Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:43:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 650
Total: 652

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: events & accidents...  (Read 3091 times)

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
events & accidents...
« on: October 23, 2006, 04:01:13 pm »
Friday, I went to see mr top neurology man. You may remember, I’ve been a bit poorly recently - viral meningitis, amongst others. Since then, I’ve been experiencing a rather bizarre/annoying collection of intermittent neuro symptoms, like, er, dropping things, balance & coordination issues, recall difficulties…general gimpyness, as my friend tim so nicely put it.

So anyway, Friday, neuro-man & his team ran all sorts of tests, some more scans , and made a lot of important sounding hmm noises.  Very vaguely announced that I had probably experienced "some sort of event". More hmm-ing followed. I discussed the appalling state of the UK music charts with a nice SHO. I was given an appt for Monday (today). I went home, somewhat bemused, and ate biscuits.

I returned, today, as instructed. Mr top neuro man was clearly attempting to break the record for how many medics could fit into a consulting room. Always funny, the way my hiv lot become suddenly defensive, protective even, when dealing with other teams - everyone sort of puffs up, starts using unnecessarily large words.

The verdict : the "event" was actually a small-ish cerebrovascular "accident" of the hemorrhagic variety (in English, a stroke) - probably caused by the meningitis, and the subsequent rise in intracranial pressure. My nose-diving platelet levels prob didn't help, either.
There then followed a very bizarre, party political conference-type discussion amongst the various medics present, covering subjects such as the possibility of secondary cns vasculitis, my bladder issues, and where most of 2003’s notes may have disappeared to.

Somewhere in the middle, I sat snuggled into nice blue jumper, humming "The Mighty Quinn". By the time I got to "…all the pigeons gonna run to him", I had reached a sufficient volume to interrupt proceedings.

[neuro man, quietly, to hiv dr - "er, what is she doing..?" hiv dr, smiling  - "oh, you get used to it…"]

Having re-focused, we then moved on to what could be done. This was a fairly brief convo, cos, er, the answer is :  not much, apart from monitoring, some more investigations, steroids etc, & some physio if I want it.
I am not to worry, apparently. Hopefully, most things will resolve themselves completely - in the meantime, I just need to be a bit careful with the best china ..

Kate

Songs of the day : mexico, j.taylor / atlantic city, bruce springsteen (good for brain cells, I reckon)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: events & accidents...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 04:17:33 pm »
How many bow ties?  :) - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Teresa

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 06:01:31 pm »
Kate,

So glad they figured out what happened. I'm sure they are right and you will be better in no time.
You hang in there. You have really been having a rough time of it lately. Sending you lots of positive thoughts and prayers.

Big Hugs
Teresa
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 06:03:02 pm by Teresa »
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 06:20:56 pm »
Hello Kate,

WOW! The really called out the medical squad on this one. I am happy to hear that they have found out the problem. You take care of yourself and take things easy. You are in my thoughts and my prayers.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 06:31:17 pm »
Been away from the forums for a few days and missed this one.  Hope your feeling better Kate you certainly sound back on top form reading this post anyway!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 06:45:42 pm »
thank you everyone.

am ok, chris, yes - just a bit clumsier than usual etc. More irritating/embarassing than anything else!

kate

(and yes, there is a direct correlation between number of bow ties present, and the amount of, er, rubbish being talked  :) )

Offline Cliff

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 01:04:26 pm »
Hi Kate,

Somewhere between employment issues and the regularly-scheduled dust up in the forum, I missed this one.  Stroke (um, cerebrovascular accident) seems kinda serious.  I hope it was just a one-time deal with no lasting effects.  Well stay on top of it....as I'm sure your team of bow-ties will.

For some stimulation, you could always go to the National Gallery and see Valesquez on exhibit.  I love his work (well not his portraits)...especially the contrast in lighting that he uses.

Cliff
P.S.- Who is on top of the charts?  And please don't say Scissor Sisters.  Whenever I hear I don't feel like dancing.  I don't feel like dancing.  But I do feel like throwing up.  A little.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 01:07:17 pm by Cliff »

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 01:42:30 pm »
thanks cliff.

charts, top 10 is an odd combo of scissor sisters, meatloaf, p diddy and some other people. Ag. This is music, now  :-\

velasquez, not normally my cup of tea - although the light and dark, he was a master. I'm more a tate modern sort of girl - but yes, a gallery trip of some sort is a must, soon.

today i went to the park with a friend. did a small amount of walking, sat on a bench, had some restorative tea & cake. Think it's just a question of building up strength, slowly.  Which requires patience - something i tend to lack when dealing with my own health...

kate

Offline Christine

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 01:54:54 pm »
Hi Kate,
I am sorry you had to go though all this. Tea and cake is always a good thing. Sending you good thoughts and prayers.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.