Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:34:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 791
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 758
Total: 758

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thank you to those stigma warriors  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Almost2late

Thank you to those stigma warriors
« on: May 21, 2015, 04:22:41 pm »
Been noticing as of lately people coming out against the stigma like that German magazine written in HIV+ blood to that HIV+ guy and his HIV- family.. I am humbled by their courage and also the support and understanding of many people HIV-..

And then this pastor who came out to her congregation..
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/may/21/hiv-positive-vicar-overwhelmed-by-response-to-video

also this PSA thats been airing here in Broward...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK5dzPjtdgI

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Thank you to those stigma warriors
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 04:41:20 pm »
Hey Almost,

Thank you for the links.  The pastor was simply amazing and the Broward PSA shows great progress.  Social media has created so many new avenues, where we can share the reality of being HIV positive. 

In 1991, I agreed to do a story for the Detroit Free Press on what life was like being poz.  I knew that putting my face to the disease was a risk, not only to me, but my daughter, ex-wife, family and friends.  I also knew that if I didn't do it, possibly no one else would, as the paper had asked many to be the subject of the story.

So there I was, a half-page picture of my head, next to all my pill bottles, on the front of the Living Section of the Detroit Free Press.  My doubt began immediately upon publication.  Comments came back to me, through various sources, both bad, but mostly good.  Then I was out cutting my grass one day, and my next door neighbor came over to me.  She stood there for a minute, and said she had read about me in the paper.  She took a step, hesitated and grabbed me and gave me one of the best hugs I have ever had.

It was at that moment, that I knew that knowledge is indeed power.  The more we know, the less we fear.

Joe

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:36:22 pm »
Thanks for sharing that Joe.. It really touched me, thank you.. would love to read that article..

I think bringing the stigma subject to social media helps not just those who are hiv- but also people like me who are having trouble accepting ourselves..

Just like to share this one more if I may, it's not super new but it was new to me and was emotionally comforting to me, don't know if I'm making sense here..

http://www.wemakethechange.com/faces/

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 01:49:41 pm »
Stigma warriors RULE! They are an essential  part of how we will ultimately end the epidemic.

ROCK ON!
Andy Velez

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 10:27:20 pm »
They do rock!

POZ featured the Brazilian "WATCH: Reactions to Posters Containing Drops of HIV-Positive Blood" video earlier today.. WOW! :'( :) :'( :)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_kKW6PuFag

Need these posters all over the world.. I find this very effective at getting people to think and test and not fear.

Offline pozitiveandblessed978

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 08:25:24 am »
We are one voice but together we can make a difference! Living and moving forward.. ;)

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 11:03:54 pm »
"All too often, the way the media portrays HIV today stigmatizes those who are living with the virus. Currently, the popular characterization of people with HIV we see, in news media especially, is as potential spreaders of the virus, and in some worst-case scenarios, as predators."
— GLAAD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.