Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:53:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 304
Total: 305

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Oscars  (Read 8814 times)

Offline bravebuddharich

The Oscars
« on: February 24, 2007, 10:31:42 am »
I'm most looking forward to Helen Mirren's oscar win! I really do believe she's a lock for Best Actress.

I'm torn for Best Picture, because I've entered alot of "predicting the oscars" contests, and have gone out on a limb predicting "Little Miss Sunshine" (3rd of the 5 for me). I'd actually prefer either "Babel" or "The Queen". Some say "The Departed" is going to win, but I just don't see it happening (it's last on my list of the 5). I do think Martin Scorsese will win a career award. (I'm torn between Alejandro Gonzalez Innarrittu and Stephen Frears; but AGI had a more difficult film to direct, and did it amazingly well).

I am hoping Alan Arkin will pull an upset (despite that I would vote for Jackie Earle Haley). I'm hoping there's a backlash against Eddie Murphy (I hate him; but I must admit he gave a really good acting performance).

Jennifer Hudson is a lock, but... all 5 of these nominees could be considered leads, IMO. Even the 2 (Adrianna Barrazza and Rinko Kikuchi) from Babel are leads in their respective parts of the film. I would vote for Cate Blanchett, who is certainly a lead in Notes On A Scandal. They could go the child actor route, which they have done 3 times in the past - Abigail Breslin is a lead, too, IMO. I'm shocked and disappointed that Catherine O'Hara wasn't a nominee for the funniest movie of the year "For Your Consideration" (but then again a movie that specifically mocks oscar races  might not go over well with the academy! BUT it's an acting award, and Ms. O'Hara was FANTASTIC!!!)

Ryan Gosling is my choice for Best Actor (for Half Nelson) but Forest Whitaker is a lock. A good performance in a strange bizzare film (The Last King Of Scotland). Toby Jones should have gotten a nod for Infamous, the "other Truman Capote writing In Cold Blood movie"! Also, Daniel Craig was really good as James Bond, of all movies! (He got a british academy nomination).

I always have to have a good book to read during the boring parts. I hope Ellen DeGeneres does well (I loved her Effie spoof, singing "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" - she looked like a male drag queen!!

It's Helen Mirren's win that I most want to see!!

Offline Teresa

Re: The Oscars
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 01:51:19 pm »
Ive only seen one movie that's up and that's the Queen. It was a good movie and Helen Mirren did a fantastic job in playing her. So I'm rooting for her.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:08:51 pm »
Babel is about the only thing I went to see, and it was fabulous
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 02:23:48 pm »
It's been so long since I paid attention to the Oscars.  I see about 1 movie in a theater every other year. 

The only nominated movie I've seen is Little Miss Sunshine and I loved it but doubt it will get an Oscar (I'm a sucker for almost any movie with a cute underdog kid, especially when the kid can act).   Actually, I watched a horrible download of the Departed (it was listed under "horror") but realized it was filmed in a theater and the dialog was inaudible.  Just seeing what I saw was enough to convince me I don't want to see it.  All that violence...  I don't have a clue about he other best pic nominations.

I'll see the Queen because I love Helen Mirren.  I watched Half Nelson twice and it didn't really affect me one way or another even though I like Ryan Gosling.   I liked the Devil wears Prada (Emily Blunt was the best thing in it) but hope Mirren gets the best actress (then again, Judi Dench is also deserving even though I haven't seen Notes on a Scandal yet either).  Streep has enough awards already.

I'd love to see Abigail Breslin get best supporting actress but it's a long shot.

I don't think my TV gets the ABC affiliate so will probably miss the show as I have every year for the past 10 or more. 

Boo

String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 02:43:10 pm »
I'm pulling for Helen Mirren and Jennifer Hudson.

To me Jennifer's role was bigger than Beyonce's (lead) in Dream Girls...

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 02:53:32 pm »
If I really want to see something I go, but it's rather rare.  Generally I will just buy the DVD and watch it at home, then I own it for almost the same price as the seemingly overly expensive cinema experience.  Though when I go home to visit my parents my father likes to take me to the movies as our bonding session, since I don't play golf.  I did, however, teach him how to make good at a gym.  I don't do actual contact sports where balls might fly in my nose, Ambular!

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 05:43:48 pm »
I just saw "Breach" the other night.  Surprisingly, I really enjoyed the movie.  I didn't think Ryan Phillippe was going to do a good job with his part when I saw the preview.  I was totally wrong.  And I love Laura Linney, though she seemed to have little to actually do. 

Funny that such a slow moving movie kept you so entranced and didn't seem slow moving in the sense of making you bored.  I only wanted it to end so I could pee!  I bought an Iccee for $4 since I couldn't bring myself to pay the same price for water.  And funny thing, well I thought so.............I asked for mixed flavors, the only two being cherry, and blue raspberry, the guy topped it off with a bit of coke.  It was quite good and not as dry as they can usually be without the soda. He didn't even ask if I wanted it, he just did it.

