Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:36:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 445
Total: 445

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Need your feedback  (Read 12469 times)

Offline cbudden

Need your feedback
« on: May 23, 2010, 04:17:49 pm »
Greetings,

Just last weekend, I slept with a female. We were mostly rubbing against each other and making out, still with her underwear on and me naked. My penis was rubbing against the front part of her underwear as she was on top of me.

I am concerned that the rubbing may have opened up small tears on my penis. In any case, she took her underwear off, and we were both naked. We continued to rub against each other with my penis shaft and point (where the penis hole is) touching the outside of the vagina, but really never going in. All of this was happening without a condom yet.

After 15-20 minutes or so, I go on top of her.  I was only able to get up to the head (the glans - not too sure if I used the right term here. please refer to this illustration: http://cdn-www.answerbag.com/images/answers/145463/428097/TPenisAnatomy.jpg) of my penis inside her vagina and left it there for a good 10-15 seconds or so. But never really moving the penis any further inside. Remember and bare in mind that the this part of the penis was only in for a few seconds without any consequent thrusting. After which, I decide to pull my penis out entirely and put a condom on and had intercourse with her. Could there have been any kind of HIV risk here?

What if the insertion was a bit more that the head of the penis, but not longer than half-way the length of the penis? Meaning up to half the shaft of the penis. Any risk here?

Here are my other concerns:
- Making out with our tongues in our mouths
- She also performed oral sex, without a condom on my penis
- Could the rubbing on each other have caused small tears enough to have been infected at any point?

Additionally, lets make a big assumption that the penis was inserted fully into the vagina with 2-4 thrusts before pulling out and placing a condom. Is there any risk of HIV transmission? I guess what I am asking is, does the penis have to be entirely inside the vagina to contract any HIV risk? (I'm just asking this part for my personal education).

I've been thinking about this the last few days and it has taken its toll, mentally. Am I worrying too much here? Should I take a test? If so, should I wait 4 weeks before testing? Or can I go ahead with an HIV test even by tomorrow?

Looking forward to your responses.
CB
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:21:03 pm by cbudden »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Need your feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 04:42:23 pm »
CB, rubbing or frottage is not a risk. The very brief insertion of your penis into her vagina was technically a risk, albeit a very low one.

The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.

Should you get tested? As I said, technically you had a very low risk for dipping your penis into her briefly without wearing a condom. Mainly for your own peace of mind I would suggest that you get tested at 13 weeks. I think you will get a negative result but then you will have removed any doubts about your status.

In the future you can safely play around prior to intercourse with whatever kind of touchiing and rubbing you want to. But if you are going to put your penis in then make sure you are wearing a condom. Period. Then you won't have to worry and wonder again.

I expect you will come out of this incident ok.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline cbudden

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:17:09 pm »
How low of a risk? To make things more complicated and I know this is silly to mention. But a lady that I care about is coming to visit me from out of town next month, 3rd week or so. Should I avoid any kind of sexual contact with her till then?

Can't I do a test in the next week or so? I had sexual contact with the other girl on Friday.

Never again will I act on lust alone and will be wise with wearing protection next time

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 05:51:27 pm »
You'll need to use condoms.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 07:56:23 pm »
You can participate in sexual activity but if you have intercourse you need to be wearing a condom.

Andy Velez

Offline cbudden

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 11:20:54 am »
Can I go on a checkup on the second week? Or will this be too soon?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:25:16 am »
The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a risk.

If you test negative at 6 weeks, especially with your having had such a low risk, the strong likelihood is that you will again test negative at 13 weeks.
Andy Velez

Offline cbudden

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 01:22:18 pm »
Thanks. Even through this is a low risk. I'd still like to test. For the sake of clearing up my mind of being worried.

Just for curiosity. Are there any symptoms that I can look out for in the first week? And what about on the second week? I am currently stressed about this
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:24:15 pm by cbudden »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 02:25:25 pm »
CB, your risk was low level but it was a risk. So it's not a matter of "I'd still 'like' to test." You should test.  I do expect you to test negative at the end of the day.

You should NOT be looking out for symptoms. Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the appropriate time will give you that answer. Everything else is guesswork and HIV is not something to guess about.
Andy Velez

Offline cbudden

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 11:00:15 pm »
Hi Andy. It's the second week, since the 24th of May, or so. Do you think enough time has passed for a test or should I wait until the 4th or 6th week?

I understand that you mentioned seroconvertion is around 4-6 weeks, but this mental burden is quite heavy and creating a lot of stress in my everyday life...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:03:30 pm by cbudden »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 11:12:18 pm »
A test two or so weeks out is not going to tell you anything useful. If you must test prior to the 13 week mark, then you should wait until week 6.

A negative result at week 6 is strongly preditive of a negative result at week 13.

I know you're finding this stressful but you simply have to wait the required period of time before you can get a reliable test result.

I agree with Andy that your risk is very low. I would expect you to test negative at 13 weeks.

MtD

Offline cbudden

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 11:21:41 pm »
Some have mentioned that it would be ok to take a test on the 4th week or so.. Is this wise? Is there a specific test I should take? Or is it just a matter of walking in a hospital and asking for an HIV/STD test?

