Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 381
Total: 383

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Upcoming Hernia Surgery....UGH!!!  (Read 10152 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Upcoming Hernia Surgery....UGH!!!
« on: January 14, 2011, 05:01:57 pm »
I have hernia surgery (my first time ever going under the knife) scheduled for next Tuesday and as it draws closer I am getting slightly more anxious.  This morning had the pre-op stuff done.  All the discussion of living wills, anesthesia, emergency contact just turned my stomach into knots.  Even with the reassurance of the dr that it's a very routine procedure, provided he doesn't cut the intestine, my mind is full of all the things that could go wrong - I wake up still with the hernia but no balls or a bag is taped to my leg, a sponge is left inside, the anesthesiologist is cracked out, I am more nervous than a virgin at fleet week. 

On the upside if all goes well in 4-6 weeks when I am "out & about" and drop the pants my penis won't shoot off to the side but be sticking straight out and hopefully look a tad bit bigger.  Of course in my case that doesn't really matter since it usually isn't used during my "out & about" evenings.  But until then I have the dread of the surgery and recovery, including my mom visiting to take care of me for a few days,  to deal with.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Upcoming Hernia Surgery....UGH!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 05:24:53 pm »
Good Luck with your surgery bud . I have had two hernia surgery's done in my naval area and it wasn't bad at all .

Maybe write a note on your penis that reads do not remove will ease your fears .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:26:05 pm »
Hehehhe. Woodsy's talkin' about his pensu!  :D

Honey, you'll be fine. Very straightforward stuff, hernia ops. :-*

MtD

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:36:51 pm »
Hey there,

Sorry to hear about your hernia. My BF had his hernia surgery (for two hernias) a few months ago and he is doing fantastic. He had to wait a long time to get it done because of insurance issues and the jitters but so glad that he did it. He was very worried about the surgery but it was quicker than they said it would be and the recovery wasn't too aweful. It's good that your mother will be with you for a few days as the pain meds may give you the false impression that you can start doing more physical activity than you should. My BF was walking around way too much the first day but I can barely see the scars now.

You will do fine. Let us know how it goes.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 05:43:02 pm »
Good luck this Tuesday.   I can certainly understand the anxiety.  I had my Inguinal hernia surgery, (left side), done on June 7th, 2002.  

I was working on June 6th, 2002 (climbing a ladder at work,) when all of a sudden there was this pop and tearing sensation going on in the left side of my groin.  I knew I was having problem in this area several weeks prior to this happening.  There was a little bit of a bulge forming, but it wasn't that painful, until I climbed the ladder that night.

I think my surgery lasted about an hour and a half.  I was completely put under, and after waking, and going through about 1 hour and a half, of post op, I walked out of the hospital into the car, where Ed drove us back home.  I went to bed right away, and stayed in bed, for at least the next 36 hours, only getting up, to go to the bathroom.

Depending on the type of hernia, sometimes the testicle sack will swell, and become... well painful. Best thing to do is lay on your back. I am not saying this to freak you out, it's just what I experienced. So if you experience this, you 'll know this is due to the surgery.  I was also told that a swelling may take place.  But ,  It doesn't always occur. You will be most likely told of this this.

You will get a prescription for pain meds, so get it filled right away,( or have someone fill it while your in bed) and plan on taking it easy over the next 2-3 days.  The doctor told after my surgery, that I would not be able to do any heavy lifting again.  I also, did not have any kind of mesh put in.  The surgeon, decided I didn't need it.

This was also my first time going under the surgeons knife, But the pain I was experiencing at the time, was quite a lot, and I said " Lets get this over"

I returned to work 1 week after surgery, and was on light duty for about another 4-6 weeks.

It's been over 8 years, and I've never had a problem again with it.

No heavy lifting !!  

Good luck-- Ray  ( wear comfortable loose fitting clothes, )

Edited for spelling

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:58:51 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 05:54:00 pm »
You'll be fine pumpkin. While you're under see if the doc will perform an addadicktome. :P

AD
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:59:06 pm by Dachshund »

Offline woodshere

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 06:05:23 pm »
thanks all for the well wishes!

Hehehhe. Woodsy's talkin' about his pensu!  :D

Matty, it's a short conversation!

