Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:56:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 342
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "hiv neg" guys wanting to top undetectable poz, bareback ?????  (Read 22042 times)

Offline witch

"hiv neg" guys wanting to top undetectable poz, bareback ?????
« on: September 28, 2013, 05:34:23 pm »
I'm undetectable poz and I started the online "dating" thing a month ago. I have already 2-3 guys that claim they are "negative" but want to top me bareback, knowing that I am undetectable poz.

Anyone met those, they don't seem rare species?
Are they really negative and think that topping an undetectable poz can't transmit hiv or they are lying about their status or want to get poz so they can bareback until the world ends?

Offline darryaz

Re: "hiv neg" guys wanting to top undetectable poz, bareback ?????
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:39:05 pm »
My initial reaction to this is, "RUN!!!"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 05:45:34 pm »
First they tried to serosort and found it only works well if you are already poz . Now undetectable is the new serosorting tool for those who don't like condoms .

I can hear it now , but they said they were undetectable , I cant have aids .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 06:04:54 pm »
Are they really negative and think that topping an undetectable poz can't transmit hiv or they are lying about their status or want to get poz so they can bareback until the world ends?

I have met them.

I would say rather rare but yeah more and more.

Are they really negative and think that topping an undetectable poz can't transmit hiv - yes some of them probably are negative and yes they think that.  Probably they have some justification.  Seems less a crap shoot if they can believe you really are HIV+ and undetectable.  Because its less risky with you (though maybe still a small risk) than with guys who believe they are HIV-, "STD FREE U BE 2" types - and in fact are not.

or they are lying about their status - yes, probably some are in some weird head trip and are HIV+

or want to get poz so they can bareback until the world ends - I would say this is the least likely characterisation.  If they are bugchasers they can find better partners than HIV+ undetectable guys....
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:19:15 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:21:01 pm »
To be clear, these are not "bug chasers." They are people who interpret the Swiss study (and others) and make an extrapolation outside the boundaries of the studies - a mutually monogamous relationship devoid of any other STDs.

In the absence of other STDs, particularly those which cause inflammation in the anorectal area, the risk of topping a positive bottom with an UD VL is roughly the same as using a condom.

Way more risk of the bottom getting an STD from the top, who is presumably going raw with other people as well.

You realize this is how many if not most serodiscordant couples have babies, right?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:23:03 pm by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 07:57:42 pm »
I have met them.

Them?

Sounds like your creating a class of people based on an experience with two guys. 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 08:10:55 pm »
Them?

Sounds like your creating a class of people based on an experience with two guys.

Hmmm?? how about your, "anyone met those, they don't seem rare species."   ::)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 08:22:35 pm »
Them?

More like he knows they are a "class" of people, that are often referred to as "bug-chasers", or "gift-givers" and "gift-receivers" and even "poz-breeders", to simply name a few.

Joe 

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 05:29:53 am »
What ever the terminology, this is not good.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 06:06:28 am »
I have met people who acted as described in he OPs first post. HV- people who will bareback with HIV+ undetectable people. More than two.  ??? :o :-\

The OP wasn't creating a class of people in his post either. He had a list of possible scanarios and I elaborated on his list. 

And then a few of us offerred information about what being undetectable means. Because the OP said things that seem to imply he thinks its easy or common for undetectable bottoms to transmit HIV.

Also, "bugchasers."  lol 

I think the general tone so far in the thread is debunking stereotypes and classes of people.  And providing information...

read jkinatl2's post.  Good explanation for whats going on.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:08:59 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 08:09:41 am »
I don't know. I guess.
It just seemed like an odd thread to me.  The OP meets two guys who want to have sex with him bareback and we are supposed to know what their motivations for doing so are?  We are supposed to know if they are lying.  Then we started to group them in as bug chasers and what not.

Maybe the op is just really hot with a nice ass and they wanted to fuck him.

I've been out of the dating scene for awhile and I'll be the first to admit I'm not up to date on a lot of things like this.  It just to me seemed like an odd stretch.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 09:38:48 am »
  It just to me seemed like an odd stretch.

Anal sex and and an odd stretch go hand in hand . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 10:17:17 am »
I don't know. I guess.
It just seemed like an odd thread to me.  The OP meets two guys who want to have sex with him bareback and we are supposed to know what their motivations for doing so are?  We are supposed to know if they are lying.  Then we started to group them in as bug chasers and what not.

Maybe the op is just really hot with a nice ass and they wanted to fuck him.

I've been out of the dating scene for awhile and I'll be the first to admit I'm not up to date on a lot of things like this.  It just to me seemed like an odd stretch.

The OP posted because he wanted opinions about his experience.
Nobody supported his third category, the "bug-chaser", because it doesn't make much sense.

We don't know the motivations of the individual people he met, duh.  We are speculating on the reasons "someone" HIV- might pursue this. 

I've met HIV- guys who will bareback poz guys, and that was before I was HIV+ so that's 5 years.  I've met others since I have been HIV+.   The word is out about treatment as prevention.   So what is it you can't fathom?  People want to get the sex they want. If they hear poz undetectable guys aren't likely to transmit the virus, they are perfectly happy to put that factoid into their rationale for getting the sex they want. 

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:21:40 am by mecch »

Offline witch

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 04:22:20 pm »
First they tried to serosort and found it only works well if you are already poz . Now undetectable is the new serosorting tool for those who don't like condoms .

I can hear it now , but they said they were undetectable , I cant have aids .   

