Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:01:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 647
Total: 649

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Visiting a family member With HIV  (Read 5762 times)

Offline concerned2323

Visiting a family member With HIV
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »
We are going on vacation soon and are going to visit family for a few nights.I didn't even think about it until now, but one of them has HIV. I have done research about HIV and how it is spread. There seems to be some evidence showing small amounts of the virus is in saliva.

The reason I am concerned is that I have a little one with a weaker immune system. I want my child to have a relationship with the great uncles, but I don't want to put him at risk of contracting HIV.

Are there ways to kill the HIV virus on surfaces like bath tubs where my little one will be bathing?  What if he accidentally has a small cut and doesn't realize it when preparing food?

I don't want to make him feel bad or overreact. I am not writing this to be mean/cruel in any way. I am just trying to get more facts and information so I can make an informed decision like I would for anything.

Offline le_liseur

Re: Visiting a family member With HIV
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:11:29 pm »
This is a (terribly bad) joke, right?

Also, I do believe you're posting in the wrong section of this forum, as I highly doubt you're HIV+ ...

Edited to add this : HIV transmission doesn't work the way you 'seem' to think it does, regardless of age, weak immune system, and so on. Your kid has NO risk of being infected, nor have you or anyone else, if they visit family members who happens to have HIV.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:15:20 pm by le_liseur »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 01:21:15 pm »
You need not worry about HIV being transmitted unless you are having unprotected anal or vaginal sex or sharing IV drug rigs right after your relatives or friends . 

HIV is a fragile hard to transmit virus and you need not worry about kissing or eating or using the bathroom after a HIV positive person . No one has ever been infected with HIV in the manner you are concerned with and it will not happen to you or your family no matter the condition of your immune system . 

You have an opportunity to learn and teach your children that its ok to be around a person with HIV without fear . There is NOTHING you cant do with HIV positive
person / friend  that you cant do with one who is not living with HIV .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline concerned2323

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:28:03 pm »
You need not worry about HIV being transmitted unless you are having unprotected anal or vaginal sex or sharing IV drug rigs right after your relatives or friends . 

HIV is a fragile hard to transmit virus and you need not worry about kissing or eating or using the bathroom after a HIV positive person . No one has ever been infected with HIV in the manner you are concerned with and it will not happen to you or your family no matter the condition of your immune system . 

You have an opportunity to learn and teach your children that its ok to be around a person with HIV without fear . There is NOTHING you cant do with HIV positive
person / friend  that you cant do with one who is not living with HIV .

Thank you :) That is what I thought, but, to be honest, I didn't know a whole lot about HIV.  I look forward to spending time with them!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 01:43:33 pm »
Thank you :) That is what I thought, but, to be honest, I didn't know a whole lot about HIV.  I look forward to spending time with them!

Enjoy your visit ! . Please know that if you or your family were in even the slightest risk we would not hesitate to tell you so you could take measures to protect yourself .

You absolutely have nothing to worry about or fear . I am not suggesting its normal to kiss relatives on the mouth or give them a bite of my hamburger but it would be OK to do so . You will not get HIV from a person unless you have unprotected anal or vaginal sex or share IV drug rigs ... it really is that simple .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:05:37 am »
And its fine to ask , enjoy the visit.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 11:56:47 am »
Hi concerned,

I wanted to apologize for the rudeness of my tone in my answer to your question. Rereading your post later on made me understand you really didn't mean any bad, and my reaction was not appropriate. I hope you had a good time at your family reunion! :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.