Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:04:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 448
Total: 448

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What To Expect?  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Torey

• Anticipate Miracles
    • MindUnite.Com
What To Expect?
« on: March 29, 2009, 06:18:40 am »
*waves*

I know you may have seen me popping in and asking questions - and always being the one who is afraid to get himself and his numbers checked.

But I want to take the plunge and go ahead.  I want to go to my local clinic.  But I'm scared because I don't know what to expect.  I know that all clinics are different, but how long will I have to wait to see my numbers when they draw blood?  What else do they do?  Just some generic advice would be good - I like in Louisiana, if that helps - Ouachita Parish.  Thanks.  Sorry to be a pest.  :'(
Seroconversion 2006 (?)
Jan 08 - CD4 409 (28.5%)  VL-10,000
May 09 - CD4 297 (19.2%) VL-92,000
October 09 - CD4 244 (15.2%) VL-116,000
December 09 - CD4 239 (13.5%) VL-142,000
(No Meds)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Re: What To Expect?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 06:28:47 am »
Another Louisiana native here!  My husband grew up in New Orleans and I grew up in East Baton Rouge Parish.  We moved up north nearly 12 years ago.

Typically, we get Mim's lab slips in the mail before her actual appointment.  She has her labs done, then we see the doctor.  By the time we see the doctor, all the tests are in except for the viral load which generally takes 2wks to get back.  We have her ID labs and her fasting lipid labs done at the same time.

We've just switched ID doctors, so I'm not quite sure what he'll do.  We've seen him once and he didn't order any labs. Expect a comprehensive head-to-toe exam on your first visit.  You'll probably be asked a zillion questions.  Be honest about the answers no matter how embarrassing. He/she has most likely heard it all before and isn't going to be shocked by your answers. 

I know that some here have their labs done a couple of weeks before they see their doctor so that the results will be in by their appointment.  When you make your appointment, ask to talk to the doctor's nurse.  She should be able to answer your general procedural quesitons.

Good luck!
Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Torey

• Anticipate Miracles
    • MindUnite.Com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 06:33:37 am »
Oooh another Louisianian!  :) *happy waving*  Thank you so much for your kind post - I appreciate the heads-up and glimpse into what to expect.  I will talk to the nurse, too, as you suggested.  I don't have much clue as to the lingo so I may be asking more questions  :-[  Thanks so much!
Seroconversion 2006 (?)
(No Meds)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 11:23:43 am »
Hi Torey, welcome back.

As you may recall we discussed your situation 10 months ago in this thread:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=21093.0

I see that you've still not gone back in for testing during this time, so yeah I'm concerned, but I guess you are too.  You really need to just bite the bullet and go to the clinic and try not to worry about what to expect.  I promise you that just the act of "going" being hard in terms of expectations is mostly just you turning the thought process of the unknown over and over in your head, mostly because as you openly have stated you have some pre-existing mental issues  for which you've not been obtaining treatment, or assume that is still your situation.

Here's what I would suggest, considering that potentially an HIV clinic in Ouachita Parish isn't that far off from where I go.  Call their office and explain your particulars, stating that you've had lab work done over a year ago and neglected to follow up -- also tell them this is due to mental health issues.  Hopefully they'll have you get your lab work done BEFORE the actual doctor's appointment, so that these numbers are available when you go for the actual doctor's visit.  So, in that scenario, it would involve two separate trips to the clinic -- if two visits sounds overwhelming to you I know you mentioned you have a partner, so try and get this partner to go to the HIV clinic with you.

My lab work is turned around very quickly, but basically I go in for a blood draw one week in advance of my actual doctor's appointment.  However, I live in a really big city so I'm sure that cuts out some time.  Just ask the clinic's office people what they recommend.  It's going to vary from place to place.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline YaKaMein

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:00:02 pm »
Hey Torey,
Yet another Louisianan here, in New Orleans. Miss Philicia and Mum have given you some sage advice. From your prior posts, you're a smart cookie ... so it really is up to you to make some moves. Anxiety can be overwhelming but taking action is the best remedy to getting control of your life and health.

You're already connected to care in your community. Now it's a matter a follow up and confidence. There's plenty of online information [here and elsewhere] about what questions to ask, concerns one has, and general tips on being proactive about one's health.

It's best to see where you are clinically with your numbers. You might be surprised. Hopefully, there's been no major declines, but even if so, you can act to improve your health. Denial is a safe place, but has its dangers.

Am confident you can deal with this and get proper medical attention and support  ... the rest is up to you.

Good luck and keep us posted ... waving back .. -YaKa
09/11 Endocrine Consult
08/11 CD4 328 14.9% VL 0
 Disc'd Bactrim DEXA -3.1 Tscore
03/11 CD4 338 14.7% VL 0
11/10 CD4 300 14.3% VL 0 <20copies
07/10 CD4 336 14.0% VL 0 DEXA -2.7 Tscore
03/10 CD4 308 13.4% VL 0 Vit D normal
01/10 Began FOTO
11/09 CD4 274 13.7% VL 0 Chol 173 Trig 131
07/09 CD4 324 13.5% VL 0 DEXA -3.1 Tscore lumbar
03/09 CD4 207 10.9% VL 0
11/08 CD4 227 10.3% VL 0 Chol 176 Trig 156
04/08 CD4 228 9.5% VL 0
01/08 CD4 194 9.0% VL 0
09/07 CD4 176 8.3% VL 0
03/07 CD4 130 9.5% VL 0 Chol 261  Trig 227
12/06 CD4 109 6.4% VL 0
09/06 CD4  88 5.5% VL und desens'd rtd to Bactrim
08/06  Began Atripla
07/06 CD4  59 5.0% VL 145 Chol 117 Trig 104
06/06  Bactrim rash, X2 Dapsone
 EFV & Truvada Chol 128 Trig 131
05/06 CD4  6 (2.0%) VL 78667 only V179D mutation Dx PC MAC

Offline Torey

• Anticipate Miracles
    • MindUnite.Com
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 08:11:17 pm »
Thanks so much to everyone for the replies. 

Yes, Miss Philicia, I still haven't gone yet -  :'(  I am trying to collect the courage to go this time and I just wanted to know what to expect.  It's difficult for me to even collect the courage to venture out of the house much less to do this because of my mental health. 

I am thankful for the advice given to me - and I am sorry for troubling you guys here at the forum.
Seroconversion 2006 (?)
(No Meds)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 11:48:01 pm »
Torey, it's not troubling at all.  We all just want you to go to the clinic :)  The longer you turn something like this over in your head the harder it is to actually do it -- that's all part of an anxiety disorder and I know all about anxiety myself.  The funny thing is that once you go you'll wonder why you had such a hard time actually doing it.

But don't worry about troubling us here -- we're here to listen to you.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.