Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:32:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 605
Total: 605

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Need to Vent - The Stage 3 Label  (Read 4397 times)

Offline MarkintheDark

Need to Vent - The Stage 3 Label
« on: February 02, 2019, 05:19:37 am »
Hi guys -- Probably the roughest few months in my 26 years.  Hospitalized/intubated back in October and a month-and-a-half to recover.  I'd been taken down by a simple rhinovirus.  Almost a repeat a couple weeks ago with the indescribable panic that accompanies not being able to breathe.  Again, a simple effin' cold.  Almost put myself in the ER had I not remembered that the Robitussin DM they'd given me calmed things down.  Nevertheless, another round of prednisone (and the shakes) plus Levaquin (trots).

The past five years have seen a heart attack, emergency gall bladder removal and a couple COPD events.  In short, I've been in decline.  Fatigue is a regular companion that saps my energy and limits my activities.  imo, I shouldn't be this way in my early 60s.  That last hospitalization dropped my CD4 into the mid-100s again.

I have a particularly good therapist who's well-versed with us LTS.  He's candid with me when he thinks necessary.  A couple things kinda threw me...or perhaps just snapped me into an unpleasant reality.  For one, he finally shared that he figured he was going to lose me in October the way he's lost other LTS clients.  His surprise at my recovery he called a Lazarus effect.  He's not one to use that kind of language lightly.  The other thing was he referred to me as Stage 3, which is accurate but not a label, if you will, I'd considered.  tbh, I was more comfortable with an AIDS diagnosis (fully applicable in my case).

I already have medication for anxiety, fortunately.  But confronting my own mortality at a deeper level than ever has shaken me up.  I trust this guy.  He knows what he's doing by shepherding me down this path.  But, to be frank, I don't like it.   I feel I've reached a new stage in my disease in which I'll have to accept that I've some serious physical limitations.  I've been fighting that for several years.

I'll add that this has nothing to do with so-called "courage."  I've fought my way back because I'm scared.
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline harleymc

Re: Need to Vent - The Stage 3 Label
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 07:35:55 pm »
Hi Mark,

You've been doing it rough all right.  It's no surprise that you've been feeling tired and are somewhat down in the dumps.

A heart attack and COPD are going to leave you low on energy for some time to come.

Chin up a label like stage 3 or AIDS or whatever is probably your least significant healing issue to tackle.

BTW I've had CD4s under 200 for the last 6 years with nothing AIDS defining since I cleared my KS back in 2012 we got this HIV thing licked.

Offline MarkintheDark

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 08:38:17 am »
Thx harley.  Appreciate the sentiment.  tbh, I need to hear that from people who can be more objective than me and who don't have an agenda (i.e., insisting I accede to their interests that I'm in no condition to address).

In fact, last year was the first time in 17 years I'd broken 200.  Two steps forward, etc.  I think I still haven't recovered psychologically from the October hospitalization.  They've never had to put me out like that before. 

The recent cold that then took me down for a couple weeks was followed by a fever last weekend...and I'm, WTF?
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 10:39:54 pm »
Mark I'm officially blaming you for my cold,  nothing to do with running around with not enough clothes on during Sydney's Mardi Gras.

Take care

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.