distance of his walks.  When he saw me grab his ball today he was really excited.   I only threw it out about 5 times, I'm still a bit paranoid about him hurting himself.  It went good and he seems fine thus far.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this was just an episode for him. 

I also wanted to bring up something that happened here on the forums when I first mentioned his injury.  A forum member, I don't want to mention his name because he might not want me to, offered to pay for Kai's care if it had to go further.  I was humbled by this gesture... and I am thankful for the offer.

I think when I mentioned above that I told the vet that Kai and I would be homeless if the high bills continued I conveyed the wrong message to some.  I just meant the wife wouldn't be to happy about it.  But to that member, you know who you are,  I do thank you.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2013, 08:41:03 pm »

I let Kai go on his first bit of exercise today.  Up to this point I've been gradually increasing the distance of his walks.  When he saw me grab his ball today he was really excited.   I only threw it out about 5 times, I'm still a bit paranoid about him hurting himself.  It went good and he seems fine thus far.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this was just an episode for him. 

I also wanted to bring up something that happened here on the forums when I first mentioned his injury.  A forum member, I don't want to mention his name because he might not want me to, offered to pay for Kai's care if it had to go further.  I was humbled by this gesture... and I am thankful for the offer.

I think when I mentioned above that I told the vet that Kai and I would be homeless if the high bills continued I conveyed the wrong message to some.  I just meant the wife wouldn't be to happy about it.  But to that member, you know who you are,  I do thank you.

So happy to hear Kai is doing better! :)
And so sweet of someone to offer such help. NICE! ;)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2013, 09:43:28 pm »

But to that member, you know who you are,  I do thank you.

This same member (im certain) offered to help me out when I lost my wallet in DC... we have amazing people here who at the drop of a hat would jump to help out a fellow member. Better people I've never known. Ever...

-Will
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:52:26 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2013, 03:20:47 pm »

Here are some more photos of my only son.  Yes, I know it's silly.  He'll be a year old on August 6.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2013, 04:52:43 pm »
I can't believe how big he is!  Gorgeous.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline mitch777

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2013, 05:08:18 pm »
Awwwwhhh. Kia is so cute! Love his eyes in the last pic. :)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2013, 05:27:20 pm »
I can't believe how big he is!  Gorgeous.

Thank you... I still can't believe how fast he has grown.

Awwwwhhh. Kia is so cute! Love his eyes in the last pic. :)

Thanks...  He gives such a look of adoration.  My wife says he goes crazy any time I leave without him.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2013, 07:29:27 pm »
He's beautiful, and has grown so much! Good lookin Shepherd there.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2013, 08:05:40 am »
The Ist picture conveys a admirable stillness , looks like a winner to me Mr Skeebo.
love to you and all your family
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2013, 09:31:12 pm »
He's beautiful, and has grown so much! Good lookin Shepherd there.

The Ist picture conveys a admirable stillness , looks like a winner to me Mr Skeebo.
love to you and all your family
m

Thanks guys.

It looks like you all may be in for another year of pictures.  I'm getting this little guy on Monday:

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2013, 09:34:24 pm »
Thanks guys.

It looks like you all may be in for another year of pictures.  I'm getting this little guy on Monday:

Cute! What is he? It looks like he has that loose skin that is nice to pet.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2013, 09:39:58 pm »
Cute! What is he? It looks like he has that loose skin that is nice to pet.

American Bulldog/Pitbull mix.  He's about 4 months old.  It's going to be a challenge with Kai.  The pup is use to being around about 10 other dogs of different breeds.  Kai will be the challenge; I have a feeling the introduction might be sketchy.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2013, 05:49:59 pm »

Our time in Alabama was short.  The company my wife is a quality manager for announced last month they were moving all their production facilities to Mexico.  She has since been offered a position in Tampa, Florida and has already started working there.  I'm still in Alabama closing up a few loose ends (daughter's school, my job, etc..)

We are having one hell of a time finding  a place to live because of our German Shepherd.  It seems Florida has an aggressive  breed/ban list and every where we have looked has turned us down.  We've tried both rental homes and apartments to no avail.   

Anyone have any ideas?   I can't give him up, he's become part of my heart.

And like always, I have to include updated pics.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2013, 06:10:32 pm »
Sweet pics as always. :)
Wish I could help. I would just keep on looking. Not an easy task. :(

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2013, 06:46:43 pm »
You just have to keep on looking, dont give up! Beautiful dog!

-will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2013, 09:56:44 pm »

Ho hum... my wife just called and said we got turned down by two more today.  I've been scanning various breeds (I know, stupid) all night.  I'm wondering if I could get my vet to change the breed name on his shot records because that is what I'll have to submit to the home owner or apartment complex we move into.  Wishful thinking I know, but as of right now Kai is no longer a German Shepherd.  He's either a Swiss Shepherd or a berger blanc suisse and neither of those are on the breed ban list.

I'm going to my vet on Monday and will give one hell of a sob story.  He did say German Shepherds were his favorite breed. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2013, 04:50:20 am »
I can't believe German Shepherds are considered a dangerous breed. 

He is a gorgeous dog, both of them are.  I hope the situation with the vet works out.  Something will have to work out, I totally understand you not giving him up, I wouldn't either. 

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2013, 01:16:11 pm »
Skeebo,
Check out Pasco county, my mom lives in Pasco county and unless it is a fancy house development or apt. complex most rentals allow all kinds of dogs.  There is a house near her for rent but it's probably to far from Tampa and it's only a 1 bedroom.

@ Betty--My Poncho is considered a dangerous breed.  :(   He's a lab/chow mix and the chow makes him dangerous.

I am lucky that unless you look at his tongue (which is always hanging out of his smiling face) you don't see the chow in him.