Sometimes, I would feel tired or numb. I hope this is just the stress that is weighing me down. I have checked for thrush on tongue and have NOT seen any evidence of it. Am I overly concerned with looking out for symptoms? Should I look out for any, in the meantime?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 11:29:15 pm »
Some have mentioned that it would be ok to take a test on the 4th week or so.. Is this wise? Is there a specific test I should take? Or is it just a matter of walking in a hospital and asking for an HIV/STD test?

Sometimes, I would feel tired or numb. I hope this is just the stress that is weighing me down. I have checked for thrush on tongue and have NOT seen any evidence of it. Am I overly concerned with looking out for symptoms? Should I look out for any, in the meantime?

Some? Who are these people? We have told you that you need to test for HIV at 13 weeks from the date of the incident as per the HIV testing guidelines.

Since most people who have been infected seroconvert around 4-6 weeks from the date of the risk incident, a negative result at 6 weeks indicates a negative test result at 13 weeks is more than likely.

Nevertheless, a negative test result received prior to the 13 week mark cannot be considered conclusive.

Those are the facts. When you actually decide to test is a matter for you.

The type of HIV test you should have is a standard ELISA test aka an HIV antibody test. Your doctor or clinic will arrange that for you. All you need to do is ask to be tested for HIV.

As for symptoms, they are notoriously unreliable indicators of HIV status and for this reason we will not discuss them with people in your situation.

You risk isn't just low, it's extremely low. You really have blown this out of all reasonable proportion.

MtD

Offline cbudden

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 11:08:36 pm »
Thanks for getting back.

On another note. I may just be overreacting / over paranoid with my next question. Together with the stress, fatigue thats been happening over the last week. I've also noticed, the inside fold of my arms (part which is opposite the elbows) to be itchy at certain times. Is this some kind of lymph node reaction? Or in any case, related to anything? Perhaps someone has come across a similar experience?

Eye lids feel a bit heavy too. Am thinking this is just the anxiety.

I know theres no harm asking a few questions to clarify my concern. I hope this isn't a problem.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 11:20:38 pm »
Has nothing to do with HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 08:08:30 am »
Right now you seem to be busily misinterpreting everything through the I THINK I HAVE HIV mindset. All to no good purpose or with any validity in HIV science of course.

We've already evaluated your situation. You have a while to wait to get tested. In the meantime if you have troublesome symptoms that is something to discuss with your doctor. Nothing you are reporting is in any way suggestive of HIV. You need to make a real effort to focus on other aspects of your life. And don't bother saying  you're too worried to do that. That response won't fly here.

Ultmately I expect you to come out of this very low risk situation ok.
Andy Velez

Offline cbudden

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 04:58:08 pm »
Hello all.

I had my blood test a a few days after the 6th week. "Incident" occurred a few days before May 26. Had a blood test few days before the 7th of July.

It took around 3-4 business working days to get the result. Result came back as "non reactive". I personally look at this as a life changing event. I know now what I should be focusing on in life.

Since the result came back as "non reactive". Is it a "must" that I have a second test on the 12-14th week?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:17:27 pm by cbudden »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 05:10:22 pm »
Hello all.

I had my blood test a a few days after the 6th week. "Incident" occurred a few days before May 26. Had a blood test few days before the 7th of July.

It took around 3-4 business working days to get the result. Result came back as "non reactive". I personally look at this as a life changing event. I know now what I should be focusing on in life.

Since the result came back as "non reactive". Is it a "must" that I have a second test on the 12-14th week?

According to the accepted HIV testing standards you should test again in week 13 to confirm that your 6 week negative result is reliable, and that's the official advice I have to give you.

I don't expect your 6 week result to change and nor should you.

So it's up to you. Your original risk was low and a 6 week negative result is strongly predictive of a negative result at week 13.

MtD

Offline cbudden

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 05:17:00 pm »
Hi Matty,

The blood test I took was called: Chemiluminescent Microparticle Immunoassay Test for HIV Ag/Ab. Was this a good enough test?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 05:18:34 pm »
Hi Matty,

The blood test I took was called: Chemiluminescent Microparticle Immunoassay Test for HIV Ag/Ab. Was this a good enough test?

Yes. It's an approved and highly accurate test.

MtD

Offline cbudden

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 05:43:00 pm »
Just reading around. I came across a link at: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=33119.0
which indicates another post that talks about late / delayed sero-conversion.

Should I be concerned about having to be tested again even after the 12-14th week?

Is this late / delayed sero-conversion possible? Or should I move on from being worried about this?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 05:49:20 pm »
Just reading around. I came across a link at: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=33119.0
which indicates another post that talks about late / delayed sero-conversion.

Should I be concerned about having to be tested again even after the 12-14th week?

Is this late / delayed sero-conversion possible? Or should I move on from being worried about this?

Budden,

Delayed seroconversion is an extremely rare thing which happens to people in very particular circumstances.

It can affect people taking immunosuppressive medications (such as organ transplant and some cancer patients) and long term (20+ years) injecting drug users. If you were at risk of a delayed seroconversion, you'd know about it.

You are not at risk of a delayed seroconversion. I've explained the deal about your test results to you already.

Just a couple of posts up you said:

I personally look at this as a life changing event. I know now what I should be focusing on in life.

Well go and focus. Step away from the computer and get on with your life. If you do test in week 13 by all means come back and tell us the result.

MtD

Offline cbudden

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 05:55:56 pm »
Thanks Matty. Your kind words mean a lot. I am very much appreciated with your effort in getting back with an appropriate response and information that you have provided so far

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.