Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:18:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 342
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Jersey Assembly Votes To Restore ADAP Funding  (Read 15423 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
New Jersey Assembly Votes To Restore ADAP Funding
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:56:40 pm »
http://www.northjersey.com/news/062911_Assembly_OKs_bill_to_restore_drug_benefits_for_HIV_AIDS_patients.html

New Jersey’s state Assembly has passed a bill to reverse earlier state restrictions on income requirements for its AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP). The bill would restore eligibility to people with HIV whose incomes are five times the federal poverty level, or $55,150. The previous budget, signed last June, restricted the program to people whose incomes were three times the poverty level, or $32,490. The bill must still be signed by Governor Chris Christie before it can become law.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: New Jersey Assembly Votes To Restore ADAP Funding
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:09:52 pm »
Gov. Christie used his line item veto on that provision.

http://www.politickernj.com/49286/line-line-cuts-christie-made-dems-budget

(I really despise this guy -- he is the absolute worst NJ governor in the last 30 years)

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 01:20:18 pm »
Who is making that much money and doesn't have health insurance?  Something just doesn't seem right about ADAP needing to be up to almost 60k a year.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:46:53 pm »
Who is making that much money and doesn't have health insurance?  Something just doesn't seem right about ADAP needing to be up to almost 60k a year.

I'm sure its people like me that have preexisting conditions and have pharmacy cost approaching 50k a year . Its hard to live on whats left over .  ;) 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 02:16:55 pm »
I'm sure its people like me that have preexisting conditions and have pharmacy cost approaching 50k a year . Its hard to live on whats left over .  ;) 

That doesn't really apply to what I'm talking about.  An annual income of 60k tends to bring about a job that has healthcare as one of its benefits.  So my question is who are these people with that much income who are in need of ADAP to supply their meds?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »
Out of the top 25 highest-income counties in the entire country, three of them are in New Jersey. There are only 20 counties in that entire state. Overall the state is second in median household income. So, someone here can do the math about what 60K equals to in Louisiana dollars.

edit: a quick google shows the median income in Louisiana is $42,000 and $70,000 in New Jersey. ADAP income qualification levels, respectively, are then $32,670 and $55,150
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:20:15 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 03:50:18 pm »
Out of the top 25 highest-income counties in the entire country, three of them are in New Jersey. There are only 20 counties in that entire state. Overall the state is second in median household income. So, someone here can do the math about what 60K equals to in Louisiana dollars.

edit: a quick google shows the median income in Louisiana is $42,000 and $70,000 in New Jersey. ADAP income qualification levels, respectively, are then $32,670 and $55,150

You guys are a beating a dead horse and missing the point entirely.  Are you attempting to tell me that due to differences in income that people who make over 30k a year are uninsured in New Jersey?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 04:00:51 pm »
Are you attempting to tell me that due to differences in income that people who make over 30k a year are uninsured in New Jersey?

Sure, many small businesses don't offer any health insurance. Remind me what you do for a living and how large an operation it is you work for. That 55k job is a 30k job where you live, sorry if you see that as a dead horse. Does a 30k job in Louisiana in a business with five employees have health insurance? Also your $500/month rent is a $1000/mo rent in NJ, etc., etc.

You position isn't persuasive and is, therefore, invalid.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 04:07:51 pm »
Sure, many small businesses don't offer any health insurance. Remind me what you do for a living and how large an operation it is you work for. That 55k job is a 30k job where you live, sorry if you see that as a dead horse. Does a 30k job in Louisiana in a business with five employees have health insurance? Also your $500/month rent is a $1000/mo rent in NJ, etc., etc.

You position isn't persuasive and is, therefore, invalid.

If you say so, as a point of reference my rent is $800 a month.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 04:08:39 pm »
My only point is that one of the many reasons there is a healthcare crisis in this country is lack of insurance or access to care for many people despite what some would consider the well employed with a decent income . This issue has been a thorn in my side for the last 26 years , I have lived it . Not trying to argue , just cant understand why people think someone with a chronic medical condition lives by the same rules as healthy people , we don't .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 04:14:40 pm »
My only point is that one of the many reasons there is a healthcare crisis in this country is lack of insurance or access to care for many people despite what some would consider the well employed with a decent income . This issue has been a thorn in my side for the last 26 years , I have lived it . Not trying to argue , just cant understand why people think someone with a chronic medical condition lives by the same rules as healthy people , we don't .

I'm all for universal healthcare which of course would make this entire conversation pointless.  What I'm saying is I'm just wondering how much of this is political posturing.  I would imagine very few people who actually need ADAP would fall into that income bracket.  However I'm certain that there are some.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 04:21:16 pm »
If you say so, as a point of reference my rent is $800 a month.

You pay $800/mo rent in NO? really? -- that's luxe for those environs isn't it? That's $220 more than what I pay in the expensive Northeast, so I guess I'm slumming (or rather living within my means) but you're vague with your inflows and outflows so we can only go so far in all of this.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 04:22:58 pm »
I would imagine very few people who actually need ADAP would fall into that income bracket.  However I'm certain that there are some.

Yes, it's indeed very few, but cost effectiveness dictates accommodating these few.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 04:24:26 pm »
So Trey, when are you moving up here to be my fisting slave -- benefits will just flow to you poz engorged sphincter. I'll unpack the leather.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 04:26:38 pm »
I'm all for universal healthcare which of course would make this entire conversation pointless.  What I'm saying is I'm just wondering how much of this is political posturing.  I would imagine very few people who actually need ADAP would fall into that income bracket.  However I'm certain that there are some.

