Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:17:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 342
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients  (Read 29877 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients
« on: December 08, 2007, 01:57:13 pm »
Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients
By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 57 minutes ago

Mike Huckabee once advocated isolating AIDS patients from the general public, opposed increased federal funding in the search for a cure and said homosexuality could "pose a dangerous public health risk."

As a candidate for a U.S. Senate seat in 1992, Huckabee answered 229 questions submitted to him by The Associated Press. Besides a quarantine, Huckabee suggested that Hollywood celebrities fund AIDS research from their own pockets, rather than federal health agencies.

"If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague," Huckabee wrote.

"It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS. It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents."

The AP submitted the questionnaire to both candidates; only Huckabee responded. Incumbent Sen. Dale Bumpers won his four term; Huckabee was elected lieutenant governor the next year and became governor in 1996.

When asked about AIDS research in 1992, Huckabee complained that AIDS research received an unfair share of federal dollars when compared to cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
Also in the wide-ranging AP questionnaire in 1992, Huckabee said, "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071208/ap_on_el_pr/huckabee_aids;_ylt=Av.rObkUBLM1Qv6G8cNpgFes0NUE
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 01:59:25 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline 404error

Re: Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 03:09:13 pm »
Does he still feel this way?  If he changed his mind who cares what he said almost 16 years ago. Imagine if we were all held to standards that dictated that we couldn't change our minds, that every doob smoked as a teenager indicated heavy drug use at middle age.  Also, how much information was there about AIDS in 1992 as compared to today?  I'm not excusing his actions but it was 16 years ago, if he's no longer talking the same talk then he's learned something and moved on with his life.

He has the best commercials for sure.
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:20:06 pm »
Also in the wide-ranging questionnaire in 1992, Mr. Huckabee said, "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

Bet you dollars to doughnuts Andre, Huck wouldn't differentiate on how you acquired the "gay" disease.

Offline 404error

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 03:25:16 pm »
Bet you dollars to doughnuts Andre, Huck wouldn't differentiate on how you acquired the "gay" disease.

Perhaps he wouldn't if you interviewed him in 1992 but you don't honestly know what he thinks about that in 2008 when it'll be of much greater relevance.

Offline Jody

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 03:33:23 pm »
What a Huckalberry that one is.   ???

Jody  :(
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 03:41:31 pm »
What a Huckalberry that one is.   ???

Jody  :(

I would have said a dingleberry...
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 03:46:25 pm »

Did Huckabee, ever give a response to the question about gays in the military at the last You tube event/debate in St. Petersburg? Or, did he avoid it like all the others...

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 03:48:46 pm »

Let's see...Baptist preacher, conservative favorite...

Yeah, I'll take some of that action.  Count me in on that bet.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 03:52:19 pm »
Perhaps he wouldn't if you interviewed him in 1992 but you don't honestly know what he thinks about that in 2008 when it'll be of much greater relevance.

You're right I don't know what he thinks, but I do know what he said. Luckily we have his new position on record. Hopefully this goober will never be elected so we won't have to worry about it.

Since becoming a presidential candidate this year, Mr. Huckabee has supported increased federal funding for AIDS research through the National Institutes of Health.

"My administration will be the first to have an overarching strategy for dealing with HIV and AIDS here in the United States, with a partnership between the public and private sectors that will provide necessary financing and a realistic path toward our goals," Mr. Huckabee said in a statement posted on his campaign Web site last month.

Mind you this is a guy who recently stated that his rise in the polls was ordained by God. I'm surprised you find him so appealing, you usually aren't so contrary Andre.

To expand on religion though since that's what this thread was all about, I don't support religion.  I see it as something born from a time when man needed answers to questions that science couldn't yet provide.  Why did my crops fail?  It was the will of god.  Why is my child mentally deficient?  It was the will of god.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 03:58:35 pm by Dachshund »

Offline 404error

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 04:23:08 pm »
I'm surprised you find him so appealing, you usually aren't so contrary Andre.

