Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:21:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 604
Total: 605

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Multiple exposures, pep, symptoms, window period  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Leon0505

• Standard
Multiple exposures, pep, symptoms, window period
« on: July 05, 2022, 04:35:57 pm »
Hello Jim.
Thank you for your help and the info you provide. This forum is amazing.
So, i am Leon, 22 years old, a gay male from Europe. Last year, i met a lot guys via Grinder and these are my exposures:
Quite a lot oral exposures (people giving me oral) and insertive / receptive fingering. In some of this exposures when i was fingering the other person, i had open cuts on my fingers.
On 6th May I touch my lips on a dry penis for about 1 second, no precum, no cum. Also he gave me oral  On 16th May mutual masturbation with an unknown partner cumming exactly on my urethra and i used his cum as lube while i was masturbating.
On 28th May, a guy gave oral to me and i fingered him with an open wound in my finger. Later i found out that he was hiv positive so i went for pep in the first 24 hours. His doctor said that he's undetectable but he gave me pep to be sure. On 30th May a guy fingered me with precum in his finger and i noticed that the inside part of my anus started bleeding. Initially i had given 30 pills of pep, so after this incident, i took the 28-days course as i supposed to do. The only mistake that did happen is that i delayed the second dose for about 12 hours. And for some doses i took the pills +/- 2 hours earlier/later.
Around 10th May, i had 2  swollen lymph nodes under the right place of my jaw and around 25th May i got one swollen lymph node behind ear. This is quite large and it's a bean-size.
Yesterday, i had a 4th generation lab hiv test and it came back negative. Also, yesterday, a tourist from Uk of unknown status, gave me rough oral. During oral he bit me and my penis started bleeding a little. The blood from my penis was visible but it didn't not flow (i think). I want to add that i am uncircumcised and i was traumatized on the tip of my penis, in the foreskin. During the traumatization i felt pain but we didn't figure out what happened and he continued sucking me. I saw the red wound after i cummed. This guy is very active sexually. After the exposure i was anxious, and asked him about his hiv status and then he blocked me. I don't want to imagine why he did that😐
So i have some questions. Did my last hiv test that i did yesterday shows if i got infection from the exposures on 4th and 16th May? It's been 7-8 weeks, so it covers the 6 week period, but 29th i started Pep due to the exposure of 28th May. As far as i know pep extends the window period for the exposure that led to pep. But what about the previous exposures? Does the 28th May exposure and the starting of pep delay the window period for the previous exposures on 6th and 16th May? I am very confused about that.
Also, should i start pep again from the oral i received yesterday? I starting bleeding inside his mouth. I don't know his oral hygiene.
I can't wait again 6-8 weeks about testing, this thing is driving me crazy.
I know that you essentially state that receiving oral is not a risk, but how do we know that it's not even a minor one? In some old threads i saw some moderators told people that if they use condoms correctly for anal / vaginal penetration it's sure that they will be safe sexually about hiv, but then, some infections from giving oral sex appeared, and this advice gradually has changed. If the same happens for hiv receiving-oral exposures?
I tried to reduce my sexual partners after the exposure with pep and i did manage it, since 28th May, i only had one oral-receiving exposure, yesterday. I am planning to reduce my sexual partners even more.
Thank you for your time. Have a nice evening.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Multiple exposures, pep, symptoms, window period
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 04:58:01 pm »
Last year, i met a lot guys via Grinder and these are my exposures:
Quite a lot oral exposures (people giving me oral) and insertive / receptive fingering. In some of this exposures when i was fingering the other person, i had open cuts on my fingers.

Zero HIV exposure

On 6th May I touch my lips on a dry penis for about 1 second, no precum, no cum. Also he gave me oral  On 16th May mutual masturbation with an unknown partner cumming exactly on my urethra and i used his cum as lube while i was masturbating.
On 28th May, a guy gave oral to me and i fingered him with an open wound in my finger.

Lips touching a penis isn't a concern, if you had given a blowjob even then it would only be a minute HIV risk, so much so that even testing outside of the yearly routine would not be warranted.

So, also not an HIV risk

His doctor said that he's undetectable but he gave me pep to be sure

Gosh I will write a separate post later tonight on why this is the most stupid thing I've heard all year .

On 30th May a guy fingered me with precum in his finger and i noticed that the inside part of my anus started bleeding.