I guess that nails it down - undetectable hiv poz is the new hiv neg LOL

To summarize so far:

(1) they don't like to use condoms, possibly erectile issues with condoms
(2) they know the risk with undetectable hiv poz bottom is pretty low
(3) they must know that there is still risk, especially if the guy lies he is undetectable but they accept that risk because they know there are drugs that work

On the other hand, im still uncomfortable to bareback with someone that is not even a bf, just because he can't keep it hard in condom. This is a convenient vector for spreading other STDs.

Now the ones that keep whining that I'm creating 'a class', 'a group' ... yes I DO. This is what science is about, CLASSIFICATION. And the group I am talking about is not small at all, in a month I got 3 such proposals, and today I got the 4th. If you actually 'date', you should know that this is quite high frequency.

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 06:36:59 pm »
I'm undetectable poz and I started the online "dating" thing a month ago. I have already 2-3 guys that claim they are "negative" but want to top me bareback, knowing that I am undetectable poz.

Maybe they're danger junkies or maybe they know poz guys are better in bed.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 07:19:41 pm »

Now the ones that keep whining that I'm creating 'a class', 'a group' ... yes I DO. This is what science is about, CLASSIFICATION. And the group I am talking about is not small at all, in a month I got 3 such proposals, and today I got the 4th. If you actually 'date', you should know that this is quite high frequency.

What your doing is hardly science it's conjecture.  Your assuming that a group of people have a particular motivation based on yourpersonal experience with two people (now four). 

Instead of asking us why these people are behaving a certain way why don't you ask them?  You will probably get four different answers.  Humans are complex and they don't always fit in little boxes.  As someone who is HIV positive you should have first handexperience with that, or you will.  Society has put all HIV positive people in the same "irresponsible" box, you shouldn't do it to . others.

Oh ya, look up the word whining, this is the internet you should expect different opinions.

Offline randym431

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2013, 09:37:00 am »
Whats that old saying...
Fool me once, shame on you.
Shame me twice, shame on me.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 06:37:14 pm »
Out of curiosity, do theyhave these conversations in the women's forum? If so, do they differ in tone?

Is it commonly called barebacking when straight people do it?

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 08:35:00 pm »
Out of curiosity, do theyhave these conversations in the women's forum? If so, do they differ in tone?

I'm no anthropologist, but I believe they call it "sex". ;)
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 09:32:15 pm »

That speaks volumes

Offline toki427

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 10:37:08 pm »

Hi jkinatl, not to impinge upon your experience, but wasn't the Swiss study only conducted among heterosexual couples? Although it is "sex" either way in the social sense of the word, it is known that unprotected anal sex is riskier than unprotected vaginal sex due to the lining of the anus being a lot more susceptible to tearing than the vagina. In fact, isn't it true that many (if not most) of the studies that try to quantify the risk of unprotected sex amongst serodiscordant people pretty much pertain to heterosexual couples in monogamous relationships?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 03:03:46 am »
Hi jkinatl, not to impinge upon your experience, but wasn't the Swiss study only conducted among heterosexual couples? Although it is "sex" either way in the social sense of the word, it is known that unprotected anal sex is riskier than unprotected vaginal sex due to the lining of the anus being a lot more susceptible to tearing than the vagina. In fact, isn't it true that many (if not most) of the studies that try to quantify the risk of unprotected sex amongst serodiscordant people pretty much pertain to heterosexual couples in monogamous relationships?

This is absolutely accurate, both regarding the scope of the studies and the difference between the anal tissue/mucosa and the vaginal tissue mucosa.

There are a couple of studies about the rectal mucosa, and some findings suggest that concentrations of HIV in the rectal mucosa ar higher and more accessible/omnipresent than HIV in the cervovaginal mucosa. Some HIV meds penetrate the genital area more thoroughly than others, notably tenofovir. darunavir and etravirine (Truvada, Prezista, and Intelence).

Penetrative anal and vaginal sex are indeed two different animals. And it is important to recognise that fact.

Now studies which have indicated higher concentration of viable HIV in rectal mucosa as opposed to cervical mucosa do not, and seem to be unable to determine exactly HOW much higher these concentrations tend to be, whether the viral particles are viable, and what, exactly is the threshold for transmission.

My comment was to indicate that anal sex among gay man seems to contain a stigma and perception that seems notto be present among heterosexuals, even those who participate in anal sex.

This information can assist people who might be in committed magnetic relationships when the positive partner is the receptive partner in anal sex. It might, resistance and side-effect issues notwithstanding* help determine the drugs the positive person decides to take in order to accomodate unprotected anal sex once an undetectable vial load is achieved.

I simply find it ironic that we place what appears to me to be a weighted value on gay males who make the same informed decision that heterosexual couples make. The important thing, obviously is to make certain that information is accurate and valid.

To reference the OP, I admit that I have doubts regarding the depth of knowledge that is often used to make what may well ultimately end up being regrettable decisions.

sources:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22158861

http://www.catie.ca/en/pif/fall-2011/exposure-infection-biology-hiv-transmission

*I understand that you can't and shouldn't dismiss the very important aspects of treatment choices, which include efficacy and side-effects issues. However, the three drugs I mentioned seem to be among the best tolerated of the current crop of meds.

Welcome Thread

Offline JungleJungle

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 09:11:58 pm »

True. I am fully bisexual and had ton of sexual dates both with man or women...
In my personal experience men are divided in groups:
people asking obsessively barebacking sex
People who just did not care enough about safe sex
People using properly condoms and still having fun
People obsessed by condoms and not having fun
...women are divided in:
Condoms? Do you think i am a bitch?
Condoms? I have not...have you got 'em?

Seriously, i was joking and really do not want to seems misogenous, but only met a few women in my sexual like that were careful about safe sex.
Just my personal experience.
You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin',
I'm gonna send you back to schoolin',
Way down inside honey, you need it,
I'm gonna give you my love,
I'm gonna give you my love.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.