You're taking quotes out of context to try and prove a point.  At the end of the blurb where you pulled quote highlighted in red you'll clearly see I said something to the effect of "If you want to worship, you go right ahead but I'm going to spend my weekends sleeping in."  You'll also see that I support freedom of expression and the man is expressing his religious views.  If you're gonna quote me to try and make me look like I'm a hypocrite do it properly, not out of context.

And Hal, I see you much like Matty are pleased with your internet sluething skills and have found out my name.  Congratulations.  Use it sparingly.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 04:37:24 pm by 404error »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 04:33:21 pm »
 If you're gonna quote me to try and make me look like I'm a hypocrite do it properly, not out of context.

You'll need no help from me in that department Andre. ;)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 04:51:27 pm »
In a quick check of Republican reaction after the AP story broke, some conservatives said they viewed Huckabee’s answers as a blunt statement of views held by many in his Southern Baptist flock, and an antidote to the waffling that pervades politics.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 05:28:09 pm »
If he said that shit back then, I don't see his views changing despite what was said last month. Haven't you learned politicians will say anything to get elected. Now really!!!! And I am definitely not gay so is he going to accuse me of being gay anyway and I came to my senses all of a sudden? Sheesh..... ::)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 05:47:45 pm »
Well, you do have a lesbian avatar, honey

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 06:16:39 pm »
if AIDS is some form of judgment from god on gays, then statistically speaking it would appear that Jesus loves some hot girl on girl action.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 06:22:05 pm »
404:

We actually received a few moderator reports about Hal using your name in the message above -- they didn't think it was cool either. When I looked into it, I found that you actually listed your name in this message dated May 14th: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=338.msg154243#msg154243.

Tim Horn
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 09:31:26 pm by Tim Horn »

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 06:30:23 pm »
My opinions on HIV and AIDS have certainly changed since 1992, but then again I'm not a Baptist preacher and I tested HIV positive in 92.

I wonder if personally knowing and caring about someone who was positive would put a spin on how he see's things.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 07:42:50 pm »
Well, you do have a lesbian avatar, honey

No, dumpling....Obviously you are not into cartoons....The avatar is Inuyasha which is the white haired demon kissing Kagome.....You need to watch Cartoon Network more often.... :P
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 08:11:59 pm »
404:

We actually received a few moderator reports about Hal using your name in the message above -- they didn't think it was cool either. When I looked into it, I found that you actually listed your name in this message dated May 14th: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=338.msg154243#msg154243.

If you want me to remove your name (you only use your first name, BTW) from the message above, let me know. 

Tim Horn

First, let me apologize to you Philly for hijacking the thread, but I would like to get a few things off my chest.

Tim I posted his name because I wanted to make sure I had his attention. It may not matter to others but what I think isn't "cool" is, in my opinion, his constant degradation of women in his posts. The most recent example being the recently locked Are prostitutes  thread. It's the reason I posted that he once went by Upallnight. I thought every forum member should be aware of his name change if they chose to check out his posting history. A history that in my opinion is rife with misogyny and racism. A charge he will vehemently deny, but I defy anyone to read his posting history and come to a different conclusion. The trend I seem to notice are threads that seem intent on provoking responses from the women. How many times has he been warned for making sexist comments?

I actually wanted my using of his first name to sound as impersonal as possible and not familiar at all. You know the way men usually refer to women.

I apologize for not being cool and next time I will just hit report to moderator.

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 09:23:45 pm »
It doesn't shock me at all.

I think if someone held a gun to my head and said "either you vote for a Conservative or I will kill you," I'd let the f-er pull the trigger.

My rule is if a candidate ever uses the word "conservative" to describe themselves in any capacity, they'll never get my vote.

I have to do more reading on this Huckleberry character - I thought Ghouliani and Romney were the only note worthy Republicans runing for President. Guess I better start paying betetr attention to what the enemy is conjuring up.

The last thing we need is a President who will return us back to Reagan's 1984. We've already lost so much ground with Bushito the last 7 years.