It doesn't take much to entertain me.

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 05:57:25 pm »

Doesn't anyone long for the days when we DIDN'T know who was going to win? I hate picking up the trades and being told "it's already been decided that Mirren, Whittacker, etc will win".

What's the point in watching then? (And don't say the fashion because I could care less.)

Offline cph9680

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 06:09:18 pm »
The only thing I saw that's been nominated was Al Gore's documentary, and that was awesome.  Hope he wins

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 06:10:59 pm »
The only thing I saw that's been nominated was Al Gore's documentary, and that was awesome.  Hope he wins

I'm just about to head to the video store!  Thanks for the reminder!

Boo

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline ManISOMan

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 07:49:51 pm »
I think people watch the Oscars for the fashion.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 04:57:11 pm »
I have not seen any of the movies up for an Oscar. But Helen Mirren has my vote from her other movie Elizabeth 1. It is sad when the winners are predicted for you. But they can be wrong. It does seem like people are more interested in what the actor/ttresses is wearing...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 06:50:46 pm »
I want the black hat Mirren wore in THE QUEEN. I can't think of a single occasion when wearing it wouldn't work. Not one. Just think of it. Shopping. Reading. Screwing. Demanding to see the manager. At the gym. A barbeque. The grocery store. At AM3. Telling Damien's dumb masseuse where to go. Dancing. Writing a new thread. Voting. At street demos.  

OK. Maybe not during a haircut. But it can be sitting there closeby ready to go back into place immediately afterwards.

This is a simple and a reasonable request. Mirren can have the Oscar. I want the hat.

I know this is not exactly on point about the Oscars but I WANT THAT HAT!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 08:11:05 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 06:53:05 pm »
Designer gowns, jewels and celebrities?  What's not to love?

OMG Jodi Foster's on the red carpet.  ADORE HER.  In fact I *became* her during an acid trip once.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 06:54:27 pm »
I'm pulling for Helen Mirren and Jennifer Hudson.

To me Jennifer's role was bigger than Beyonce's (lead) in Dream Girls...

Even if it wasn't, she seriously upstaged everyone.  That song ... my god... she can SING
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 06:58:35 pm »
For gawdsakes, forget about all that stuff. I WANT THAT HAT!
Andy Velez

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 07:15:04 pm »
** hands andy the hat
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 07:29:48 pm »

There's the hat for you, Andy, but you may have to wrestle Helen for it... can I watch? ;D

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 07:45:07 pm »
She ain't gotta chance. For the hat. Like I said, she can have Oscar.

That photo doesn't do the hat justice. You need full frontal. 
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 07:49:25 pm »
Full frontal it is then!

Your wish is my command... just as long as you let me watch you wrestle her for the hat! I'll start mixing the jello......
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 07:52:34 pm »
Many thanks, Ann. Perfect! You're a peach.

You get a ringside seat. Fellas, start the jello machine
Andy Velez

Offline Basquo

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 10:41:57 pm »
Jennifer Hudson won!!!  I'm so happy for her!  I didn't see the others, but she was very good.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 11:29:05 pm »
I'm rooting for Helen Mirren too. Excellent actress...
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 11:54:33 pm »
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 11:59:14 pm »
I don't know Andy, I think that hat would look better on me.

You know, something about bald men in black hats.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 02:08:45 am »
I just finished watching Masterpiece Theatre.  Tonight was part II of the Jane Tennison mysterys, Prime Suspect Last Witness.  I had seen it before and it was just as good the 2nd time around.  So what's the deal?  Well, Helen Mirren plays Det. Tennison and she is just incredible.

If you're a Helen Mirren fan, you better watch these mysteries.  There are 6 of them, I think the 1st one came out about 1992 and the last one was just last fall.  They are a must see.  .

robert

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 06:34:37 am »
Outside of Ellen,who was excellent as usual, the entire show was the most tedious and boring of all time. After an hour and a half I threw in the towel. Alan Arkin? He was only in the movie for like 10 minutes?  How does Little Miss Sunshine even get nominated. I mean it was good movie, but just your typical hollywood movie about a collection of oddballs.  When Arkin beat out the great performance of Murphy and the dude from Blood Diamond the entire thing became a big joke.
The whole Algore group jerk off was sickening but fits the  earth in the balance scam, really quite brilliant. Keeps Fat Al rolling in the dough for a long time. How much global warming was done by all the private jets and limos transporting these hypocrites to the Show? God, I hate penquins.
At the hour and half mark I switched to SVU reruns.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 06:47:15 am by jack »

Offline dtwpuck

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 06:47:57 am »
Are all Republicans as cuddly as you?

