Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2021, 08:17:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 760833
  • Total Topics: 64561
  • Online Today: 312
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 242
Total: 242

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: World AIDS Day 2020  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
World AIDS Day 2020
« on: December 01, 2020, 01:12:56 am »
Wishing you all a good World AIDS Day 2020.

Is anyone doing anything this year for World AIDS Day? I'm not going to be doing anything due to covid and other issues, I did enjoy looking at the pictures HIV Ireland posted though.

https://twitter.com/HIVIreland/status/1333516292964446208
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: World AIDS Day 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 07:52:58 am »
I've been a bit curmudgeonly about WAD this year.

In years past, I often produced the WAD event my clinic held at the local college. When I moved back to the area just over a decade ago, at first I was aghast that this agency was producing an event that wasn't a memorial but an educational event. My complaints got me the opportunity to produce the event and we made it into an educational event with a memorial component.

Of course this year is totally whacked out and these kind of public events just aren't happening. (Thankfully the people who have dealt with or survived one pandemic are smart enough to take the right precautions during another pandemic.) However, I'm noticing that everyone's comments or zoom events are all about PrEP, TasP, "Ending the Epidemic", etc. That's all well and good but where's the memorial component? Just because the "AIDS epidemic" (the years when everyone was dying) is in the past doesn't mean we should forget those who have passed away or not acknowledge that people are still dying.

But I guess in a country (America) that has forsaken the original meaning of our Memorial Day, a day of remembrance about all those who served and died for our country, and instead turned it into the fun cook-out day celebrating the start of summer, is it any wonder that we've totally forgotten the meaning of World AIDS Day, a day of remembrance of those who have died from AIDS and those still living with HIV, and turned it into just another day to talk about HIV prevention. Of course, this is what happens when PLWH don't get involved and we leave these things to the social workers and health care providers with their totally different agenda of preventing HIV and not remembering those people who are no longer patients because of death.  :(

Today, WAD 2020, like every other Dec 1 for the last 32 years (that's when this Day of remembrance first started), I'll be thinking about my two late partners and all the friends I have lost to this epidemic.  :(

leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 11:33:34 am »
I'm noticing that everyone's comments or zoom events are all about PrEP, TasP, "Ending the Epidemic", etc. That's all well and good but where's the memorial component? Just because the "AIDS epidemic" (the years when everyone was dying) is in the past doesn't mean we should forget those who have passed away or not acknowledge that people are still dying.
I totally agree, the memorial aspect of it has been pretty mute.

However, I did see this very sad news  on DemocracyNow this morning on how the Covid-19 pandemic has made it access to HIV/AIDS treatment deadly.. "World AIDS Day Is Grim Reminder of an Ongoing Epidemic, with 700,000 Dead from HIV/AIDS in 2019"..
December 1 is World AIDS Day, and as the world waits on an effective vaccine for COVID-19, we look at the ongoing AIDS epidemic and how the coronavirus has threatened treatment for those living with HIV. Author and journalism professor Steven Thrasher says the coronavirus has amplified racial, class and other disparities, just as AIDS has done for decades, and that treatments must have an antiracist and anti-capitalist foundation in order to be successful. ”HIV/AIDS has continued to kill way too many people. Almost 700,000 people died last year,” says Thrasher. “The problem is not just the drugs. It’s the conditions around people’s lives that lead them to become affected by viruses.”
https://www.democracynow.org/2020/12/1/world_aids_day_coronavirus

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 05:29:42 pm »
I've written a reply about 12 times over the day and scraped it.

Sometimes as a moderator I have to bite my tongue, however, I am also just a guy living with HIV and so here we go, and ill live with the complaints and get Ptrk or Ian to deal with them.

@ Almost2late @ leatherman - Thank you for sharing, I don't want to distract from that. Love your WAD picture remembering, Randy & Jim. My condolences and hugs.

However, I'm noticing that everyone's comments or zoom events are all about PrEP, TasP, "Ending the Epidemic", etc. That's all well and good but where's the memorial component? Just because the "AIDS epidemic" (the years when everyone was dying) is in the past doesn't mean we should forget those who have passed away or not acknowledge that people are still dying.

"World AIDS Day Is Grim Reminder of an Ongoing Epidemic, with 700,000 Dead from HIV/AIDS in 2019"

Yes. World Aids Day to me is a time to remember those lost to HIV-related illnesses & AIDS and to reflect on the work left to do. BTW for years, it's warped my mind we ignore that AIDS-related deaths peaked in 2004.  Lack of access to treatment that was available invented treatment in the '90s and then don't treat people :o It should not have happened, a total disgrace.