"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 02:53:06 am »
so instead of being a totally worthless piece of shit, Huckabee might now just be a partially worthless piece of shit.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 07:30:35 am »
No, dumpling....Obviously you are not into cartoons....The avatar is Inuyasha which is the white haired demon kissing Kagome.....You need to watch Cartoon Network more often.... :P

Fine.  Stay in that dark closet for all I care.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 08:33:02 am »

Also in the wide-ranging AP questionnaire in 1992, Huckabee said, "I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk."

How long until this guy gets caught with his pants down with a male sex worker? ;D

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 09:38:39 am »
Here's Huck's reason for his recent rise in the polls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSQNSlUUoOc

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 11:48:13 am »
As soon as someone is able to connect HIV with a sinful lifestyle they have lost all credibility with me on most subjects.  His sinful comments tell me he is guided by his religion or beliefs and not by the rule of American law.  He said all of those things in 92 and I know he still believes EVERY WORD OF IT, it has just been repacked to be PC, electable and easier to swallow.  Same old crap, you have HIV = you are a pervert and a sinner = who gives a shit about you.

And Ann, I give it 4 to 6 months tops.

Lastly, in a shameless promotion for my own blog, my latest entry deals with the question: Is HIV a punishment from God?

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 01:54:34 pm »
this guy is not a conservative,he is a conservative christian. Two different things. Fucking Ann Ryand was an atheist.  I remember what Ross Perot said about Clinton, just because he is good at running a 7-11 doesnt mean you want him to run WalMart,same goes for this coconut. There are twenty cities in the US that have larger populations than this third world state. I see this guy running as third party candidate that will guarantee the Dems the presidency. This is the only way the Dems win the presidency. The only way.
They have supported defeat in Iraq. They are against torturing people who behead us,even when the torturing may be less severe than the training our own troops get . Hillary has proved more than once she is not qualified for this position and Obama has explained it better than anyone.  Obama will be destroyed by the Clinton unless he starts to fight back.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 02:08:28 pm »
Fine.  Stay in that dark closet for all I care.

Huh? If I am in the dark it is never for very long. But I must ask, are you insinuating that I am a in the closet lesbian? If so, it had to be in a past life, darling cause in this life I like the same thing you do!!!!!! :o
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 03:31:17 pm »

They are against torturing people who behead us,even when the torturing may be less severe than the training our own troops get .

Yeah, I heard about the routine water-boarding that goes on in boot camp. ::)

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 04:21:23 pm »
Does he still feel this way?  If he changed his mind who cares what he said almost 16 years ago. Imagine if we were all held to standards that dictated that we couldn't change our minds, that every doob smoked as a teenager indicated heavy drug use at middle age.  Also, how much information was there about AIDS in 1992 as compared to today?  I'm not excusing his actions but it was 16 years ago, if he's no longer talking the same talk then he's learned something and moved on with his life.

He has the best commercials for sure.

Suffice to say as it is said on the Thames, "A leopard don't change it's spots and a slapper don't change her knickers!"
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2007, 05:05:07 pm »
They are against torturing people who behead us,even when the torturing may be less severe than the training our own troops get .

Then by your bizzaro world logic John McCain hates the troops and wants us to lose in Iraq. John McCain says that waterboarding is torture and Americans are better than that. John McCain says that we should follow the Geneva Convention and not torture. Jake why does conservative Republican candidate John McCain hate America Jake? Why does he hate the troops Jake? Why Jake? Why?

p.s. jake, harman and pelosi love america more than mccain.

The news today that leading Democrats, including Jane Harman and Nancy Pelosi, were informed about the torture of military prisoners and allegedly didn't just acquiesce but actually approved it
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 05:29:23 pm by Dachshund »

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2007, 08:08:04 pm »

Good 'ol Huck stands by his comments.

http://weblogs.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/blog/2007/12/huckabee_stands_by_92_comments.html

What an evil bastard.  See y'all in quarantine!

Brian

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2007, 08:26:01 pm »
From the article quoted by OtherPlaces:

Huckabee said he also stands by his words that homosexuality is sinful.

"I believe it would be, just as lying is sinful and stealing is sinful," he said.