Again no HIV risk

Also, yesterday, a tourist from Uk of unknown status, gave me rough oral. During oral he bit me and my penis started bleeding a little. The blood from my penis was visible but it didn't not flow (i think). I want to add that i am uncircumcised and i was traumatized on the tip of my penis, in the foreskin. During the traumatization i felt pain but we didn't figure out what happened and he continued sucking me. I saw the red wound after i cummed.

Same again

This guy is very active sexually.

Irrelevant to you and define very? It's a moral judgement and doesn't change your lack of HIV risk from the activities mentioned

After the exposure i was anxious, and asked him about his hiv status and then he blocked me. I don't want to imagine why he did that😐

The reason is totally irrelevant but prehaps because you are asking a silly question.

Just presume whoever you are sleeping with is living with untreated HIV and reduce your risks. Again what you mentioned so far isn't an HIV risk regardless of the person's HIV status.

I know that you essentially state that receiving oral is not a risk, but how do we know that it's not even a minor one?
In some old threads i saw some moderators told people that if they use condoms correctly for anal / vaginal penetration it's sure that they will be safe sexually about hiv, but then, some infections from giving oral sex appeared, and this advice gradually has changed.

Lacks all the biological and environmental conditions required for HIV to transmit to the person being sucked. The vectors for acquiring HIV are well known and haven't increased in over four decades they have gotten less after fears from the early years were dismissed once science caught up after the mid-90s.

The advice to use condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse is solid, nowadays, PrEP can also provide an additional layer of prevention.

Giving a blowjob, possible but not plausible. This route has always been known; it's theoretically possible, but there are barriers and buts. I tend to air on the side of caution with any assessment and give context around any theoretical risks that it's a minute risk that doesn't warrant testing outside of the yearly routine. However, I understand why other sexual educators or healthcare providers might communicate this effectively as not an HIV risk.

However, I'm not going to debate decades-old threads with you, it would be pointless, and often the details are different. I can give you an assessment, and that's about it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 12:00:33 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 05:24:02 pm »
His doctor said that he's undetectable but he gave me pep to be sure

Why would his doctor share this with you, it's his health data and none of your business. Also, if he is successfully treating HIV, even if you had engaged in condomless intercourse, there would be no HIV risk and no need for PEP.
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71864.0

Now I disagree with prescribing PEP for anxiety or mental health reasons, I know it's done, but I don't believe it resolves the issue, educates the person and ultimately, all it does is just further stigmatize HIV and people living with HIV. Of course, it could be that something was said to the doctor that wasn't mentioned here.

Anyhow what you mentioned here so far isn't an HIV risk.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV still pose a risk for other easier acquired STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs, including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms, and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will removed
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 11:56:42 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Leon0505

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 06:42:20 am »
Hello Jim. Thank you about your responses, and sorry about the amount of questions but the whole situation it was a little bit complicated.  Thank you again for your help, i really appreciate that.

"Why would his doctor share this with you, it's his health data and none of your business."
The guy that i had the encounter, suggest me to go together to his doctor to tell me that there is no risk. That's why his doctor said about his status.

"Now I disagree with prescribing PEP for anxiety or mental health reasons"
"Of course, it could be that something was said to the doctor that wasn't mentioned here."

Well, it was Friday evening so i didn't went to his doctor initially, but in the emergency room in a hospital. The doctor here was a young man that he may didn't know much about hiv and he gave me pep for one day and told me the next day to go there again. Next day, again in the emergency room, doctors told me that we continue the pep course, until Monday, when i go to the "official" doctor and he'll decide. Then i went to the doctor in this hospital and he told me that because the previous doctors in the emergency room prescribed me pep he'll continue it too, unless if we come into contact with the guy's doctor. Then i informed the guy and he told me that we can go to his doctor, in another hospital. When his doctor heard that i was given pep by 3 different doctors in previous hospital, he decided to continue it till the end. 
I think that if i had gone initially to his doctor, he wouldn't prescribe me pep, but i always choose to follow the doctors' instructions.

What about Pep and previous exposures? Before starting pep we get tested, to see if we already are hiv positive, but if we are in the "window period"? Does pep affect the window period of the exposures that happened 1-2 weeks before starting pep?
If the swollen lymph nodes were due to the exposures of 6th / 16th May, will the test i got yesterday (lab 4th gen / 7-8 weeks after exposure) will show reliable results? Or the pep will prolong the window period even for those exposures?

