Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:29:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 191
Total: 192

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Kevin's Questions  (Read 7368 times)

Offline kevin

Kevin's Questions
« on: July 10, 2006, 05:10:50 am »
I see that Valdez and Ann have been constantly stating that Male to Female HIV transmission is a significantly lower risk than Male to Male. I also read from one of the two posters that a single occurance of heterosexual unprotected sex makes the chance even lower. Will Valdez, Ann or any of the experts comment and elaborate on this?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
Re: Kevin's Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 07:07:47 am »
Kevin,

Because of the mechanics of anal sex,  male to male transmission is a much higher risk than male to female (vaginal).  But they are both high risk.  It's female to male transmission that is more difficult to achieve, and is, I think, the statement they've made and you've misinterpreted.

So what's your point??

Morgan

PS. I have yet to see any risk assessment rendered by either Ann or Andy refuted by the most up to date science of hiv transmission. 

You're barking up the wrong tree.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 06:38:27 pm by Morgan »
Morgan Landers

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 07:52:14 am »
Kevin, by definition a woman's inner structure sexually creates a significantly larger and receptive area in which HIV can be transmitted.

Let me clarify the matter of "low risk for a single incident," which is not correct as you have indicated.

The relatively low level of risk during a single exposure through male-female intercourse is for the man. Being uncircumcised can increase the risk for a man, but even then the means by which transmission can occur is still much less than for a woman.

For a man who is having anal sex with a man, the insertive partner is at lesser risk than the receptive partner, but both are risk. 
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 07:53:24 am »
Kevin,

You've not been reading closely.

I see that Valdez and Ann have been constantly stating that Male to Female HIV transmission is a significantly lower risk than Male to Male.

I've never stated that in my life and I don't believe Andy has either. What we say is that hiv transmission is difficult to achieve from a woman TO a man. In other words, it is difficult for a man to become infected through vaginal intercourse as the insertive partner.

Transmission is more difficult to achieve in general FROM the receptive partner TO the insertive partner and this is mainly because the area where transmission is likely to take place in the insertive partner - in the cells lining the urethra and foreskin - is much smaller than the area where transmission is likely to take place in the receptive partner.

Both the anal and vaginal receptive partner are at greater risk of transmission because there are many more hiv receptive cells present in the lining of the rectum and vagina. They both have a larger surface area than the urethra and they are also in more direct contact with fluids that might contain hiv.

It is not "male to male" intercourse that is more risky. It is anal intercourse that is more risky all round than vaginal intercourse. This is because the lining of the rectum is more fragile than the lining of the vagina. Trauma to the anal area will slightly increase the risk to the insertive partner because of the possibility of blood being present and this is true whether is it male/male anal intercourse or male/female anal intercourse. In other words, it is the type of intercourse - anal - that carries a bit more risk for both parties, no matter if the people involved are men or women.

As for your question about one act lowering the risk, it is purely a law of averages type thing. If you decide to play russian roulette with a loaded gun, the chance of you dodging the bullet from a single pull of the trigger are much higher than if you decide to pull the trigger more than once.

If you go around having unprotected intercourse, the more you do it the greater the chance is that you are going to end up hiv positive. However, it only takes one time to infect - and you never know when that one time will be.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kevin

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 06:33:14 pm »
So what's your point??
Morgan
I really wasn't trying to make a point. I wanted to know what valdez and ann meant when they said that male to female risk is lower than male to male.

thanks for your posts val and ann. And ann, you don't have to remind me about practicing safe sex, I do every single time. It was a just a simple inquiry for my knowledge. thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 05:20:18 am »
Kevin,

I hope you read our posts carefully this time, but I'm not sure you did. For a start, you're still writing about male to female risk being lower and we've told you it is NOT male to female that is lower, it is female to male. Big difference.

Also, you seem to insist on calling Andy "Valdez". It's not "Valdez", it's VELEZ. It's rude to misspell a person's name when the correct spelling is provided for you. Please read closer in future.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline kevin

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 06:07:08 pm »
My apologies, Ann.

Offline kevin

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 05:26:12 am »
To all the experts [Velez, Ann, Etc.], a while back on June 15th, I had insertive unprotected vaginal sex for about 10-12 seconds. I did ejaculate probably before the 12 second mark. Yes I know it was a foolish thing and I waiting to test on the 13th week which is mid September.

Now my question is, based on the information I have given, are the odds testing negative high? She tested negative the next day, but its really hard to trust her because I know she lies.

Thanks a bunch!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 06:10:21 am »
Kevin,

Yes, the odds are significantly in your favour that your test result will be negative, especially in light of your very brief experience.

You can't go by what someone says about their test results, unless you are in a securely monogamous relationship with them and have actually tested together with them and looked at their results with your own eyes. Hiv is nothing to guess or assume about. In your case, you can ONLY go by your own test results.

I do hope you are using condoms now, and have read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them properly.

And by the way, whether you, as the insertive partner, ejaculated or not makes no difference. Ejaculation only makes a difference to the receptive partner.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline kevin

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 01:49:09 am »
I had unprotected vaginal sex with someone of unknown HIV status on the night of July 25, 2006. I was masturbating and she begged for me to ejaculate in her. For some reason, my hormones got the best of me, and I did penetrate her for about 10 seconds or so, just to ejaculate.

I tested for HIV last wednesday on September 6, 2006 and I will be getting my results tomorrow. It will be a 6 week test. How conclusive will this be if it is negative? I will be confirming this at the 13th week mark or later if it turns out to be negative, but I just want to know how much of a peace of mind can I get from a 6 week test.

Thanks to the experts and all!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 01:51:33 am by kevin »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 02:01:28 am »
Kevin,

The majority of people who test positive do so at about the 22 day mark. If as we expect you do test negative tomorrow on your 6 week test then it's an excellent indicator that you'll test negative at 12-13 weeks.

Remember though, if you receive a negative result tomorrow, you still need to have a confirmatory test done at the 12-13 week mark.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.