Depending on the type of hernia, sometimes the testicle sack will swell, and become... well painful.

Doc said to get a supply of jockstraps, just not sure if i should buy new cotton ones or use my leather supply...LOL
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 06:21:14 pm »
I have hernia surgery (my first time ever going under the knife) scheduled for next Tuesday and as it draws closer I am getting slightly more anxious.

Woodsy,

I'm sure everything will go well.  It's understandable to be nervous, but try not to get too anxious.  We'll all be here waiting to hear how it went. 

On the upside if all goes well in 4-6 weeks when I am "out & about" and drop the pants my penis won't shoot off to the side but be sticking straight out and hopefully look a tad bit bigger.

Will you be providing "before" and "after" photos?   8)

Just how often do you drop trou when you are out on the town?   :o

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 07:03:19 pm »
You are going to be fine Woods...trust me I'm a nurse... ;).

Will be thinking about you...{{{hugs}}}

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:31:15 pm »
Hey Woods -
Sending good wishes your way for a successful surgery and speedy recovery -

Unlike Jan, I am not a nurse;  however, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night - so I'm sure all will be fine!
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline zach

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 11:41:38 pm »
inguinal repairs, good times  ;D word of caution, don't ball up in fetal position, try to stay stretched out

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 11:51:02 pm »

A hernia is best to be dealt with. It's good you're getting this done and I am sure you will be fine.

Good luck Woods!
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 12:18:15 am »
Hope your procedure goes well and you recover quickly.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 12:22:27 am »
thanks all for the well wishes!

Matty, it's a short conversation!

Heh. Well like my Nanna always said ,"More than a mouthful's a waste and a little never goes astray".

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 01:55:23 am »
I saw your post about this on FB.  I'm sure all will go well.  My best friend had hernia surgery last year.  He got ill from the meds or some infection.  It wasn't anything serious, but he felt bad for a few days.  It prompted his mom to ask me whether he was HIV poz.  He isn't as far as I know, but shows how people think.  He also complained that he could feel the wire mesh a few weeks after it was done.  That went away.  But, just tonight, he told me how he picked up his friend and thinks he injured the area again.  So, no lifting hot guys during sex! 

I've always been a little worried about being knocked out.  I need to have a colonoscopy and I don't like the idea of being sedated/knocked out.  But, we have to do it.  All the best!  If you need anything, let me know. 

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:21:51 am »
Best wishes for your surgery woodshere! I've had quite a few operations myself, although none were for hernias. Several were far more invasive though, and I've never had problems. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just follow the doctor's orders regarding healing time and movement restrictions and such, and don't be afraid to use your pain medicine if you are hurting!

And I think writing "do not remove" on your penis is a really funny idea. I'm sure the doctor would be amused  ;D

odyssey
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 11:17:52 am »
Even with the reassurance of the dr that it's a very routine procedure, provided he doesn't cut the intestine....

Jeeze, your doctor really knows how to instil confidence! ::)

You'll be fine. My ex had both sides done and he said it was the best thing he could have done. He had some sort of mesh inserted and never had a hernia problem again. His procedure was done about twenty-two years ago.

And here's hoping it makes your pee-pee look bigger! :)

(It didn't make any difference to the ex's )
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline zach

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 11:23:31 am »
Hey woods, I've responded once, but wanted to elaborate a little. I've had both sides done 15 years ago. I've got two sheets of polypropalene (sp?) mesh across my abdominal muscle that are basically spot welded in place. In the center of each sheet, at the location of the hernia, is a kevlar plug. The doctor described it as a badminton ball stretched out over the hernia.

Short term, focus on your recovery. Take it easy, nothing strenuous, but keep moving. Letting those muscles get tight will cause you a lot of pain. My first one, I walked out and made it home hopped up on morphine, took a nap balled up in fetal position, and when I woke I was so stiff it felt like I was ripping my balls off to stand up. Second time, lesson learned, I kept my body straight during recovery, and things went much better for me.

Don't overeat, and eat foods that are easy to digest. It'll save you some pain during a bowel movement.