Thank you Jim.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 07:23:34 am »
What about Pep and previous exposures? Before starting pep we get tested, to see if we already are hiv positive, but if we are in the "window period"?

What previous exposures?

So far nothing you mentioned was an exposure, and certainly no PEP or testing is needed outside of standard yearly screening.

I'm unwilling to pretend what you posted is an HIV issue.

Well, it was Friday evening so i didn't went to his doctor initially, but in the emergency room in a hospital. The doctor here was a young man that he may didn't know much about hiv and he gave me pep for one day and told me the next day to go there again. Next day, again in the emergency room, doctors told me that we continue the pep course, until Monday, when i go to the "official" doctor and he'll decide. Then i went to the doctor in this hospital and he told me that because the previous doctors in the emergency room prescribed me pep he'll continue it too, unless if we come into contact with the guy's doctor. Then i informed the guy and he told me that we can go to his doctor, in another hospital. When his doctor heard that i was given pep by 3 different doctors in previous hospital, he decided to continue it till the end.
I think that if i had gone initially to his doctor, he wouldn't prescribe me pep, but i always choose to follow the doctors' instructions.

Absolutely crazy that doctors aren't up-to-date on HIV basics and that PEP was issued, although, understand that generally part of this could also be down to patient fear and people do lie about their real exposures so I'm not surprised.

Decisions About PEP in the ER Are Not Always by the Book
https://www.poz.com/article/decisions-pep-er-always-book

For 12 percent of these visits, the hospital staff prescribed PEP to people who were not considered at risk for HIV. Ten percent of the visits involved people who were at risk for HIV but did not wind up receiving PEP.

Knowledge of HIV PEP among healthcare workers in Ireland, 2016: room for improvement
https://www.lenus.ie/bitstream/handle/10147/621064/ART9.html?sequence=1
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 11:05:18 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Leon0505

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 05:13:56 pm »
Hello again. Today i met a guy from grindr he said that he's on prep and he does condomless anal (he's a bottom) all the time.
 I don't know if he is adherent to prep, I don't know his hiv status. I surely know that he doesn't play safe.
So i decided to play as safe as possible and i didn't even let him suck me.
 We would only masturbated, and he would lick my balls. Only the balls, not the penis. And that did happen.
BUT when i was masturbating and he was masturbating, suddenly he stood up, went to his desk and came to me with a thing that looked like a closes condom. As i saw, he opened and i thought that he will put condom on my penis. But, i felt a liquid. This happened very quickly. I barely notice what he did.
When i asked him what is that he put on my penis, and he said lube. I saw the mark on the paper and indeed it was lube. But i am scared because i think that this was not lube. At least not ONLY lube. I think that when he masturbated he cummed and then he placed his cum on my dick and he pretended that it was lube. Or it was lube mixed with his semen.
So in the worst scenario the exposure is him licking my balls, and semen from his hands direct into my urethra. Then he masturbated me with his precum / semen on his hands.
He was a very strange guy. And he said CLEARLY that he does bareback almost every day with people he meets online. Then, he showed me some pills and told me that is prep.
I am an idiot, i know🤦
The liquid that put on my penis went through all my penis, and a lot inside the urethra. I am uncircumcised and i have phimosis. Does this poses an additional risk to this or the previous exposure (receiving oral and my foreskin traumatized from his teeth and then it bleeds)?
I am scared because he insisted a lot for anal sex without a condom. And of course it DID not happen. Not anal, not even oral. Only sucking balls and semen in my urethra.
If this liquid was semen from previous encounter that he kept on the packing of the lube?
I know this sounds paranoid. But the guy was crazy and strange (no offense to anyone please).
I thought the case of pep, and i know that if i go in an emergency room here and i told them that someone put his semen on my urethra, they surely will prescribe pep. The are not very well informed.
I tried to reduce my sexual partners. And i have tried. Last 6 weeks i had only exposures.
1) receiving oral (but with the bleeding i told before)
and 2) this one. 
Please help me.
Have a nice evening👋

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 05:26:30 pm »
Read your latest post three times.

What you posted would be zero HIV risk to you. Move on with your life.

I don't know if he is adherent to prep, I don't know his hiv status. I surely know that he doesn't play safe.

Also totally irrelevant. You can never factually know any of these things with anyone you have sex with.

Anyhow the activities mentioned were not an HIV risk to you.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.