Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:31:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 475
Total: 477

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Village Voice Queer Issue  (Read 3268 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Village Voice Queer Issue
« on: June 24, 2010, 04:40:59 pm »
Been reading the Village Voice Queer Issue.

First - why do I have to be such a stickler for details?  

There is a moving article called:
"AIDS Killed My Partner—But It Was His Decision To Die"
http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-06-22/news/aids-killed-my-partner-151-but-it-was-his-decision-to-die/

Its a testimony about a man who helped his partner through 9 years of grueling illness. Its mostly the theme of the right to assisted suicide.

His partner seroconverted in "late 1992".

"From the beginning, he was what is known as a “rapid progressor.” He didn’t respond to the new drug cocktails, AZT, nutritional supplements, or anything else."

Then the moving and horrible story of their experience.  The partner died in 2001.

I read the article with vested interest, having experienced a similar but much more rapid experience in the late 1980's, when there were not great drugs available and my friend rapidly declined and then committed suicide, within less than a year of diagnosis (diagnosed a the AIDS stage, however).

But reading this article I was wondering why tritherapy couldn't help this man in the late 90's?

So I wrote a comment:

"Its a moving article. However, missing are more precise dates and treatment information that would tell the story in the context of the times. Tom seroconverted in 1992 and died in 2001. 1995/1996 marks the development of HAART. No mention of HAART in this article, if Tom was on it, or not, and why or why not. Saying he didn't respond to the "drug cocktails" and with no dates. Surely by the late 90's there were tritherapies available to help. This comment is just a reminder that in 2010 a reader should not take Tom's story and apply it to general experience of living with HIV in recent years."

The author graciously responded:

"Thanks for the comments. To "meech": In the space allotted for the article, I couldn't go into much detail about Tom's drug regimen. I mentioned in passing that none of the anti-retroviral "cocktails" then coming onto market were working with him. You're certainly right about one thing: If he had seroconverted only a few years later, he probably would be alive today. That said, it's also worth remembering that people are still dying of AIDS, gay and straight, in America and (especially) abroad."

I guess I am overly invested in the value of tritherapy.  I know some people who were fading in the 90's and arrived at tritherapy in pretty bad condition.  And they made it and are alive today.   I was just figuring, this guy had a good 5 years in which HAART was around, be that as it may first generation not so great HAART.

I guess I have to make do with its none of my business, but I wonder about these things.  I thought it was  kind of sensational headline ""AIDS Killed My Partner—But It Was His Decision To Die" for 2010, and a bit cavalier to just say "He didn’t respond to the new drug cocktails, AZT, nutritional supplements, or anything else."

It reminds me of that AIDS in Washington DC documentary we discussed. Where in the preview, the ladies are watching a poor wasted soul being carried away to die of AIDS (nowadays) and say "the drugs just werent working for him".

And on a fun note,

The boys from Jersey Shore are on the cover.  The Voice thought they were playing a clever trick on them, because they didn't tell them the photo shoot was for the Queer Issue.  They thought they would provoke them into some vulgar remarks.

Ha ha ha, jokes on them. They responded so far with very cool, "who gives a shit what issue it is" and "we love our gay fans" and "we look great in the photo, that's all that matters!"  

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/archives/2010/06/jersey_shore_re.php

and slide show here:

http://www.villagevoice.com/slideshow/the-boys-of-mtvs-jersey-shore-30166319/

Finally there's a story on Guidos on the downlow.  Pretty interesting.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:44:32 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

Re: Village Voice Queer Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 04:54:27 pm »
Ah OK, i think I found the cover to post:

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 04:54:56 pm »
He probably didn't respond to HAART because by that time he'd developed resistance to NRTI and NNRTI class meds because of mono and/or dual therapy use.  This has been discussed plenty here.  HAART then obviously helped him hang on until 2001 but no longer.  I was almost in that same boat myself.

Not saying that is what happened, but that's what happened to plenty of people.  1996 was only magical if you began treatment that year as a naive patient.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 04:59:04 pm »
Not saying that is what happened, but that's what happened to plenty of people.  1996 was only magical if you began treatment that year as a naive patient.

Indeedy.

MtD

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 05:07:43 pm »
Ah Ok, thanks for that clarification cause it was really bewildering me!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 05:16:42 pm »
I'll also add, and this happened to me, that even after HAART arrived, many people that went on the first version of saquinavir developed PI resistance issues.  That first version was badly absorbed so there was never enough of it in your bloodstream, and caused the drug maker to release another version the next year (Fortovase) that was boosted with Norvir, which is also why you see PIs boosted now.

So I was screwed with all PIs until Prezista came out.  The only reason that I didn't croak like others did is because for some reason PI's after that for me "half worked" meaning it would get my viral load to ~25-40,000 and stay stable there, never exploding to larger numbers, and that stable zone allowed my cd4s to increase and not decrease. At one time they even put me on a regimen that had both Kaletra and saquinvair in it, so with the Norvir booster that was 3 PI's.  Amazingly my lipid panel was only slightly elevated.

But I'm not a great example because from what I've read only a small number of people were like that, most had a viral load that kept shooting up and forcing their cd4s ever downward.  In a nutshell that's why it took 18 years (from est. infection year until I reached viral suppression) to get my treatment optimal.  I've now been undetectable for exactly four years, almost to the month -- celebrate with me, won't you (but imagine what that did to my body)?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:21:37 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 05:31:47 pm »
I see where I have been quite mistaken.  See I thought early tritherapy usually worked, or "half-worked" for anyone with resistance.  Rather than the "half-work" being the exception, as in your case, I thought it was kind of the rule.  :-[

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 05:33:57 pm »
 In a nutshell that's why it took 18 years (from est. infection year until I reached viral suppression) to get my treatment optimal.  I've now been undetectable for exactly four years, almost to the month -- celebrate with me, won't you (but imagine what that did to my body)?
Amazing tenacity.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 10:03:08 pm »
Can you say clueless? I thought you could.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jody

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 10:28:20 pm »
Philly, mecch, others...thanks for your post about treatments, I started in late 1995 with AZT and 3TC and when I added the diffficult to take, but very powerful Crixivan in 1996 I gained nearky 40 pounds, went to the gym and was in the best shape of my life by 1998.  Then some subsequent problems with Videx, Zerit and Viracept but my current regimen of Prezista, Norvir and Truvada is pretty good.

But dear Miss Philly, you still didn't say what you thought of the Jersey Shore boys this time around in the Village Voice. :)  The article included talk of the down low sex in Asbury Park and Seaside.  Hmmmm what goes down in summertime, when the weather is hot ya know, donch ya?

Jody ;)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.