Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:59:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 732
Total: 732

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stopped Taking Remeron. (Because of weight gain)  (Read 22690 times)

Offline TheRoof

Stopped Taking Remeron. (Because of weight gain)
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:16:32 pm »
After of taking Remeron for 14 months I've made the decision to stop it completely. It was a really good med, but it made me gain 30 pounds. The weight gain depresses me more then the actual depression itself now. 

Before this I was 6'0 and 155. Now I am 177. I've lost 8 pounds, but I have never worked my ass off more to lose it. I just CAN'T lose it. The cravings impact my life real bad.
I've cut down my dose from 45mg to 15mg. (I was smart and weened of it) 30mg, 15mg, (Now tonight I will take 7.5mg).
What freaks me out is that even though I've cut down my dose. I still have bad cravings. Does anyone know if I stop remeron completely should my appetite return to normal?

Yes. 177 is "normal" weight for my height. But I don't feel comfortable with this as I was always skinny. So I want to be 155-160 again.
My question: Will the cravings generally subside. Because I heard they are still present at lower doses too.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:20:38 pm by TheRoof »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Stopped Taking Remeron. (Because of weight gain)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 03:33:33 pm »
My appetite returned to normal when I got off of it, but I can't recall how long it took.  You probably need to be more patient than, uh, a couple of days.

But yeah, you're still not overweight.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 05:59:42 pm »
Congrats for having taken drugs to help ease your depression, however, what a bore that it made you gain weight you don't want!  But its a good sign that the weight gain is more depressing than anything, maybe that means your depression has lifted?  You lost some weight, that's great!
Who is treating your depression?
If it is a pyschiatrist or psychologist, who you see regularly, you should be able to find an antidepressant that is not related to weight gain, such as is Remeron.
As for the fat itself.  How old are you? 
You might need to work with a nutritionist or exercise coach to understand the realities of weight gain and weight loss.  There are two types of fat you can put on.  If you added a lot of fat cells, in this weight gain, then it is difficult to lose them.  They may shrink, but the will always be hungry.  If you mostly increased the size of your existing fat cells, this is easier to lose without feeling really hungry.
Note that Remeron itself is linked to hunger and craving.  Maybe its time for a fitness coach and a change of medicine and see if that brings you back to a happy place on the weight.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 06:07:56 pm »
Yes. 177 is not overweight. But for my bone structure, it is. I had higher cholesterol after the weight gain. Even my doctor recommended that I lose 15 pounds when I was 180. I am naturally thin.

I've been trying to ween off it for 3 weeks now. Not just a couple of days.
I notice that I am getting face tingling. Restless leg syndrome.

Pretty standard side effects. Lol

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 06:12:17 pm »
My reference to patience was in connection with the normalization of your appetite and cravings.  If you re-read my post you'll see that.

I was on Remeron for years and then halted it and you and I discussed the issue of cravings a month ago.  I figure I may know something about the topic.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 06:30:05 pm »
Yeah agreed. I've been taking anti-depressants for 3 years. Not as long as some people here though still some experience with them.

I notice that Remeron can get you out of the deepest depression. Well it did that for me IMO. Though with something as effective as that of course there are side effects.  I've never had  issues with any other anti-depressants I took. Lexapro, Trazadone at different periods in my life. Never gained weight. Though different doses matter.
I know I'm getting older so I'm not as likely to be as skinny. Do you know if Remeron can effect a long-term metabolism. Though hopefully I'll start seeing results in the next couple of weeks. Probably not a large problem.

My doctor will Kill Me when she sees that I haven't lost any weight when I see her this week. From my last visit. Lmao.

Hopefully I can be 165 by New Years. With fitness. Slow steady Weight Loss.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:33:16 pm by TheRoof »

Offline joemutt

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 02:51:32 am »

I have taken remeron 15 mg for a few years now. The increased appetite varies, some days it's terrible.
Do you know if remeron is directly related to higher cholesterol?

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 10:13:29 am »
I have taken remeron 15 mg for a few years now. The increased appetite varies, some days it's terrible.
Do you know if remeron is directly related to higher cholesterol?

Yes it is. There have been studies shown that it does do that. Though not by much. In my case it did make my cholestorol higher. So signs point that it does, but I think it has something to do with the increased appetite. So we eat unhealthier foods to compensate for that.

Personally Remeron can get you out of dark depression. But sadly the cravings don't really go away ever. This is why I am stopping it. It's not the weight that is the most bothersome. It's the unhealthy appetite that I've never had before.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 05:03:42 am »
Thanks for your reply  :) I am at 15 mg but when I stop even that
I get acutely depressed, it's spooky. Luckily there s a generic of it in Europe now.

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 07:31:11 am »
Thanks for your reply  :) I am at 15 mg but when I stop even that
I get acutely depressed, it's spooky. Luckily there s a generic of it in Europe now.

Maybe it would be good if you maybe put the dose to 30mg. It will probably be more effective. Though if 15mg works for you it's good. (I know it didn't work for me) Lol that is why I was taking 45mg.

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 09:27:07 pm »
I have lost 24 pounds since stopping Remeron.

Screw You Remeron!! Even though you were the only thing helping me with depression. I do feel that I suffer from mild depression, but at least I am slim and attractive now. But looks don't really do much when you feel sad 78% of the time.  :-\

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.