Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 296
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 292
Total: 292

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Feeling the effects of age with HIV  (Read 6231 times)

Offline blondbeauty

Feeling the effects of age with HIV
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:50:24 pm »
I am 41 and today I discovered ugly hairs are starting to grow on my ears. I guess this is one of the effects of getting old being HIV +  :-\
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Feeling the effects of age with HIV
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:57:25 pm »
 Look on the bright side of it . By the time you are 80 you wont need earmuffs when its cold outside .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 11:05:49 pm »
I don't understand what it has to do with HIV.  It's just getting older.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 11:08:16 pm »
I am 41 and today I discovered ugly hairs are starting to grow on my ears. I guess this is one of the effects of getting old being HIV +  :-\

Probably has more to do with getting older than anything else.  If you ever wanna have some fun, instead of trimming with clippers try plucking them out with tweezers.  My eyes are getting all watery just thinking about it.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 11:13:41 pm »
Oh, ear hair is nothing. Just wait until you see the other fun surprises waiting for you!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:14:00 pm »
I bought a eyebrow trimmer last month and it didn't seem to work very well so I pushed on it really hard and almost shaved off my right brow . I kinda freaked out and quickly did the other one to try and even it out . I hope they grow back LOL .  
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 11:14:43 pm »
Hairy ears, hairy noses and hairy eye brows...welcome to the 40's.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:22:26 pm »
My back is also becoming hairy... >:( >:( >:(
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 12:53:59 am »
I have hairs on my ears since my late teens....just have your barber use clippers on your ears when you get a trim.  Not a big deal. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 04:21:32 am »
I think Blond is joking about thinking its related to HIV.
Just keep it all trimmed.  Eyebrows too, when they start to get bushy. 
Only reallly old guys can get away with busy eyebrows and hairy ears - as in 70, and preferably college professors or the like. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:36:30 am »
I bought a eyebrow trimmer last month and it didn't seem to work very well so I pushed on it really hard and almost shaved off my right brow . I kinda freaked out and quickly did the other one to try and even it out . I hope they grow back LOL .  

I almost fell out of my chair laughing!!!!!   Oh, I'm sorry that's not nice ... but was funny.  Poor you,  I hope they grow back quickly.

As they say getting older sucks but beats the alternatives.  ::)
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 06:56:17 am »

Wait until the 50's.  Your eyebrows will grow together, and you can braid your noise hair.  I've got more hair growing out of my body then I ever did.  Never seem to loose any either. looking like a character from planet of the apes ! My back is starting to get hairy. Just getting older. Just another part of the body for my partner to shave.   :P  I am almost to the point, where two shaves a day
wouldn't hurt.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline john33

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 07:01:11 am »
.  Your eyebrows will grow together, and you can braid your noise hair.  

I though the eyebrows growing together was a sign of madness (which could explain a lot in my case  :D)
As for the rest thats why god created trimmers

John

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 09:45:03 am »
I am glad not to be the only one with that problem. This morning I pulled them out with some tweezers. Painful but effective!  ;D ;D ;D I feel young again!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 09:45:56 am »
Just wait until you see the other fun surprises waiting for you!
When I was 18 and came home from my first semester away at college, the first words out of my mom's mouth when she saw me was, "omigod, you're so thin!". :o As she hugged me, she continued with, "omigod! and you've got gray hair!". :o By the time I was 30, it was nearly all white. Ever since then I've never been surprised by what my aging body is going to do (at least hair-wise. ;D Though I have a receding hairline, I'm not going bald like either of my younger brothers, and Ms Clairol #114 returns my hair to it's rightful shade so all is right with the world. ROFL

I am almost to the point, where two shaves a day wouldn't hurt.
Been doing that already since I was 18 too. Thankfully I've still only got a little fuzz just at my beltline on my back and down my ass to offset my hairy chest. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 11:15:40 am »

Here is your keyword for when you get older, it's called GROOMING, and yes they actually have devices you can buy at any drug store to trim them annoying ear and noise hairs  ;D Hell I wish I could remember when I was 41........lucky you  ::)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 05:25:16 pm »
Do you notice it more when the moon is full? [Couldn't resist.]

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 05:51:10 pm »
Ear hairs?  That's what tweezers are for... although I usually just grab one with finger and thumb and yank hard.  Haven't had nose hairs but vaguely recall cautions about pulling them out since they may be olfactory hairs (or whatever they're called).   My eyebrows both veer off midway with a random sampling of longer hairs sticking up in a longish curl.  I attribute it to being of Scottish descent. 

If I remember to look in the mirror and comb my head hair and facial hair before leaving the house it's a good day.  With my menagerie I'm constantly combing hairs out of my mustache & beard or else swallow them unintentionally.  Even right out of the dryer my clothes have animal hair on them and I used to spend millions of dollars on lint rollers.  When I stopped buying them several manufacturers went belly up... now I shake everything before putting it on and to hell with the remaining hairs.

String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 11:58:07 am »
Tweezers, trimmers... how unmanly! Nothing beats open flames when removing ear hairs. A swift movement with a zippo or a grill lighter, et voilá! No residues, no pain, just pure satisfaction.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 06:34:11 pm »
Tweezers, trimmers... how unmanly! Nothing beats open flames when removing ear hairs. A swift movement with a zippo or a grill lighter, et voilá! No residues, no pain, just pure satisfaction.

If I only singed ear hairs eventually my ears would look like small clumps of zoysia grass between burnings.  Tweezers and fingers can pull out the root so it never bothers me again.  Besides, my myopia is so bad I cannot clearly see as far as my ears so would probably suffer serious lobe burns in my inept fashion.

String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »

Chuck Norris pulls his ear hairs out with his teeth while throwing spinning side kicks.... now that is one tough SOB!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline randym431

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2010, 10:28:08 pm »
40's? OH NO!!
Thats when you can go to bed feeling great, and wake up walking with a limp wondering what the hell happened. Those sudden overnight pains that come out of nowhere and last for a couple weeks.
Your shoulder, leg, knee, arm, back...especially your back.
Its called the 40's. Hiv might make it worse, but probably not.
Wait till the eye sight starts going, hearing, weightgain just by looking at food.

Liked what someone once said about smoking and getting older...
Smoking can cut 10 years off your life, but those are the crappy years so who  cares anyway.   ;D
Woody Allen?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:31:13 pm by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.