I think there is no such thing as a "dangerous breed" just a bunch of scardy-pants, moronic people who decided they needed an excuse to say no to dogs.

Michelle 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2013, 02:18:37 pm »
Sweet pics as always. :)
Wish I could help. I would just keep on looking. Not an easy task. :(
You just have to keep on looking, dont give up! Beautiful dog!

-will

Thanks Will and Mitch.

I can't believe German Shepherds are considered a dangerous breed. 

He is a gorgeous dog, both of them are.  I hope the situation with the vet works out.  Something will have to work out, I totally understand you not giving him up, I wouldn't either. 

I know it sounds corny, but this dog has taught me so much about myself.  Living life as an angry person who was so intolerant to change; his loyalty to a fault makes it difficult for me to make a decision that will repay all this with abandonment.

The negative me tells me this will not end well.  He's just a dog that I should have never met.

Skeebo,
Check out Pasco county, my mom lives in Pasco county and unless it is a fancy house development or apt. complex most rentals allow all kinds of dogs.  There is a house near her for rent but it's probably to far from Tampa and it's only a 1 bedroom.

@ Betty--My Poncho is considered a dangerous breed.  :(   He's a lab/chow mix and the chow makes him dangerous.

I am lucky that unless you look at his tongue (which is always hanging out of his smiling face) you don't see the chow in him.

I think there is no such thing as a "dangerous breed" just a bunch of scardy-pants, moronic people who decided they needed an excuse to say no to dogs.

Michelle 8)

I agree.  I would contend that the only thing dangerous about him is how much my heart breaks at the thought of having to give him up.

I'd pray for the very first time on this, but I don't know how-- it would be meaningless. 

Grief over this is a gross understatement.

I know, he's just a dog.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2013, 02:26:11 pm »
Its never just a dog . I lost my Zita in July and the thought of you loosing your dog just breaks my heart .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2013, 04:14:54 pm »
Hello Skeebo,
I am so sorry your going through this pain ,such stupid laws, and what you have said is not corny. Dogs remind me to stay in the hear and now, not to hold grudges, to remain loyal to friends .

I would contact any breed organization for German Shepard's , you never know some off the owners may be Landlords.

In UK the breed is also known as Alsatians , probably US also , however if not it would not be a lie if the papers had that on.

I would also place an advert myself. Does the area your looking in have Houseboats? There that's the end off my brainstorm.

All the best

Michael
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2013, 05:44:17 pm »
Jeff's right, Thomas.  It's never just a dog.  I would fight tooth and nail and try everything in my abilities and power to keep him.  It's unfair that you would have to give him up. 

About prayer, just say what you feel.  I'm not a religious person.  But there's no saying you cannot pray just because you never have. 

I am hoping beyond hope you get to keep him.  It's a bunch of b.s. that no one will rent to you.  Keep trying, don't give up.  I know, being an addict myself, about giving up.  But I also know, as an addict, I've been able to connive in some situations where an average person would not.  Does that make sense?  If anyone can talk a person into something, it's a drug addict.  Pull on some old shit, without using the drugs.  Dig into your past and pull out all those old abilities to get people to see it your way.  But don't give up easy.

Betty

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2013, 12:31:21 pm »

I know it's  not just a dog.  That's mainly my frustration with the situation coming through.  But, I think we may have found a house.  The wife will go look at it today.  By the way, both dogs have amazingly morphed into different breeds.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2013, 12:48:17 pm »
Hope it works out for you.  There are enough animal lovers out there that it shouldn't be this difficult.  I'd rather rent to animal owners than parents.  :) 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2013, 01:08:57 pm »
Its never just a dog . I lost my Zita in July and the thought of you loosing your dog just breaks my heart .

Zactly.  Miss Lily was my last remaining aspect of my previous life.  I realize I ascribed humanism to her, but my bond with her was greater than with most true humans.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2013, 01:22:02 pm »
My dog was my child , that is how it feels and how it is for me .

I wish everyone could know the pure feeling of love that can come from looking into the eyes of an animal who you have bonded with . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2013, 01:24:06 pm »
My dog was my child , that is how it feels and how it is for me .

I wish everyone could know the pure feeling of love that can come from looking into the eyes of an animal who you have bonded with .

:)  :)  I always felt Miss Lily could look deep into my soul through her beautiful eyes.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2013, 01:30:36 pm »

:)  :)  I always felt Miss Lily could look deep into my soul through her beautiful eyes.

OH don't be ridiculous , surly your not trying to suggest all of your dogs were special like mine . I do declare .  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2013, 01:33:25 pm »
OH don't be ridiculous , surly your not trying to suggest all of your dogs were special like mine . I do declare .  ;)

Oh please, up in doggy heaven, Miss Lily is prancing around as the queen of the ball.  Zita is one of her loyal subject though and loves it.   :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2013, 01:36:05 pm »
Oh please, up in doggy heaven, Miss Lily is prancing around as the queen of the ball.  Zita is one of her loyal subject though and loves it.   :)

My dog is now Jesus's dog . God gave it to him for his birthday so you fail .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2013, 03:33:39 pm »

I know it's  not just a dog.  That's mainly my frustration with the situation coming through.  But, I think we may have found a house.  The wife will go look at it today.  By the way, both dogs have amazingly morphed into different breeds.

Oh Thomas that's great I am keeping all things crossed , including the prayers . BTW go check on my newish beauty under canine on Orkney, she is a character, 14 months and there are times when I feel I am still getting to know her.

Owning a dog is one off the reasons I cannot be a Quaker as I know that I could not take the pacifist pledge , threaten my dog see what I can do with a walking stick .

All the best , it will work out , Betty is wise.

Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.