Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:16:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773193
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 253
Total: 255

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PLUGGED EARS _ DEATH IN FAMILY  (Read 5441 times)

Offline cityboy

PLUGGED EARS _ DEATH IN FAMILY
« on: February 07, 2010, 03:58:50 pm »
I have been suffering with Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (plugged ears, fullness) since October 2009.  I have been to my id doctor, 4 Ear Nose and Throat guys, 2 are well known in NYC. I have tried cortesteroid sprays, etc etc.  Am beginning to feel hopeless and extremely depressed.  I don't know if any of you have expereinced this and can help.  I have researched for days everything I could on the internet.   I try to be positive, but my friends are dismissing me when I talk to this and even say u have to learn to live with it it may be permanent.  My id doc says that being HIV positive is no the cause.  I have been positive since July 2007 and take Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada.  I am in good health otherwise.  Then on January 28, 2009 my mom died from an accident.  I feel so lost.  I was just sitting here thinking why am I alive, why is God doing this to me?  I don't even leave the house for the last few days.  Just wish to be dead.  I feel there is no hope to cure this problem, and the person who has loved me the most is gone. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:01:15 pm by cityboy »

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
Re: PLUGGED EARS _ DEATH IN FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 04:05:20 pm »
Sorry to learn of your recent hearing problem and the frustration you are having in finding a cause and solution.  That said, I would separate out the two things, your hearing problem and your mental health issues which you seem to do in the last line of your post.  Mental health issues need a good mental health doctor to diagnose and prescribe.  That done, you should be able to approach the hearing issue or deal with it as currently the only physical problem you post having. 
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline justus35

• I AM STILL STANDING
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 04:43:15 pm »
PLEASE  HANG IN THERE , I FEEL THE SAME WAY AS YOU , MY MOM PASSED AWAY UNEXPECTEDLY IN 2007 AND I FOUND OUT I WAS HIV POSITIVE A MONTH LATER SO I FEEL YOUR PAIN ,I ACTUALLY REALLY DIDN'T DEAL WITH THE HIV STUFF BECUASE I WAS STILL GREIVING OVER MY MOM ,AND I STILL HAVE DAYS WHEN I HAVE TO MAKE MYSELF GET OUT OF THE BED BUT I DO IT SINCE I KNOW MY MOM WOULDNT WANT ME TO BE LIKE THIS , IT WILL GET EASIER BUT YOU WILL NEVER FORGET  MY MOM WAS MY BEST FREIND ,AND I STILL CANT BELIEVE SHE IS GONE , BUT WHEN  I THINK THAT I CAN GO ON, MY MOM IS SAYING YES YOU CAN AND YOU WILL , BEST OF LUCK ,AND BE BLESSED!
SELF MADE -DOING IT FOR MYSELF

Offline cityboy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 06:52:08 pm »
PLEASE  HANG IN THERE , I FEEL THE SAME WAY AS YOU , MY MOM PASSED AWAY UNEXPECTEDLY IN 2007 AND I FOUND OUT I WAS HIV POSITIVE A MONTH LATER SO I FEEL YOUR PAIN ,I ACTUALLY REALLY DIDN'T DEAL WITH THE HIV STUFF BECUASE I WAS STILL GREIVING OVER MY MOM ,AND I STILL HAVE DAYS WHEN I HAVE TO MAKE MYSELF GET OUT OF THE BED BUT I DO IT SINCE I KNOW MY MOM WOULDNT WANT ME TO BE LIKE THIS , IT WILL GET EASIER BUT YOU WILL NEVER FORGET  MY MOM WAS MY BEST FREIND ,AND I STILL CANT BELIEVE SHE IS GONE , BUT WHEN  I THINK THAT I CAN GO ON, MY MOM IS SAYING YES YOU CAN AND YOU WILL , BEST OF LUCK ,AND BE BLESSED!