Anyhow, on Monday I was at an HIV conference, on the call people were congratulating themselves that a study (ill find the link later) found 2/3 of people living with HIV would openly share their HIV status with their own medical care providers and it's a sign of how far we have come. Pat on the back and happy days, a footnote about room for improvement.

Well, pardon my french this is shit that in 2020 1/3 don't for whatever reason trust their own doctors who as suppose to be professionals. Why are we not f******g pissed off? What the hell is wrong with us as a community that we accept this level of S**t as great, the job is nearly done?

On the other hand, I do understand that pardon the phrase there are positive aspects and messages given the times we live in such as TaSP/U=U and that those with access to treatment and particularly when diagnosed early will be fine(ish), so I understand.

However, it ignores the issues that we continue to have far too high death rates, lack of access to treatment for all, asides from late diagnosis (Snowflake language for AIDS) seen across developed and non-developed regions   >:(

It pisses me off that the happy bunnies from the early treatment access and diagnosed U=U generation seem to be nearly content with the shambles of affairs.

https://www.unaids.org/en/resources/fact-sheet

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/ecdc-and-who-call-improved-hiv-testing-europe
The number of people living with undiagnosed HIV is increasing in the WHO European Region. According to data published today by ECDC and the WHO/Europe, more than 136 000 people were newly diagnosed in 2019 – roughly 20% of these were diagnosed in the EU/EAA and 80% in the eastern part of the European Region. Every second HIV diagnosis (53%) happens at a late stage of the infection, when the immune system has already started to fail. This is a sign that testing strategies in the Region are not working properly to diagnose HIV early.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:33:56 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 05:41:04 pm »
Of course, this is what happens when PLWH don't get involved and we leave these things to the social workers and health care providers with their totally different agenda of preventing HIV and not remembering those people who are no longer patients because of death.  :(

This and as a group, we have somehow become "content"... That's my view of things at least and the issue. Tunnel vision on U=U from those that are content and it seems more and more a f*7K those left behind.  >:(
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline PozChilean

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 06:36:10 pm »
Not a bleep of this year's WAD on any of our local TV stations here in Chile, even though we're one of the countries with the highest increase in new cases over the last few years in the Latin American region.
HIV 101 - Todo lo que necesitas saber:
HIV 101
Lee más sobre testeo aquí:
Testeo para HIV
Lee acerca del "tratamiento como prevención" (TasP) aquí:
HIV TasP
Puedes leer acerca de la prevención del VIH aquí:
Prevención del VIH
Lee sobre PEP y PrEP aquí:
PEP y PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 07:14:30 pm »
on tonight's news (always a gripe for me that no one hears about WAD until the damn thing is nearly over. Oops! our bad for reporting so late that if you didn't know about the events, they were already over) one of the local Charlotte NC channels interviewed a fellow PLWH (she works for a local clinic, and was involved as another consumer in the CLT Ryan White quality management program with me.) about how she is involved in a trial for the bimonthly treatment injection. Nothing about PrEP or U=U ;) but some talk about the bad old days vs the benefit of how easier treatment will help maintain adherence.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/possible-new-treatment-gives-hope-hiv-patients/XKZB2FCR4VAGDFA5GPNVKMGY2U/
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline fabio

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 12:16:25 am »
I did get some sweets for me and my brother (he's here because of covid and works at home). I hope all of you are doing well ❤
I also shared some links about hiv,sex safety to my uni classmates (via messenger).
It's awful that most people forget about all the things everyone went through. I noticed that not even big figures didn't make a tribute on the people who lost their lives in the country. Not even Google bothered to put some info....

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:26:21 am by fabio »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 01:38:48 pm »
on tonight's news (always a gripe for me that no one hears about WAD until the damn thing is nearly over. Oops! our bad for reporting so late that if you didn't know about the events, they were already over) one of the local Charlotte NC channels interviewed a fellow PLWH (she works for a local clinic, and was involved as another consumer in the CLT Ryan White quality management program with me.) about how she is involved in a trial for the bimonthly treatment injection. Nothing about PrEP or U=U ;) but some talk about the bad old days vs the benefit of how easier treatment will help maintain adherence.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/possible-new-treatment-gives-hope-hiv-patients/XKZB2FCR4VAGDFA5GPNVKMGY2U/

Well, at least that's something not related to prevention, it's a shame massive failings and gaps get smothered with happy messages. The balance just seems wrong. Don't get me wrong I'm normally all for prevention and happy good news stuff but we can't ignore issues and we should not let WAD be hijacked.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 01:39:59 pm »
I did get some sweets for me and my brother (he's here because of covid and works at home).

:) That's nice. I like that.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2021 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.