Probably don't want to have sex of any kind for awhile. Not to scare you, but for me, orgasms were a little uncomfortable for a good six months after each procedure. The feeling builds, muscles tense, causing pain, the feeling goes away. My partners thought I had legendary stamina, really it was just kind of frustrating. If you wear boxers you may want to consider switching to something with more support.

Long term, I've been ok, but I know they are there. The incision scar is something I don't like to touch. For a good couple years I could feel the mesh through my skin. And the spot welds at the edges of the mesh are still no touch areas. Not because it hurts, it just feels wierd. Fingernails on a chalk board sort of thing.

Anyway, good luck, you'll be fine.  ;D If you're lucky, you'll get a cute nurse to do the preop shaving.  :o

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 11:52:25 am »

Thanks Zachary!  After reading that I know I will do everything in my power, on a daily basis mind you, to never.....  ever..... get a hernia.   The only experience I have regarding hernias concerns a friend I had when I was in my early twenties.  His girlfriend said he had been complaining about lower abdominal pains for a couple of weeks.  Then one night he woke up in such pain they rushed him to the ER.  It was too late and he actually died from it.  I don't know how or why, but it was alarming at the time to find out one can actually die from one of these.

There is actually a documentary type reality show that plays on MTV called True Life.  In this particular one about girls not able to trust their boyfriends, they had this guy named Shawnie and smack in the middle of the show, it suddenly shows his girlfriend crying in a room.  She looks up at the camera and says, "Shawnie died last week from an untreated hernia", my jaw dropped.  It was like one minute here he was rapping to girls behind his lady's back, and the next, he was dead.  The way she described it even was eerily similar to what happened to my friend.

It's the reason I told Woods previously it's good to get this thing taken care of....

This is a link to the story I mentioned:

http://remotecontrol.mtv.com/2008/08/03/true-lifes-shawny-gone-but-not-forgotten/
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 12:06:23 pm by skeebo1969 »

Offline woodshere

Hernia Surgery was a success
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 02:42:40 pm »
Hernia surgery went well this morning.  I am laying on the couch resting and popping pills.  Thanks for everyone's interest.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Hernia Surgery was a success
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 02:51:26 pm »
Hernia surgery went well this morning.  I am laying on the couch resting and popping pills.  Thanks for everyone's interest.

Glad to hear that all went well.  Take it easy now...

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 03:18:21 pm »
Get well soon. :-*

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 03:32:20 pm »
Yay, glad that it went well for you. I hope you have a smooth recovery. :)
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »
I am so glad to hear that the surgery went well. I hope you are back on your feet (and free of pain) very very soon.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline zach

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 03:36:57 pm »
fantastic man! glad to hear you're ok... no sneezing  :D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 05:25:06 pm »
Feel better soon ! ... did they give the good pills ? 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 05:28:33 pm »
Heal up soon, Woodsy! :-*

MtD

Offline woodshere

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 06:05:10 pm »
Feel better soon ! ... did they give the good pills ? 

not sure what the good pills are...i have percocet.  Seem to be working nicely. Trying to use them sparingly so that i have left over for future use... :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 06:15:26 pm »
not sure what the good pills are...i have percocet.  Seem to be working nicely. Trying to use them sparingly so that i have left over for future use... :)

Oxycodone is generic for Percocet so thats a pretty decent pain med . Get well soon woods !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 06:18:12 pm »

And get some metamucil going. Oxycodone will bind you up summat fierce.

MtD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 06:30:13 pm »

I'm glad the surgery went well Woodsy.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 10:22:28 pm »
Glad the surgery went well, and feel betterz soon!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline DancerBoy

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 08:58:48 am »
Awesome. So glad to see you're doing well.

I'm having the same procedure done in a week so I'm starting to get a little nervous. I was glad to find this thread...
-D
Boys are Stupid

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 12:41:22 pm »
So does your pee-pee look bigger now?

Here's to speedy healing. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline woodshere

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 01:12:24 pm »
So does your pee-pee look bigger now?

Who knows wearing a jock and briefs a size to small causes everything to be held so tight that it actually looks much smaller.  Plus haven't really had time to bring out the XTUBE, mom is still hear helping me.  But she leaves tomorrow so look out!!!!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 08:27:33 pm »
Glad to hear you are doing well Woods, just take it easy OK.. ;)

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.