Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:41:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 596
Total: 597

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Private Insurance & Allowable Benefit  (Read 6321 times)

Offline hereandnow87

Private Insurance & Allowable Benefit
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:45:51 pm »
Hi All,

I recently reviewed my prescription drug plan that I have with my employer.  I discovered that my allowable benefit that my employer offers is $10,000.  As of current, my employer gets a discounted price of $1,754 that is applied to the cost of my medication (Atripla).  I have a $100 copay that I contribute for a 30 day supply. 

However, given the numbers stated above, I would exceed my allowable benefit of $10,000 by June of this year.  At that juncture, I then would be responsible for the $1,754 charge my employer pays.  Given that this would be a significant financial strain, does any one have any suggestions or insight as to what I could do to help manage the cost?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

-Hereandnow88

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
Re: Private Insurance & Allowable Benefit
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:36:08 am »
Hi All,

I recently reviewed my prescription drug plan that I have with my employer.  I discovered that my allowable benefit that my employer offers is $10,000.  As of current, my employer gets a discounted price of $1,754 that is applied to the cost of my medication (Atripla).  I have a $100 copay that I contribute for a 30 day supply. 

However, given the numbers stated above, I would exceed my allowable benefit of $10,000 by June of this year.  At that juncture, I then would be responsible for the $1,754 charge my employer pays.  Given that this would be a significant financial strain, does any one have any suggestions or insight as to what I could do to help manage the cost?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

-Hereandnow88

That sounds odd, I thought such maxima were forbidden under the Affordable Healthcare Act.

See http://www.healthcare.gov/law/features/costs/limits/index.html

Are you sure the information you have about your employer medical benefits is up to date ?

If so, you may be able to enroll in ADAP to supplement the benefit, and/or copay assistance programs from the drug manufacturer. You could pay for your med copays with pretax money in an FSA in particular, but that would have required you to elect the FSA at open enrollment.

Offline hereandnow87

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:00:05 am »
Hi madbrian,

Thanks for the insight.  I reached out to the manufacturer and was told about an assistance copay program that I can enroll in as of now to cover my expense.  Once I reach my allowable benefit, the manufacturer mentioned that I could enroll into their assistance program where they would be able to cover the cost of the medication.

Thanks again for your help!

All the best,

Offline HouDave

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:21:21 am »
My Ins RX is only $2500/yr so I have been buy the gentric version of Atripla from Online Canadian Pharm.  $230 per 30 pills.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 08:03:01 pm »
I just have to wonder what kind of insurance plans you guys have, since apparently all plans nowadays must have annual limits at least $750,000 .

Again, see http://www.healthcare.gov/law/features/costs/limits/index.html .

Either that info is incorrect, or your plans are not in compliance with the 2010 healthcare law.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:20:41 am »
I just have to wonder what kind of insurance plans you guys have, since apparently all plans nowadays must have annual limits at least $750,000 .

Again, see http://www.healthcare.gov/law/features/costs/limits/index.html .

Either that info is incorrect, or your plans are not in compliance with the 2010 healthcare law.
from the linked page
"•Some plans may be eligible for a waiver from the rules concerning annual dollar limits, if complying with the limit would mean a significant decrease in your benefits coverage or a significant increase in your premiums."

Generally the plans that are getting waivers are "mini-med" plans.  Several hundred plans have received waivers and I think there is data saying that there are about 2 million people in those plans although I can't find the link just now.  The waivers are annual (but renewed easily) and are expected to go away after 2013 if the health care reform stays in effect.

There's a well written (but dated) explanation at this site http://factcheck.org/2010/12/health-care-law-waivers/

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 02:51:32 pm »
I intended to post yesterday about my pleasant surprise at the pharmacy counter,  came back today, and happened upon this thread.

My pleasant surprise was that for the first time that I recall, I refilled a group of my meds (including HIV meds name brand and generic) and the total co-pay cost came to $0.0.

I actually said to the pharmacist "I like 0 dollar!"  I then re-checked the bag to make sure I actually had all of my meds.

I stood there grinning from ear to ear like a Black Gomer and the pharmacist grinned back.

:D

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 02:57:50 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.