Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:58:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 423
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 412
Total: 413

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Anyone in the same situation ?

Has anyone ALT gone up 712 and how did you feel?
0 (0%)
First time on this site and going through this mainly alone.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: My liver function test is really high 713,, really worried of liver failure.  (Read 4084 times)

Offline onajourney

Hey guys,been on Atripla since first of Jan this year and for my surprise got a call from doc saying my liver function was really high 714,  since the day I got the doctor s call  I stopped drinking and instead of one Atripla a day the pharmacy gave me the same Atripla tablet but dived into two tablets ( mainly because of costs )2 months passed by and I did a second liver function test, this time results came ALT 412 ? Anyone think or had anything similar happening to them ? Meds really affect me and I work shifts so constantly taking my tablets different timings but within two hour period either way sometimes more depends on day ... Still six months after taking Atripla two hours after taking meds feel really tired and drained it goes away after an hour or so (not always I can go to bed after taking meds, só really feel this 2 hour after effect) . I also did hep and other exams and all came back clear.  Ps I had a few side effects when I started Atripla, including rash, dizziness, and heat sensation.  I still feel heat in my body after taking it..I must say before my first Liver function test I took Atripla even while having a drink ;/.  Doc said it was fine, hence why did it ;) currently ALT is 412, bilirubin was normal alk phos 256  and my bone and kidney tests normal and I am undetectable.

Hope someone can help me
Thank you

Onajourney

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

Keep in mind that a single measurement is just a snapshot moment and it would seem to be the stopping with drinking is helping and well if its causing problems or its too much obviously stopping with the drink is good. 

I wish you well and as for the heat problem that continues ? what did your doctor say?

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
I guess the first question is -- What does your doctor say about your liver function results?  What test was 714, btw?  There is no actual test called "liver function".  Typically there are a number of tests that can be done to look at liver function - ALT, AST, Bilirubin, Alk Phos. 

There are a number of things that can cause transient increase in one or more liver enzymes, which is why I have asked the question on what the doc says.  Sounds like Hepatitis has been ruled out.  If you have been a serious drinker -- that can take its toll on the liver -- also heavy use of tylenol (you would be shocked at how many different over the counter things have acetaminophen in them.

Bottomline, it sounds like you have had more than one round of blood work with high liver enzymes, so you have to work with your doctor to see what is going on here.   Certainly no need to panic at this point -- if he thought it was something really serious, he'd have told you.

Also -- on a different note, if your meds are really causing you issues with your job, etc - talk to your doctor about switching.  There is no need to "suffer" with a med that doesn't fit your needs, when there are many options out there.  Personally, I've been taking Atripla for almost 12 years and have not had any issues, but I know many people who have and were so pleased once they switched.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Mike

Offline onajourney

thanks for both your answers,,,just to clarify i am not really a heavy drinker, i actually barely drink but there were occasions i had some beers and the meds with them :) i think i need to observe and see when the heating happens and with what food i can feel it most, and yes it still happens but not always , Mike you that have been taking Atripla for 12 years how is your regimen, i will try to follow it maybe it works for me to....
my ALT was 712 gone down to 412, bilirubin was normal alk phos 256  and bone and kidney tests normal.

thanks again

have a good day.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
thanks for both your answers,,,just to clarify i am not really a heavy drinker, i actually barely drink but there were occasions i had some beers and the meds with them :) i think i need to observe and see when the heating happens and with what food i can feel it most, and yes it still happens but not always , Mike you that have been taking Atripla for 12 years how is your regimen, i will try to follow it maybe it works for me to....
my ALT was 712 gone down to 412, bilirubin was normal alk phos 256  and bone and kidney tests normal.

thanks again

have a good day.

To minimize any side effects from Atripla, you should take it on an empty stomach - no food for a couple of hours before or after taking it.  If I eat around the time of taking my pill, I do get some heat sensation -- but mainly, I get a drunk feeling.  I always take my Atripla with a couple hours of going to bed, so these don't bother me all that much really.  If they DID bother me, I would ask to switch.

BTW -- while high, your ALT isn't too bad.  When I had Hepatitis back in 2004, my ALT jumped to 1645, my Alk Phos to 685 and my Bili was 9.8.  Not saying that you shouldn't be talking to your doctor, but at this point, I don't see a need to by "really worried" about liver failure.

Mike

Offline newbie2016

After 6 weeks on starting my hiv meds, I had liver failure, I have no idea of numbers i am ignorant to that but i was pretty sick
I was changed to another med and responded well
the doctor had testing to see compatibility to meds, incase it happend again
inform your doctor of you have not already

Offline Almost2late

Hi Newbie,
Sorry to hear of your liver problem, that really is scary but glad they turned it around.. I had to get off Atripla also but for very different reasons.. thankfully there's plenty of options out there.. So which meds did your doctor put you on? Hope it goes well for you from this point forward..
Take care :)

Offline onajourney

Hey guys. Thanks for the answers.   I have switched to a new medication now.  Been three days on triumeq,,, haven't felt any side effects yet.  Which I am really glad with,,, I usually take it in the morning. With some fruits.  But it can be taken either way.   I just hope after six months on Atripla my body still full of the meds and that's why I haven't had any side eff from triumeq.   Has anyone gone through the same ?   

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Triumeq

Settling in adjustment period maybe and perhaps some vivid dreams, but you should not be expecting any side effects.

Have you re-done the liver test before starting Triumeq? When is your next follow-up?

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline onajourney

He Jim,,
I should be doing my test for triumeq in a month time hopefully,,, but before starting triumeq I did a liver function these and came back lower 295 and akl photo also went down a bit 231.   So I guess something happened that led my liver function to raise ( I remember around the time it happen I was with some
Friends and I took some G ,, tried to find in the internet if any relashion but haven't seen anything ) maybe it was the cause.   
Would you think so ?
Anyway I am
Happy I switched meds.  Atripla was too strong.  This seems to be easier on my body

Regards

On a journey. 

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
So good it's down, hopefully you can keep it in range.

Does sound like between your posts cutting the drinks / recreational drugs  reduced the problem or results a lot. Keep an eye on it.

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.