My Mom always was positive, never complained and was a wonderful person. Just a very simple down to earth woman.  I had just lost my dad to cancer a few years before.  I always spoke to my father about the rough things.   I understand what you mean about the hiv stuff.  I am just now coming to terms with it.  I am now able to look a doctor in the face and tell him I am positive. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 07:23:05 pm »
Cityboy, I'm very sorry regarding your tremendous loss of your mother.  Both my parents died within the last 3 years, so I can relate.  Just hang in there, and see a professional perhaps to deal with your grief effectively.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 08:06:19 pm »
Hi Cityboy:
Sorry about ur loss and ur grief --- hopefully it will get easier to deal with as time goes on.  What are they doing for your plugged ear condition?  Is it a definitive diagnosis?  Have you had a syphillis titer done?  I only ask because shortly before being diagnosed positive I lost my hearing in one ear and went and got a hearing aid.  I was then diagnosed by a different doc as having syph.  an MRI showed my ear loss related to an infection (they originally thought I might have some type of tumor because it was so sudden).  After receiving treatment for the syph -- my hearing returned to normal --- it was from Stage 2 syph.  And I was stuck with a $2,500 hearing aid.  So, if u have a definitive diagnosis then follow docs treatment recs -- if u have never been checked for syph - make sure they do that --- at any rate, keep sharing about ur loss and know that others have been where u are and have made it thru....
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 09:05:55 pm »
Dear Cityboy,

Down  to Earth people are the best , Take Care

love
m
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 12:29:26 am »
Cityboy,

You are going through a lot right now--being HIV poz, ear problems, and loss of your mom.  I'm very sorry to hear about your mom.  I don't think anyone can tell you anything to make that easier.  Give the ear issue more time to see if it clears up.  If regular docs can't find anything, consider a chiropractor.  It is amazing what a pinched nerve or something can cause physically.  How long have you been depressed?  I suffered with depression even before HIV.  When my depression gets bad, I notice my ears are affected.  They pop a lot and will clog up now and then.  When I told docs about this, they dismissed it.  Well, they say depression can cause all sorts of physical things.  Again, this happened before HIV.  It sounds like you have major issues in the ears and not just popping and occasional clogging.

I guess what I'm saying is to keep looking for an answer.  You worried me about some of the things you said about wishing to be dead.  If the docs cannot find a reason, maybe consider something like a pinched nerve or depression.  I know it may sound far fetched, but ya never know.  Just keep looking for an answer.  Maybe you're having a reaction to meds or something they are missing like some viral thing. 

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 01:01:22 am »
Have you been checked by your ENT for Meniere's Disease.  This is completely unrelated to HIV, but the classic symptoms are:  hearing loss, fullness in ears that does not go away, tinnitus (persistent ringing or roaring) and balance issues.  I have Meniere's.  It cannot be cured, but the symptoms can be treated with a daily diuretic and a low salt diet.  It does need diagnosis by an ENT.  Maybe this will help.
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline Atripla_User

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 08:58:03 am »
i don't have a name for a disease to give you, but my ENT told me it is common in HIV to have ear problems. Even if your not on medicine it can happen. Mine was helped and cleared up pretty well by getting ear tubes. They vaccumed out the mucus and put tiny tubes in, gave me potent, infection killing ear drops and I also took antibiotics. it cleared it up. I still have trouble with it 5 years now, but I've had 2 sets of tubes, and tiny permanant holes in my ear drums. So they regulate air pressure and let fluid drain better now. But you can't get inside your ears wet, or you will cause more infection. Its worth it though to be able to HEAR......So go see an ENT and also make sure you are clear of the other disease too. Keep us posted !!!!!  Good luck, and BE PATIENT. You will be o.k. if you just see this through.

Offline cityboy

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 10:36:54 am »
Have you been checked by your ENT for Meniere's Disease.  This is completely unrelated to HIV, but the classic symptoms are:  hearing loss, fullness in ears that does not go away, tinnitus (persistent ringing or roaring) and balance issues.  I have Meniere's.  It cannot be cured, but the symptoms can be treated with a daily diuretic and a low salt diet.  It does need diagnosis by an ENT.  Maybe this will help.

No Meniere's , only have fullness, thanks to God,  hearing is fine just slight loss on right side at whisper tone-is no big deal.  Is called Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.  I am sorry to know you have Meniere's i understand how difficult this must be to cope with.  My prayers to you!!

Offline cityboy

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 10:43:13 am »
i don't have a name for a disease to give you, but my ENT told me it is common in HIV to have ear problems. Even if your not on medicine it can happen. Mine was helped and cleared up pretty well by getting ear tubes. They vaccumed out the mucus and put tiny tubes in, gave me potent, infection killing ear drops and I also took antibiotics. it cleared it up. I still have trouble with it 5 years now, but I've had 2 sets of tubes, and tiny permanant holes in my ear drums. So they regulate air pressure and let fluid drain better now. But you can't get inside your ears wet, or you will cause more infection. Its worth it though to be able to HEAR......So go see an ENT and also make sure you are clear of the other disease too. Keep us posted !!!!!  Good luck, and BE PATIENT. You will be o.k. if you just see this through.

