Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:54:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 512
Total: 512

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV Finger-Oral Exposure  (Read 12247 times)

Offline virulens

HIV Finger-Oral Exposure
« on: March 04, 2007, 06:02:08 pm »
What is the risk of exposure and infection with HIV in these situations- all with a hiv positiv female:

1. Petting ie fingering vagina of a girl with no signs of cuts on hands, and getting lubrication on the finger by inserting it now and then into my mouth with risk of fluids from the vagina comming in contact with my mouth from my finger? And the mouth might be a bit sore from eating strong and spicy food or candy(sugar sweets).

2. Kissing with sores in the mouth from eating candy - if you eat a lot of sour candy(sugar sweets) you can get cuts and bleedings from the mouth. The female partner has no visible cuts and seems to have a good mouth hygiene.

3. Does rinsing the mouth afterwards(10-15min) - with a mouthwash ( like a cool mint strong one like Listerine) - which then caused some small bleeding from soares I got from eating candy/sweets alter the risk ?

I'm most worried that HIV might have been comming into my mouth from my fingers that I inserted into her vagina and then into my mouth to get lubrication on them...and the fingering was all the way into the vagina...and I put my fingers in my mouth to get more lubrication on them...I did this like 3 times...and the last time her vagina was really wet, but still for some reason I put my fingers in my mouth.

I rinsed my mouth with mouthwash and brushed it afterwards and then saw some blood which came out in my spit after the brushing and risning....I know many say risk with Oral sex is low, but should I think that this doesn't matter ? And not get tested, and then perhaps put a future mate at risk ?  have been very worried about this and have to wait a "long time" until I can take a test since this just happend. I always use condom on my penis, so this episode has been very spooky to me as the girl told me she was hiv positiv while I used my fingers on her... :(

Offline RapidRod

Re: HIV Finger-Oral Exposure
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 06:28:16 pm »
Take the time and go to the "Welcome" thread and follow and read the links to transmission. You didn't have a risk.

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 06:44:31 pm »
What this girl did was unfair, in my opinion. whilst its hard, I feel its only right to tell potential sexual partners my status.
You have no risk luckily, as Rods sterling advice will show you.
Keep using the condoms
x
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 07:01:23 pm »
Vir,

Kissing, no matter what sort of spin you want to put on it, is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Going down on a woman is also not a risk for hiv infection, and neither is putting fingers with vaginal fluids on them in your mouth.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms consistently and correctly and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline virulens

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 07:39:15 pm »
Thank you RapidRod, tigger2376 and Ann for your answers. It's a great comfort that you believe my risk to be so low and perhaps 0. But would you say so low that I don't need any testing at all and should just forget about this?

I might be unrational when I got so scared by this, but the shock when she told me she was hiv+ in the middle of the intimate activity I described almost gave me a black-out...I swear I could feel my heart stop for some seconds...and as you can imagine the activities did not continue.

I completly agree that informing about the hiv status should be done before you start getting intimate and kissing and such...I think we are all more rational then and will not get so scared for the potential risk we might have been exposed to without knowing...even if it is almost no risk with kissing...and then perhaps could have had a good time together...but i guess people are different and hard to moralize...

Like a follow up question...don't want to sound too nervous or something....but out of curiosity...do any of you know if there had been hiv comming into the mouth (like even in small amounts) and then 10-15 minutes or so u brush or do something with the mouth that cause a bleeding in the mouth - will it make the hiv already in the mouth more likely to infect me ? Or are these bleedings only relevant before the exposure to the hiv in the mouth - even if the risk for bleeding exposre orally seems to be regarded as very low risk ? It's still not really safe like if you were doing this often in a relationship with someone who had hiv and you did not have it ? I'm a bit confused on this... :)

(sorry for my spelling as english is not my native language)

Hug,

Virulens
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 08:14:04 pm by virulens »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 08:15:20 pm »
It's a great comfort that you believe my risk to be so low and perhaps 0.

Vir,

We did NOT say your risk was low, we said you had NO RISK. ZERO. NONE. Nothing you did with this woman put you at risk for hiv infection.

Saliva contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect. It doesn't matter that you brushed your teeth afterwards.