Heh. Christians are funneh. :)

MtD

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2007, 11:05:06 pm »
Good 'ol Huck stands by his comments.

my mistake....he still is a totally worthless piece of shit

Offline Pilot

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 02:10:29 am »
He is not the first to come up with the idea of isolation for people with HIV.   Just remember its easier for a drag queen to pass as a straight man than for a politician to keep from lying, cheating and stealing from the electorate.  lol

Offline jack

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 06:24:16 am »
huckabee is Bush. He is the answer to every problem the Dems have. They have run against Bush but Bush isnt running. This fuckwad is. I dont know who turns my stomach more, the intolerant right wing Christians or the Clintons. It is easy to portray Huckabee as Bush. He is a right wing Christian and a big spender.
If Huckabee wins the nomination or runs as a third party candidate the Dems win. I dont think its possible for him to win nomination.

As an HIVer I would hate Huckabees old plan to separate us from the negatives but how many people reading this message board would be negative if a plan like this had been instituted any time in 80s or early 90s? Huckabee is right when he says our priority was not the publics safety and health. It is conceivable HIV would be almost zero in US today if a plan like this had been instituted back in the day along with keeping HIVers from other countries out.

Everyone could still be fucking anyone they wanted, safe or unsafe, without fear of infection.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 06:35:40 am »
You see Jake I don't think that would have worked. Many men like you were having sex with men on the down low and would have continued to spread the disease. Married men, family men, who no one would have ever suspected were having the butt sex until they turned up sick.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 06:41:30 am »
It would have been easier to isolate all the politicians and slowed down the spread of B.S.

Offline jack

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 07:44:32 am »
It only works if everyone had been tested. You could never have such a policy without testing every person who lives in US,legal or illegal. The policy wouldn't work if only those who tested voluntarily were separated from society. So your theory of men on the down low doesnt work. What do you have against bisexual people? Werent they born that way? They had no choice in their sexuality,why do you always attack them?

Like I said,as a person who is HIV positive I would have been against this policy because I would have been separated from my family but in theory it was probably the best way to end HIV in US.  Leaders have to make very  difficult decisions and no one had the balls to make the decisions that could have stopped HIV in its tracks in the US. There would be no stigma on Homosexuals today in regards to HIV,because it wouldnt exist in our country. A course of action/inaction was chosen and it has led to millions infected.

Too late now,the horse is out of the barn.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 07:58:19 am »
It only works if everyone had been tested. You could never have such a policy without testing every person who lives in US,legal or illegal. The policy wouldn't work if only those who tested voluntarily were separated from society. So your theory of men on the down low doesn't work. What do you have against bisexual people? We rent they born that way? They had no choice in their sexuality,why do you always attack them?

Like I said,as a person who is HIV positive I would have been against this policy because I would have been separated from my family but in theory it was probably the best way to end HIV in US.  Leaders have to make very difficult decisions and no one had the balls to make the decisions that could have stopped HIV in its tracks in the US. There would be no stigma on Homosexuals today in regards to HIV,because it wouldn't exist in our country. A course of action/inaction was chosen and it has led to millions infected.

Ha! Ha! You make meany joke, yes?
Because.....you can't possibly be that naive, Mr. Jack.

Mike M

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 08:00:08 am »
What do you have against bisexual people? Werent they born that way? They had no choice in their sexuality,why do you always attack them?

Not a thing, some of my best friends are bi. :-* What I was saying was that married men or men that had sex with other men on the down low would have escaped your little dragnet. Your convoluted logic led you right back to the truth. It wouldn't have worked.

Offline jack

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007, 09:14:06 am »
no one escapes if everyone is tested. Everyone no matter their supposed risk factor. All women,men,and children. What is convoluted about that? Are you telling me the number of HIVers in US wouldnt be very small if every person who was positive was separated from the rest of US society back in mid or late 80s?
Hey, it would have been horrible for anyone infected but many,many more would have been spared infection.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2007, 09:20:24 am »
Yeah, because our government would have exempted politicians from testing.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2007, 09:35:10 am »
no one escapes if everyone is tested. Everyone no matter their supposed risk factor. All women,men,and children.

