Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:21:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 682
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 641
Total: 644

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Would This Be A Good Thing Here In The States?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline tednlou2

Would This Be A Good Thing Here In The States?
« on: November 15, 2010, 03:21:34 am »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Would This Be A Good Thing Here In The States?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 03:26:54 am »
Hmmmm, this isn't something I think should be done.  I mean he shouldn't have lied, but when he made the accusations did no one ask for proof?  Basically the judges are denying the will of the people...even if the people were misguided by a distortion of the truth.

Offline carousel

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 05:28:18 am »
In spite of what is being said in the right wing newspapers, there is considerable disquiet about this.  Woolas is hardly the first politician that has put lies in their publicity material. 

In my constituency, the mp, Simon Hughes is also Deputy Leader of the Liberals, won his seat by running a campaign of lies, swears and homophobic comments against the Labour opponent, Gay Activist Peter Tatchell.  That's despite the fact that Simon Hughes's sexuality is, I think he says, "unclear".  Though this was a long time ago.

The Liberals are legendary for running smear campaigns during elections and seem to have stayed quiet about the whole issue.

There is also deep concern that the judiciary has made a decision about a member of Parliament that transgresses the separation of Parliament and the Judicary.  Phil Woolas was elected democratically, in spite of his actions during the campaign.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:06:08 am »
Phil Woolas was elected democratically, in spite of his actions during the campaign.

This is the first I've heard of this as I don't follow UK politics quite as closely as I probably should. (We have enough to keep me busy here on the Rock) But my first, gut reaction is that if he was elected via a campaign based on lies, his constituents could hardly be making an informed decision, so how is that democratic?

Maybe if this were to become common practice, politicians would be less inclined to lie.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 10:03:49 am »
I think we really need this because Americans are just not litigious enough.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 05:23:45 pm »
I hope the UK keeps all its laws regarding  elections and continues to monitor political lies  and expenditure during elections. When there are no consequences on politicions for lying out and out propaganda can flourish. If is mixed in with a biased press pushing one agenda then the ground is being prepared for totalitarian systems to flourish.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline fearless

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 06:07:51 pm »
Sounds like a recipe for disaster and lots of future litigation.

All candidates stretch the truth to some extent in an election campaign. I always thought it was the voter at the ballot box who decided whether or not they believed the bs being spun by each candidate.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.