Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:21:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 652
Total: 652

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hacking,health and Security.  (Read 2753 times)

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
Hacking,health and Security.
« on: May 13, 2017, 08:42:56 am »
The implications for members here are clear and very worrying given the rise of reactionary forces the world over -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nhs-hack-wanna-decryptor-ransomware-what-is-it-how-does-it-work-computer-a7733141.html
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Hacking,health and Security.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 10:11:39 am »
Been getting a few emails on this since yesterday ... 

Truth is this form of ransomware is increasingly common it really kicked off in 2009 Trojan:W32 or knows as Agent.AF it hit the consumer market hard.
The first versions had fake "FBI or Law enforcement" warnings asking for payments due to fines to unlock PC's and consumer laptops.

Big first wave was from legitimate adds that had been infected causing a "drive by download" otherwise secure  & legit site that had 3rd party adds that had been infected would drop the initial payload onto the target pc. Since 2009 its branched into the common manners.

Another variant pretended to be security software often made to look like real brand named products so it could pretend to scan and lock the PC for protection - asking a "fee" to clean the PC.

I remember working with the first tools to clean the PC's from infected people truly, nasty nasty bug. 

Various versions and with that function since have been out there limiting compromised computers, CryptoLocker is a ransomware variant where malware often encrypts files and sometimes deletes the original copy. The attacker requests a ransom for the files to be unencrypted. Not only are files on the local computer damaged, but also the files on any shared or attached network drives/server to which the computer has write access.

Not much can be done, remove the virus by someone who knows what they are doing and restore the damaged files from a back-up, than prevention is the key and educating staff - One thing companies and serves can not afford to be cheap with is security and back-ups.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 10:33:37 am »
Thanks Jim,i forgot you were a tech professional..great to have access to you now and forever ;)

More specifically i am somewhat concerned about the Irish set up.Where i`m being treated didnt require full name and address so i didnt offer it.Somewhat later i think i did.I guess it wouldnt be too unreasonable to ask them to remove it given the circumstances.
It may seem a bit paranoid to some that this attitude is warranted at all.. but i hate surprises.
Dx`d mid July 2016
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 10:48:42 am »
So to be honest this type of attack is not a risk to personal or medical data being leaked ... All it does is encrypt it, its not exporting the data outside the computer or servers affected. No need to panic.  ;)

If you are concerned about data in Ireland, all breaches are such as this are reported. In Ireland our systems in the HSE are not linked to each other GP/Labs to Hospitals its one of the areas the HSE want to upgrade soon, but in the mean time if the GP's laptop gets hacked, it remains just a GP concern so limited impact.

The NHS has been hit by a self replicating virus that spread yesterday (Thursday it started) through the connected systems. 

The bigger threat in any company as a whole and doctors  is employees and taking data home, printing stuff and leaving Hard copies out and not encrypted laptops/ "USB or storage devices" .

Hospitals in particular are vulnerable in Ireland but its more to do with the paper and local copies that are concerns.  We are so ff out of date even the hackers can't hack it  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 10:52:56 am »
Thanks Jim,i forgot you were a tech professional..

I used to work for global company they write the codes on the viruses. Including this virus, I actually work next to a additional secured VIP room that is used 24/7 - 365 days to track digital virus outbreaks globally. 
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 10:57:59 am »
Here is the consumer note on this bug (took me a moment to find it, i knew it had been published)

https://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/what-you-need-know-about-wannacry-ransomware
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 11:10:41 am »
Scary, weird shit... :o
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 11:16:35 am »
You`re a bloody marvel Jim.That just saved me endless head scratching and a powerful impulse to hit things with a shovel.Now,i have a toaster that seems..
Dx`d mid July 2016
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 11:18:20 am »
End of the day, if a hacker really wants to hack your laptop (why?) or even whatever you have in the cloud - They will. Its that simple.

However not making yourself a target for drive by attacks by keeping your OS updated, passwords unique, security software to date, encrypting our gadgets  and keeping a backup.

Biggest tip is backup if its important, so not cock pictures or bank statements but stuff you really need like pictures from fam or loved ones you keep on file - backup, and if it happens having that stuff ready to be restored is all that really matters, so backed-up is key.

Jim   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:20:40 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.