I understand your question ... Even if the government put everybody on medicare tomorrow the current income limits would make it really hard for a family or an individual who makes 30k 40k and higher in some cases to get by with all the doughnut holes and co pays , doctor visits required to maintain your health . That's what so many people fail to grasp unless they have had to live with the limitations a chronic illness can have on low- mid income or uninsured people .

The system is not kind for us with disability's that aspire to have a better life .  
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 04:27:19 pm »
You pay $800/mo rent in NO? really? -- that's luxe for those environs isn't it? That's $220 more than what I pay in the expensive Northeast, so I guess I'm slumming (or rather living within my means) but you're vague with your inflows and outflows so we can only go so far in all of this.

The closer you live to the quarter the higher rent goes.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/apa/

check 'em out.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 04:51:03 pm »
Actually I've always been shocked when I visit New Orleans at how VERY inexpensive it is.  The cost of living is dramatically lower in Louisiana for a whole lot of things.

While Hellraiser is correct that health care coverage rates generally go up with pay levels, they never reach 100%;  instead coverage rates top out at around 80%.  And of course, population statistics can be very misleading when applied to personal circumstances. 

(To put this on a personal level, one of our other forums members from NJ posted a few months back about the possible disruption to her wedding plans due to the ADAP dollar limits and how they would affect a couple versus two single individuals.)

Geeks who are interested in employer provided health care coverage stats may find this link interesting http://www.ebri.org/pdf/briefspdf/EBRI_IB_04-2011_No356_Rccsn-HlthCvg.pdf

The health care coverage by income rates are shown in Figure 6 -- coverage rates by state in figure 13.  While medan incomes are quite diferent in NJ and Louisiana, the percentage of the population covered only differs by about 5%

Interestingly, Louisiana is also the only state where coverage rates have increased recently.

Only one state, Louisiana, experienced a statistically significant increase in the percentage of workers with coverage through their own job. The percentage of workers with coverage increased from an average of 47.8 percent during 2006−2008 to an average of 50.7 percent during 2007−2009. This was a 6 percent increase in the likelihood of having coverage through a worker’s own job. Workers in three states—New York, Delaware, and Georgia—experienced a decline in the percentage with coverage through their own job. While the percentage of workers in Massachusetts with coverage from their own job increased from 54.8 percent to 56.5 percent, the change was not statistically significant
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 06:21:34 pm »

Makes sense to me. I am grateful there is the exceptional program of ADAP. 

I hope Obama Care happens sometimes soon and everyone can just afford some basic fucking insurance that will cover all basic health needs.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline camille07

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 08:34:09 am »
Hi Hellraiser-

I live in New Jersey unfortunately, and I hope this answers your question.  I got laid off in 2008 and started working from home as a graphic designer.  I was doing really well.  A year later my cobra ran out and I got health insurance (through the state) that only covered my drugs by 50% which means that I needed to get adap for my meds. 

This past year, 2011 business has been very slow.  I wanted to go out and get a job with benefits.  I also wanted health coverage for my husband who has a serious case of Psoriatic arthritis...(married in 2010).  Well, the state stopped accepting new applications for state insurance, because the program wasn't being funded.  So basically, if I get a job and get laid off in 3 months (just happened to 2 designer friends) I'm screwed because I will have no insurance.

My husband and I have looked into insurance for our company, but it's hard because he's got a pre-existing condition.  Also, I need one that has a good prescription coverage, and he needs one that focused on office visits and blood work etc. and the cost is unrealistic. 

Also, we were looking to move, but unfortunately, all the states that we were looking at have adap waiting lists.  I am sitting here in a heck of a quagmire and wonder what's next?

Camms

Offline camille07

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 08:51:33 am »
Just wanted to clarify.....

The first paragraph really is the point.  People that work from home and/or have a small business would fall under this umbrella.  The rest of the post is me ranting!

Camms

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 10:30:55 am »
we were looking to move, but unfortunately, all the states that we were looking at have adap waiting lists. 
I'm sorry that didn't work out; but I wanted to point out what a smart piece of planning that was. I've known several people to move without checking and they screwed themselves moving to states with a waiting list. The states individually administer medicaid programs, food stamps and ADAP, so different rules, requirements and amounts apply in each state. Sometimes moving is just no feasible.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 01:40:22 pm »
Just wanted to clarify.....

The first paragraph really is the point.  People that work from home and/or have a small business would fall under this umbrella.  The rest of the post is me ranting!

Camms

You are someone in roughly the exact position I figured this legislation would screw over.  Someone who is self employed or does contract work and makes pretty good money at it, but doesn't have some sort of group insurance due to their job.  It's also a pretty good explanation of why Healthcare coverage through your job doesn't work out in my opinion.  Sorry to hear about your situation Camille, I'm in a boat where I would like to return to school but cannot find a way to get my meds if I lose the insurance with my current job.

Offline camille07

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 02:53:48 pm »
Mike-  Hopefully, there will come a day when adap waiting lists will be a thing of the past.  Then I can make my move to the beautiful south.

Hellraiser-  That's too bad regarding your desire to go back to school, but hitting a brick wall with your meds.  I know you probably considered this, but have you looked into part time or online. Some very good schools are now offering decent online coarses.  However, I know the caveat with some online schools is a big price tag.  I looked into getting my masters two summers ago at the Academy of Art in San Fran.  By the time I finished, I would be 70 k in debt. OUCH!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.