I have seen 4 ENT's, and am leaving tubes as a last resort.  Can you explain what you say regarding ear problems being common to HIV positive people.  My ENT said it had nothing to do with being positive.  I am just wondering why the difference of opinion.  I am also wondering if this is related to HIV, then why more people have no say anything in this forum.  Seems unusual.  I was also told that I have no fluid in my ears.  This may be due to allergies, I was told.

Offline cityboy

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 10:50:52 am »
Cityboy,

You are going through a lot right now--being HIV poz, ear problems, and loss of your mom.  I'm very sorry to hear about your mom.  I don't think anyone can tell you anything to make that easier.  Give the ear issue more time to see if it clears up.  If regular docs can't find anything, consider a chiropractor.  It is amazing what a pinched nerve or something can cause physically.  How long have you been depressed?  I suffered with depression even before HIV.  When my depression gets bad, I notice my ears are affected.  They pop a lot and will clog up now and then.  When I told docs about this, they dismissed it.  Well, they say depression can cause all sorts of physical things.  Again, this happened before HIV.  It sounds like you have major issues in the ears and not just popping and occasional clogging.

I guess what I'm saying is to keep looking for an answer.  You worried me about some of the things you said about wishing to be dead.  If the docs cannot find a reason, maybe consider something like a pinched nerve or depression.  I know it may sound far fetched, but ya never know.  Just keep looking for an answer.  Maybe you're having a reaction to meds or something they are missing like some viral thing. 

Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Usually I am a very happy dude.  Death of mom was a lot to handle especially since it just happened just like that with no warning. I am a little depressed, but dealing with it.   Yes I am looking for solutions, and I am currently going to a chiropractor and will go to accupunturist next. I felt a little relief with the chiropractor-has hope.   I am also trying some holistic things which someone in a chat room recommended.  I have had an MRI done to check for tumor and will schedule to go back to this ENT for results.  I have also located 2 of the best ENTs, one who is a student of the other guy.  I will have to travel to Conneticut to see him, so I will leave this for a while, since I have other avenues to go down first.  Thanks-stay in touch. :-)

Offline cityboy

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 10:58:45 am »
Hi Cityboy:
Sorry about ur loss and ur grief --- hopefully it will get easier to deal with as time goes on.  What are they doing for your plugged ear condition?  Is it a definitive diagnosis?  Have you had a syphillis titer done?  I only ask because shortly before being diagnosed positive I lost my hearing in one ear and went and got a hearing aid.  I was then diagnosed by a different doc as having syph.  an MRI showed my ear loss related to an infection (they originally thought I might have some type of tumor because it was so sudden).  After receiving treatment for the syph -- my hearing returned to normal --- it was from Stage 2 syph.  And I was stuck with a $2,500 hearing aid.  So, if u have a definitive diagnosis then follow docs treatment recs -- if u have never been checked for syph - make sure they do that --- at any rate, keep sharing about ur loss and know that others have been where u are and have made it thru....

thanks for you support.  I have gone to 4 ents.  They say to hydrate with more water, continue with Mucinex.  I have begun to take soe holistic medicines that I saw from a chat room on the web.  I also am seeing a chiropractor, since some of the problem may be caused by discs in my neck.  I will definetely check for syphilliis, although I dont think I have that, but you never know!  the diagnosis is Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, thanks to God, no hearing loss, just in right ear they say I did no get the whisper tones that good, but they say could be from listening to music too loud.  I am sorry to learn of you situation.  My prayers to you!!!

Offline Atripla_User

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 08:53:49 am »
I have seen 4 ENT's, and am leaving tubes as a last resort.  Can you explain what you say regarding ear problems being common to HIV positive people.  My ENT said it had nothing to do with being positive.  I am just wondering why the difference of opinion.  I am also wondering if this is related to HIV, then why more people have no say anything in this forum.  Seems unusual.  I was also told that I have no fluid in my ears.  This may be due to allergies, I was told.

different doctors will tell you different things. I was brushed off by the first doctor and then the 2nd and 3rd helped me a lot. You might have mucus in your ear, not fluid. Mine had to be vaccumed out it was so thick, very geletin like my doc told me. When it gets that thick, it could lead to what they call glue ear if not taken out.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.