You need to treat anyone you have intimate relations with as though they have hiv. Not everyone who is hiv positive is aware they are infected. As long as you make sure you are using condoms when you have anal or vaginal intercourse, you will be fine. Please read my earlier post to you again.

Not only do I know these things because I have studied the facts surrounding hiv transmission, I also know because I live it. I am hiv positive and my long term partner of eight years is hiv negative. We have done everything you describe here and he is still hiv negative. We use condoms for intercourse and I am confident he will stay hiv negative.

You did NOT have a risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline virulens

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 07:56:05 pm »
Thank you for your replies - since it seem you all have much experience with hiv and when you conclude I was never at risk from this behaviour with a hiv+ woman my bad thoughts regarding this experience has been removed.

I think much confusion about this is from what I read on our local health providers pages for HIV protection where they say that all body fluids represent a threat for hiv infection - including spit and vaginal fluids. I understand some say that kissing and licking a vagina and getting vagina fluids in the mouth represents a theoretical risk only, but this theory must be pretty bad then ? Any thoughts on why many Centers for Disease Control put vaginal fluids and salvia/spit on the list of infection mediums if it doesn't represent a real risk ? Just out of curiousity... :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 08:13:24 pm by virulens »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 08:16:37 pm »
No, saliva nor spit are not infectious.

Offline virulens

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 09:20:20 pm »
In theory some claim saliva to be infectious, but in practise it show that the amount of saliva required to infect is around 20 liters - or such a huge amount that for all practical purposes it will not represent an infectin route.

May thoughts came around these two definitions/names used to label risks - documented risk and theoretical risk - and the questions I ended up with in my mind was that some CDCs seem to want people to go for the theoretical risk reducing behaviour and not just follow the documented one. This seems logical since we probably don't know the full route of transmission yet, and perhaps never will in all details, but  the vast majority of transmissions 99.9+% follow the known route.

Like when kissing is the example - all experts say kissing is no danger, but still there is one possibly documented case of lesbian kissing with very bad mouth hygiene which resulted in hiv transmission. This could imply that the general risk of kissing if you are unaware of your or your partners mouth hygiene is not 0, but a number very close to 0 - like 1/millions.

In all this confuse about hiv infection and body fluids with possible virus infections I wish the information was better and labeled with a number to the risk  - and then you could compare the low number for most activities like kissing and fingering with the chance of being hit with f ex lightning...something most people don't worry about ! :)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 09:27:33 pm »
Saliva, Tears, and Sweat

HIV has been found in saliva and tears in very low quantities from some AIDS patients. It is important to understand that finding a small amount of HIV in a body fluid does not necessarily mean that HIV can be transmitted by that body fluid. HIV has not been recovered from the sweat of HIV-infected persons. Contact with saliva, tears, or sweat has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/transmission.htm

Offline virulens

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 09:33:56 pm »
Yupp, I just read that one RapidRod, and it contains some wording which illustrates what I tried to point out in the previous post - quote from the link from cdc listed by RapidRod:

"Casual contact through closed-mouth or "social" kissing is not a risk for transmission of HIV. Because of the potential for contact with blood during "French" or open-mouth kissing, CDC recommends against engaging in this activity with a person known to be infected. "

CDC recommends against French/Open mouth kissing with a known HIV+ person.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 09:56:24 pm »
You only have to worry about open mouth kissing if a lot of blood is involved. Saliva has inhibiting factor that prevents the spread of HIV. If you have a some amount blood the saliva will inhibit it. Do you know of anyone that would kiss another person with that much blood in their mouth? Were not talking a little red ting sputum.

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 03:34:34 am »
CDC recommends against French/Open mouth kissing with a known HIV+ person
Try telling that to all the people in positive negative relationships. You've had no risk whatsoever. Rather than being spooked out by your experience you should be calling that girl up and asking her out again.

She obviously knows more about protecting your health than you do and went on a ledge informing you she was positive. Hell, she could have kept quite and had protected intercourse and not placed you at any risk.

From your multiple posts over this I bet that you called it a night right then, leaving her to wonder and question this whole disclosure thing.
Go read the lessons section and bury some misconceptions. Then, if you liked the gal and enjoyed her company, go buy her some flowers.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.