Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:12:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 622
Total: 622

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bizarre turn of events  (Read 4627 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Bizarre turn of events
« on: August 28, 2006, 11:05:46 pm »
While not strictly HIV-related, I do have a question that is health related, which, in a roundabout way, has to do with HIV.

Anyone ever try kosher salt?

My doctor ordered me to up my salt intake today and I heard kosher salt imparts a better flavor.

Seems my blood pressure is a tad too low and he wants me to raise it. I never use much salt, so ...

I had to have my blood pressure checked today because I was having a few difficulties with dizziness (no wise cracks now!).

There were a few episodes prior to my trip, but they really got bad in Montreal. The room would spin and it felt like the ground was moving beneath my feet - and I was sober.

Today, my blood pressure was a little low, 86/45. The doc was a bit concerned becasue I had just walked in, hadn't rested and had just finished a cigarette before entering the building.

He said if its that low when I'm active, he didn't want to know what it was when I was resting or asleep.

I don't think I do either.

Anyway, more salt in the food and probably some darn cadiac tests down the road. Family history has a way of catching up with you, I guess.

So, anyone know anything about kosker salt?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline allanq

Re: Bizarre turn of events
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 11:31:53 pm »
Mark,
Sorry about the problems you're having with low blood pressure. I hope the doctor's recommendations will work to clear this up.

Kosher salt tastes just like regular salt, but it's coarser. You can't put it in a normal salt shaker, unless it has fairly large holes. I'm not sure why, but sometimes on cooking shows they say to season the meat with kosher salt.

My mother kept a kosher house when I was growing up, and I remember her "koshering" the chicken by letting it sit under running water and sprinkling it with Diamond brand kosher salt. (Don't ask me what that all means.)

Allan

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 11:34:19 pm »
Marc

I use it all the time now when I cook (mostly because of all the cooks on the Food Network.)  It certainly won't fit in a salt shaker.  I keep it in a small prep bowl on the counter and use a pinch or two of it anytime I would ordinarily use salt.  You do tend to use less and it does have a nice flavor. 

Give it a try!

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline bluelove

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 11:39:01 pm »
I use it all the time.A little bit does go a long way.

And l have a Kosher house so the salt is always in use.

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 11:39:47 pm »
I prefer Kosher salt over table salt.  We have a shaker with large enough holes to work with it, and it's good to have nearby in a prep bowl so you can dash some in your food.

Good luck with raising the BP.  I hope it goes well for you.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Christine

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:27:08 am »
Hi Mark,
Yes- I use kosher salt...I think it is Morton brand. It is in a big, blue box. Sea salt is also very good, although a bit more expensive. There is a gray sea salt, and a red sea salt from Hawaii. I have never used the gray, or red but I see it used a lot on the food network.

The kosher salt grains are larger, so I keep mine in a salt pig.

Christine--who wonders why she knows so much about salt.....
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 09:30:14 am »
Hey Marc...

Don't know much about kosher salt.  I do have low blood pressure and can appreciate the
dizziness and unsteadiness that comes with the territory.  Personally I'm dizzy most of the time and have
learned the hard way to reach for support when moving about.  As for Montreal...Hmm  I thought the whole
city was moving under my feet...especially on the third floor of Sky. ::)

Good Luck Buddy ....Hope you feel better soon.  You gave good hugs in Montreal and now I know the earth moved
for both of us :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 10:29:51 am »
Hi Mark,

Can't say I know much about kosher salt either.
I do have very low BP though.
Mine is always 60 over 90 or lower and YES! the dizziness is just wicked!
I am constantly dizzy.
It feels just awful!
I hope you can get your's adjusted and begin feeling better!

Peace,
Kelly
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 11:34:08 am »
I almost exclusively use Kosher salt. It has a better taste than table salt.
Living where you do though, I would direct you to give gray salt a try. It is a coarse salt used often in hispanic cuisine. There is a spanish market around the corner from me, and I buy it in one pound bags. It lasts me forever, as I don't use a lot of salt either, but I am ambivalent between kosher-vs-gray. Both can be put into a grinder for cooking, or table seasoning.

PS...I would kill for your blood pressure, or something approximate. :P
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 05:30:28 pm »
Do you like dutch licorice, Mark? It helps to raise the blood pressure. I could send you a package to try out if you like.

Hug

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 06:57:40 pm »
Hi Mark

I don't know anything about Kosher salt, but I do know that you have a few spells when I was with you in Montral, I put this down to standing around for too long in the heat..but it sounds like you really do need to increase your salt intake and drink more fluids (water.. ;))..I hope you can get to the bottom of this..with the normal blood pressure being around 120/80..I would say you are a "Tad" on the low side.
Let us know how things go...thinking about you.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 07:01:40 pm »
I use Kosher salt on everything I cook, it is great.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 07:16:12 pm »
Mark, it's the same salt used to salt the edge of a margarita glass.  ;)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 08:02:01 pm »
Hello Mark,

And usually people have to worry about blood pressure rising. I am not familiar with the Kosher salt, but I hope things will start improving for you soon. I had these occassional spells of dizziness, when I get up from a resting postion. The doctor called it something,( some technical term) but I will be dammed if I can remember what it was. Take care of yourself, let us know how the kosher salt works. I'de be curious !

Take care-------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.