Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:29:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773286
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 363
Total: 365

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Heart broken Dad with poss Hiv  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Dave J

Heart broken Dad with poss Hiv
« on: January 25, 2010, 06:33:56 pm »
Hi Im a British male and New to this forum!
I have spent a lot of time like others i suspect looking at this forum searching the internet for answers, I know i can't get the answers here but maybe support and sound advice...
My story is basically im a 30 year old male who has recently went to thailand on a back packing holiday I'm not a sex tourist in any way, I went with a friend for a month...but before we hit the islands we spent a few days in Bangkok!! which was a mistake...We met a group of guys similiar in age and we all went out to experience the nightlife, well on the second night After a lot of beer i went with a local "bar girl" everyone else was doin the same and i guess i was caught in peer pressure, I KNOW THIS IS WRONG....any way I woke up in the morning feeling very guilty but more so terrified is I'd discovered I'd not used any protection....totally stupid I know I was very drunk ...I didnt know about the HIV /Aids epidemic in thailand i discovered about that days after....

When I returned home from my trip I was tested straight away after 4 weeks and hadnt really had too many symptoms apart from Ring worm on my leg never had this before an thought it strange so I had the test and was extremely happy to see it tested negative.....However I am now nearing the 2 and a half month mark and I have had a number of Symptoms, 1st I started to get a bumpy rash around my body and was itchy this subsided and then came more serious symptoms of head ache's , swollen and sore glands on my neck which ive never had before and Now ive got strange sore throat which came from nowhere and seems to be lower down and hurts when swallow, Rash has got worse across my shoulders arms and chest also dark sore under my eye.......At first I was thinking it  was psychosamatic  but not now too many strange symptoms
I'm getting my blood test this week which i think will be conclusive as it will be near the 3 month mark .....I'm a weekend Dad and I feel so sorry for my daughter and my family cos now im going to have to put them all through this when im diagnosed , the illness , not knowing when im going to die and the social stigma , I feel for anyone who has this disease... and think i'm going to need a lot of new freinds cos I cant see people where I live accepting it . maybe I'll have to move away, I dont even now if I can tell my parents there in there 60's and it could have an effect on there health hearing news like this.......All this heartache for one stupid moment of madness!! i feel a fool and suicidal....

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Heart broken Dad with poss Hiv
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 06:43:52 pm »
You're totally jumping ahead of yourself in presuming that you are going to test positive. The fact is that in all likelihood you will test negative.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It is significantly harder to accomplish from female to male than the other way round. You had a single exposure. You have have tested negative at 4 weeks, which is a good sign as the average time to seroconversion is 22 days.

None of your symptoms are in anyway HIV-specific. Actually rash associated with ARS is NOT itchy whereas the one you have had is itchy. Also the symptoms of ARS all come on at once and not here and there.

So overall despite your anxiety I would the odds are very good that at the end of the day you will test negative. You can test at 6 weeks. A negative at 6 weeks is very unlikely to change to positive when you do a final test at 13 weeks. Meanwhile you ought to be discussing your symptoms with your doctor.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Dave J

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:00:24 pm »
Cheers Andy I've read a lot of your advice on here and your a good man and I totally respect what you do to take your time out to help people... The symptoms i have all at the same time at the moment Andy which is sore throat ,headaches, swollen glands and Rashes as well as some pain in the liver area...
I've read that the chance of infection woman to man is about 2000-1 but one thing which wont have gone in my favour was there was a pink showing on the bed covers as if she was starting to menstruate. and we I'm pretty sure we had sex more than once...I'm going for blood tests on wednesday so not long too wait its just symptoms are getting worse maybe down to stress also. either way I'll let you know my results hopefully I'll be writing back good results and not bad.....I just feel so disapointed with myself and feel like ive let everyone down including myself....I dote on my daughter and family ... but if my suspicions are correct i maybe needing more advice on this site... :'(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:00:28 pm »
Fortunately feelings are not facts. And the facts of your situation lead me to expect a negative test result.

Not so incidentally, ARS symptoms do not go on and on for extended periods of time. They come on together and last usually a week to  two and then they are gone. Your fears notwithstanding and throwing in that she may have been menstruating, I still don't see it as likely for you to get other than a negative result.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Dave J

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 06:05:39 pm »
Got another negative result today Andy , so I'm really happy over that and a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders looks like you were right I need to be more glass half full rather than empty, and be optomistic until I get the news....I've got this rash still coming up though its wierd comes up all blotchy on my arms and chest and get funny sensations off it like pins and needles then 30 mins later its gone ??, Maybe its caused by stress or blood pressure so going to see my local doctor to get to the bottom of it ...ive prob aged 10 years in the last 3 months lol....I'm going to follow up with another test after 6 months maybe just to be on the safe side as ive seen storys off some of your positive members on here who have tested negative twice then a month later been positive but i'm going to cease the worrying cos its doing me no good at all.... take care and cheers for writing to me ....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 06:26:25 pm »
Six months testing is outdated and has been since 2004. You are conclusively negative.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 06:46:48 pm »
Testing out to 6 months for you is totally uncalled for. The only times when that is indicated is if organ transplant is involved or treatment for an illness like cancer or longterm intravenous drug use.

I have no reason to believe any of those apply to you. You need to stop with the unwarranted drama and  get with the reality that you have reliably tested negative for HIV. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline Dave J

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 07:10:28 pm »
happy days then and once again thanks!!  keep up the good work! :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 08:02:25 pm »
You're welcome.

Cheers!
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.