Why not do that now Jake? People still are becoming infected daily with HIV. We can "seperate" those already infected with HIV starting today and then begin testing on the rest of America. I'll let you explain to children like Mini why it's necessary to seperate her from the rest of society.

Offline ademas

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2007, 09:44:50 am »

me thinks the horse was out of the barn long before anyone knew what was going on.

The logistics alone of testing every man, woman, and child in the country renders the plan useless and ridiculous, Jack, even in theory.

Offline jack

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2007, 10:03:19 am »
and I am saying you couldn't have done it without testing everyone. Millions in the US would have been saved from HIV infection.

Dachs, it cant be done now, for many reasons. The number of people infected is much larger now. It can be argued by some(not by me) that meds have made this a manageable problem much like diabetes. Obviously big pharma would fight such a plan. You can come up with a million reasons not to do it now.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2007, 10:07:23 am »
Testing everybody to separate them?  How useless?  How often would we test them?  After every trip out of the country and then again weeks later?  It might have worked in a very small isolated country whose residents seldom or never traveled outside that country.  We can't even secure borders or keep 'real' terrorists out, what makes anybody think we can keep out an HIV+ person out.  Oh, how about a blood sample that was mishandled and came back negative, but the individual is actually positive?

A pet that's exclusively an inside pet won't become rabid.  Allow it outside with other animals just once.  After that, one can't say with 100% certainty that it's rabies-free.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2007, 06:56:07 pm »
 how many people reading this message board would be negative if a plan like this had been instituted any time in 80s or early 90s? Huckabee is right when he says our priority was not the public safety and health. It is conceivable HIV would be almost zero in US today if a plan like this had been instituted back in the day along with keeping HIVers from other countries out. stated by JACK

First off, I never thought I would survive HIV and hear another HIV positive person (JACK) make such a statement about the possibility of Isolating People With HIV/AIDS.

Second, JACK, Thankfully such a policy was never passed. IF I had to be in the same HUCKABEE CONCENTRATION CAMP as you, believe me the HIV would not have  @^#*()  you.

THird, I find it ironic that you are just focusing on HIV. According to a 2005 statistics 54 million people die of various diseases World Wide.   Of this number 25 percent die from an infectious disease. Of the 25 percent that die from an infectious disease, 90 percent are caused by six diseases: measles, malaria, TB, diarrhoeal diseases, acute respiratory and AIDS. Before HIV the governments way of dealing with epidemics was to focus on preventing the spread of diseases. HOW, BY CREATING A VACCINE. We as of 2007 do not have a cure for polio, influenza or smallpox. BUT YOU CAN GET A VACCINE. Do we have a VACCINE for HIV.... I don't think so. 

To take any group of people with any disease, and isolate them THINKING that is a CURE or FIX of a disease is the most ludicrous thought process.  All this uneducated thinking does is to spread more HATE, STIGMA, and FEAR for those living with HIV or any other infectious disease.

Would I be HIV negative if JACK and HUCKABEE had isolated people with HIV from society? NO!!

Where would we stop with such a thought process. Would we isolate: Genital Warts, Herpes, Syphilis, Gonorrhea, , Hepatitis, Genetic diseases such as Huntington's Disease, Tay-Sac's, Sickle Cell, Mental Retardation, what about Alcoholism, then the usual Polio, smallpox, measles, mumps, TB, the flu.

I have the answer why don't we ISOLATE PEOPLE WHO HAVE SUCH A NARROW THOUGHT PROCESS SUCH AS JACK AND HUCKABEE then you don't have to worry about acquiring some disease.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2007, 07:05:17 pm »
Oh Swiss,

Calm the fuck down. Jack's been ranting on like this for years. This isn't the craziest thing he's ever said. Nobody takes the silly old coot seriously.

MtD

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2007, 07:14:00 pm »

Will you get on your Knees MATTY with me and pray for JACK OFF.  I don't know how to start the prayer though, any suggestions?????

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2007, 07:16:07 pm »
I'm not getting on my knees whilst either you or Jack are within spitting distance of me.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.