Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:17:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 599
Total: 599

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla side effect of being turned off by starting sex?  (Read 10929 times)

Offline iamboku

Atripla side effect of being turned off by starting sex?
« on: July 31, 2009, 09:39:39 pm »
I am dating someone who is on Atripla and one of the side effects is his almost revulsion-like feelings at starting sex.  If i initiate it and he ignores his feelings, he will become horny and enjoy it.  He describes the feelings as similar to the feelings he sometimes gets about food.  i.e. he can be hungry but the thought of eating makes him feel sick or uneasy.  Has anyone else heard of or suffered this side effect? 

Offline ARMANDO

Re: Atripla side effect of being turned off by starting sex?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:35:35 am »
WOW,thats a new one for me!!!THE only time that i have ever used an excuse similiar to this  was just simply i wasn't into the guy sexually!!!

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:56:35 am »
hullo Iamboku  :)

Well  I can relate to this .

Even after all these years  I prefer  Not to have sex .   none .

Just fine with me ....................   

If I am  attacked in the night I go along ,and usually enjoy it .

But I do not start it  ::)

I am sure my shrink would have a word or two about this , but it works for me

most of the time ,

Honey still don't get it , But he don't got HIV  either after  28  years !

I do believe the stigma of the  meds  changed my attitude ?

I   should look into it , I know your not alone , It has come up at MY  group

HIV  meetings more than once .

be good , have fun ,be safe .

Carl

p.s.  If your guy goes along for the ride , then i say you are doing something  right and I
          wish you a wonderful relationship  :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 12:01:26 pm »
It may not be so far-fetched, although I did not see it listed anywhere as a side effect.  I have been on Atripla for almost two months and have (virtually) no interest in sex at all, but I am sure that in my case it is just some subconscious reaction to knowing that HIV is here with me.    Other people on these boards will testify to the contrary however; some stating that their sex-drive has increased once on this medication. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 01:06:25 pm »
There have been other posts where people claim Atripla makes them really horny.  Frankly I think it's all bullshit, but whatever.  If you're suddenly disinterested in sex and recently diagnosed perhaps the more logical thing would be to get professionally screened for depression, and if necessary avail yourself of some one-on-one cognitive behavioral therapy.

It's a lot of fun to blame every little metaphorical paper cut on our HIV medications but often it's not that simple.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline iamboku

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 09:57:48 pm »
Just to clarify further, my partner describes his aversion to starting any kind of sexual contact in the same terms as he does when he talks about how hard it is to eat sometimes, even when he knows he is hungry.  To the post saying it might be he just is not into me, I am pretty sure that is not the case:).   We have great sex once it gets started and his aversion to sex started before me and included his previous bf's.  We have been trying different combinations (taking pill earlier, on emptier stomach, with gym or without, etc) and on nights where side effects are minimal or non existant his aversion to starting sex seems to go away.
Since discussion of sexual side effects is hard find, I am searching for any others who might be experiencing this or be dating someone who is.

Thanks to those who have replied to date 

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:37:50 pm »
Miss P. I must say that I agree with your general assessment.  In my case however I would not say that depression is what's making me less interested in sex (I have suffered from it in the past and I honestly can't say that I feel particularly down these days).  Then again, I've had HIV for only a couple of months; maybe I will hit a "valley" at some point in the (hopefully not near) future.  For now I prefer to stay focused on my job, my folks, my animals, my new place, and things that make me happy.  No time to waste on tricks or the pursuit of love at this immediate stage of my life.

Iamboku, do you think that depression could be affecting your boyfriend?  Miss Philicia's point is one that you may want to consider for him.  Was he diagnosed recently?
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline iamboku

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 11:49:48 pm »
He was diagnosed more than 2 years ago and does not suffer from depression.  Of course he has the stress of living with HIV and taking a horse pill every night but I would say he is amazingly adjusted to the fight he is in.  For him, it really is a side effect that he suffers from.  Just as the other effects, it does not always happen and he can identify the when it is there and when it is not.   It is just such a strange one.   It is also a hard one to deal with unless you are able to openly talk about such things with the one you are dating.  In our case, it did cause confusion at first.  That is another reason i posted it.  It has been my experience that some of the side effects are hard to even identify as such.   Talking is always good but not always easy to do:).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 06:01:38 am »
iam,

Unlike some other posters, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of the meds causing this behaviour change in your partner. After all, Sustiva (one of the components of Atripla) is well-known to have behavioural side-effects. Among the most common pysch-sides are depression and mood-swings, and it's quite possible that this is your partner's own individual manifestation of Sustiva induced mood-swings. The psych side-effects with Sustiva are never black-and-white and will vary from person to person.

If this is becoming a big issue between you two and he's in danger of missing the odd dose here and there to get "that loving feeling" (whoa-whoa-oh*) he's lost, then maybe it's time to consider a switch to other meds.

Ann

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTvU3BELZEo
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 06:04:20 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline iamboku

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:14:35 pm »
Hello Ann,
Thank you for the reply.  My partner def suffers from mood swings from atripla.  However, we are getting better and better at finding the right combination of when to take pill,  after how many hours of no food,  with exercise ,etc to get rid of his side effects.   There are days when he does initiate sex and when he does not want it, i am ok with that:).   Atripla is working very well doing what it is supposed to do for him.  i.e keep him healthy.  Just hope others who might be dealing with this particular side effect will be able to talk about it.  It was really difficult not understanding what was going on before we talked about what my partner was feeling and going though

Offline midnightchatter

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 12:25:52 pm »
I have to admit i have exactly the same issues as mentioned in this post.

I'm on atripla and have been for 2 years before that it was separate truvada ad sustiva, I was very sexually active with my partner right up until i started meds.

Within 4 months my libido had gone.

After continually bringing this up with my doctor he has finally agreed to get my testosterone levels checked. ( I'm in the UK and as far as i know this isn't something that's readily available over here. )

Its amazing to hear someone else has the same feeling about the almost revulsion-like feelings at starting sex.

Of course i want to stay healthy by taking my meds routinely but i would also like to have a healthy sex life too.

Here's hoping the future holds some answers.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.