Offline mjmel

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 07:01:26 am »
I'm with Jack on this.
After the fiasco last year I kinda lost any resemblance of respect for the Oscars. Yes, i know.......i know.........the world will not even notice.

Robert, thanks for the tip--> Jane Tennison mysteries.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 08:54:04 am by mjmel »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 08:28:40 am »
Mark, I can live with TWO of the big, black hats in circulation. I just want one of them so by all means, you should get one too.

There was entirely too much good taste in the Oscar show last night. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
The closest thing to a train wreck was Celine wailing away seemingly endelessly from somewhere under her entire makeup collection which only emphasized her anorexic look. We needed lots more of that sort of nonsense. When Hollywood congratulates itself on all the social consciousness in its movies, as several did last night, that's good for a chuckle. But what we needed was the kind of crowd stunner like the now legendary Snow White opener of a decade or so ago to get things off on the wrong foot.

Also, I was very, very disappointed that Mirren didn't wear the black hat when she accepted her Oscar. Talk about a missed op.

Andy Velez

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 08:43:49 am »
The closest thing to a train wreck was Celine wailing away seemingly endelessly from somewhere under her entire makeup collection which only emphasized her anorexic look. We needed lots more of that sort of nonsense.  

LOL!  :D Did you all see Celine's "constipated face" at the end!?!??! That was a riot!!!  :D  :D But yeah, good taste last night, I loved what Melissa Etheridge said -something about taking care of Earth is not a Republican thing or a Democrat thing  :)

Offline bear60

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 09:16:52 am »
I was watching the 1937 version of "A Star is Born"  on another channel during the oscars......I flipped back and forth a few times and noticed that the oscar event in the "Star is Born" was the 8th annual Oscars and the one last night was the 79th annual......lol.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 09:40:38 am »
*yawn*  the yearly Oscar whines have started

At least Scorsese FINALLY won an Oscar, and one singular eternal injustice in Hollywood was corrected.

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 11:14:37 am »
Penelope Cruz and Jennifer Lopez looked really nice. It seemed like the chics didn't put much effort into their clothes this year.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 11:32:55 am »
I was on the fence about J-Lo's dress.  Her hair was fab though.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 11:55:26 am »
I really tried to sit through it but couldn't. I got as far as watching Will Smith's kid and some little girl do presentations...I am glad that Jennifer Hudson won, sorry that Eddie Murphy didn't. Guess he better stick with what he knows best...comedy....Anyone seen Norbit yet? Glad Helen Mirren won too...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline mjmel

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 12:06:34 pm »
I was on the fence about J-Lo's dress.  Her hair was fab though.

tee hee hee

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2007, 12:35:07 pm »
I tried to watch the Oscars for about 5 minutes, tuning in when Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio were on.  I could hear them well enough but the picture was so blurry and speck-filled I turned back to my DVR and AbFab.   

I'm glad I didn't waste any more time since the only win I agree with is Helen Mirren. 

Little Miss Sunshine was far better than The Departed, which was just a bunch of people beating up and shooting each other.  Too much blood.

Boo

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2007, 01:05:56 pm »
She looked the best.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2007, 01:09:49 pm »
She looked the best.

How dare you poke fun at Sally Kirkland!!  She dresses like that on purpose...

Boo

Offline bear60

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2007, 01:49:46 pm »
Who is Sally Kirkland.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2007, 10:51:12 pm »
I watched Oprah's "after Oscar" show today....

Now, I have always LOVED Oprah, have watched her for years....why is it that here lately she is getting on my nerves?   I think it is because she is doing so many celebrity-related shows, or movie promos or whatever....and very little human interest.

I'm getting more like my brother every day.   If any kind of awards show or anything about "celebrities" comes on (like ET, or Access Hollywood) he immediately flips the channel.   Why are so many people today so tabloid and media crazy?   Can you believe the money these paparazzi get for some of the photos they take?  Our whole country is nuts.

Forgive me, I'm having an "I'm Fifty" day......
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2007, 11:09:13 pm »
I watched them, but they really were pretty boring. 
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2007, 11:36:46 pm »
The Oscars were pretty boring. I maintain an interest because one of my brothers is in the film industry - got nominated for a BAFTA once. My other brother has been nominated twice for a BAFTA. Neither won.

Still, the conveyor belt of self congratulation was lame. I like it when they fall appart and cry or try and thank everyone under the sun as the music is playing.

Cameron Diaz changed her hair. She looks better as a blond. I'd still swoon at her...like she'd give me the time of day...

R

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2007, 11:56:00 pm »
Who is Sally Kirkland.

Shame on you!  Sally Kirkland in IMDB

Now that I quickly scan the list Adam and Steve (blah...) is the most recent flick I've seen but she's been in a ton of other movies and has played a lot more TV than I realized. 

She is also the woman below:

and this pic was allegedly taken at or around the Oscars, which puts us back on-thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.