Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:39:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773295
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 591
Total: 591

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Does stress have any effect on cd4s?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Sera

Does stress have any effect on cd4s?
« on: April 21, 2011, 11:56:09 pm »
The reason i am asking is because for the last two months, i have been under tremedous stress from parenting  my 18 year old son. So i was surprised today when i  got results from blood work i did last week because my numbers had  improved; cd4 from 162 to 400, viral load from 594 to 386, and % from 41 to 36. I am not complaining about it, just wondering.

Offline tednlou2

Re: Does stress have any effect on cd4s?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:47:26 am »
Congrats on the improvement!  I've always heard some people actually thrive on stress.  I still think most only have negative results from stress.  But, you probably just started meds?   

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 12:53:29 am »
starting in the month of march back in 2007 while my partner went through 60 torturous days in the hospital with cancer and AIDS, while I dealt with the house, the dogs, and driving back and forth through a weekend long blizzard on my 46th birthday, for the first time in 17 yrs of meds, my cd4s (at the high range of my normal 250) and viral load stayed stable. And even after he passed away (on may 1st, coming up on 3 years ago very soon), after I had to beg for money for his cremation, after the car was repossessed, after I lost his family home, and after I finally got the dogs and me moved into a new house and started our new life without my partner, my counts still stayed stable. Why even the average of puking 6 times a month that had been going on for 5 years stopped while I dealt with all those issues and heartache in the hospital and has never returned. Now after fighting off homelessness twice in the last 3 yrs, moving from Ohio (leaving behind 25 yrs of my life, my friends, and my two late partners -one buried and other's ashes sprinkled on that same grave)  back home to the Carolinas to live at my mom's house and having just turned 49, my counts are still stable.  ::) ;D

Yes, stress can be detrimental sometimes; but not always. ;)
I'm glad to read such good numbers for you.
Best wishes and continued good health!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:32:00 am »
There have been studies showing that stress can adversely affect the immune system. It probably varies among different individuals. I think in my case I dropped 300 T cells in about a month, after diagnosis, before starting meds due to the fact that my stress was out of control.

With prolonged stress, high levels of the hormone cortisol are released. Cortisol has been found to have an immunosuppressive effect.

If you Google "stress cortisol immune" there's more information.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:34:26 am by Inchlingblue »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.