Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:42:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 165
Total: 166

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Whey Protein Powder?  (Read 18457 times)

Offline 0608

Whey Protein Powder?
« on: August 03, 2012, 01:16:08 pm »
Hello, guys.  I'm + and enjoy (well, on most days) working out.  I'd used whey protein powder to gain muscle before I found out I'm positive.  And I was hoping to be able to use it again, but I wanted to get some feedback from other +s.

Mainly, I just wanted to check that the whey powder won't interfere with drug therapy or increase side effects and damage the body in some way that I'm not aware of right now.  Thanks for your opinions!

Offline Common_ground

Re: Whey Protein Powder?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 01:49:37 pm »
Hey 0608, I take Optimum Nutrition Whey 100%. Dont know what your diet looks like but too much protein can have an impact on your kidneys some studies have shown. A scoop or two after working out shouldnt be a problem thou. I make sure I drink plenty of water to keep the renal function going.
Do you check your kidneys just as with CD4 and VL?
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline 0608

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 04:40:59 pm »
Hi, Common_ground.  Thank you for the tip.  I actually haven't started my lab work yet (will do later this month), so I wasn't aware of the kidney checks.  I'll definitely be asking my doctor about that.

When you talk about the protein's impact on kidneys, were you talking in general or specifically about us pozzies?  Also, could I ask how often you take whey when you're working out?  I work out 3-5 times a week, and I was planning to take one scoop on each workout day. (My diet is average protein-wise, aside from the whey powder).

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:57:41 pm »
Eating a lot of protein puts a strain on anyone's kidneys.

People taking meds that already strain the kidneys might get to a dangerous level sooner than the average bear.

I use a scoop of protein powder once a day for post-workout shake, and also tend to lean towards a fairly robust protein diet. I'm on Isentress, Prezista, Norvir and Truvada and kidney/liver functions remain normal, even when I load that protein shake up with rum because, well, friday.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:30:35 am »

I actually haven't started my lab work yet (will do later this month), so I wasn't aware of the kidney checks.  I'll definitely be asking my doctor about that.

You may find it helpful to read through the The Blood Tests You'll Need section of our Lessons before you see your doctor. Most doctors will already be on top of what labs you need to have done, but it never hurts for you to make sure he's running all the right ones. Doctors forget things sometimes, just like anyone.

You should also be checked for all other STIs, including (but not limited to) hep B and hep C. These are tests that you won't need every time, but they should be done at least once or twice a year, depending on how sexually active you are. They absolutely should be done at the beginning of your diagnosis, regardless of how active you are.

Make sure you also read through some of the other Lessons too. They're all written in easy-to-understand English so they're easy to digest. Feel free to come back into the forums to ask any questions that may arise while you read.

As others have said, the protein powder shouldn't be a problem. Just don't overdo it (and it sounds like you won't). Something to keep in mind - all things in moderation, including moderation! ;)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline donyork1

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 04:54:59 pm »
Hi I tested poz 1 year ago July 26 cd4 was 69 and VL was 92,000 My weight had dropped from 192 down to 168 My doctor is head of the infectious disease dept at Hershey Medical Center...I started on whey protein Isolate 28. Do the research on whey, this has 28 grams per 8 oz glass or water plus loaded with amino acids..I needed the protein 2 glasses a day to get my weight back up, after it reached 190 I dropped back to 1 glass a day in morning...Now I started triathlon training for the ironman in Hawaii 2014 and I need the protein for muscle repair..again my doctor is fine with the extra amount of protein because the muscles need the protein for repair after workouts..Again in moderation..For my weight I need approx 85 grams of protein a day normally without working out..simple calculation take weight, div in half, than deduct 10 and that's the approx amount of protein u need normally.  Hope this helps. 

Offline Valmont

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 04:41:36 pm »
I have a similar problem, I´ve always been thin (165 lbs for 1,87 m), but since I´ve started med, I notice I´m loosing weight (5 to 7 lbs), I tried to take Ensure (Abbott) but including small dosing make me having diarreas.

I also feel weaker, it really bothers me...  I´m playing Rugby, but that way, they´re going to put me in 3 pieces very soon......  I don´t know what to do to increase muscle weight (well I had this problem also before havinh HIV)...
Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline Esquare

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 02:07:32 am »
I've consumed 2-3 scoops per day of whey protein for the past two years and I also consume a few servings of creatine per week to assist with my workouts. My t-cells went up around 100 or so and have remained within this time period. i have no idea if its a coincidence or what but that's the case. I have an undetectable VL and am on Atripla.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 03:37:21 am »
I would be more careful about creatine supplementation than any protein intake -- renal function, etc. Hopefully you have informed your doctor that your are taking this and what amount.

And yes, I've taken it myself but that was over a decade ago before there was much literature on it.

linky

People with HIV also need to be aware of the risk of long-term toxicity with creatine supplementation, Giorgo Sakkas told aidsmap. Apart from causing muscle pain and cramping in the shorter term, creatine may also cause kidney damage with longer term use, especially if the dose is too high or the user is suffering from renal insufficiency. There may be a particular risk in those patients taking tenofovir or other drugs associated with raised creatine levels.

I'm not saying not to take it, just to make sure your doctor knows and can monitor the appropriate stuff in your regular lab work, as well as discuss proper dosing.

ps: t-cells going up by 100 really have nothing to do with creatine or whey powder -- you can't prove that in the absence of that they would have done the same thing. It's as if I said I binged on coke for a month and my t-cells increased by 200. Sometimes things just happen, and outside of a controlled study your statement means nothing.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:41:19 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline keat85

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 02:32:23 pm »
When you discuss the protein's effect on renal system, were you discussing in common or particularly about us pozzies?  Also, could I ask how often you take pure whey protein when you're operating out?  I perform out 3-5 periods per weeks time, and I was preparing to take one information on each exercise day.

Offline surf18

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 08:40:06 pm »
I take 3 sccops of Optimum Whey a day. I have before HIV and after the last 2 years. Kidney function are fine. Whey in the form of 3 or so a day is fine.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.