Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:16:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 247
Total: 248

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Psychologist Appointment  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Loa111

Psychologist Appointment
« on: September 10, 2021, 07:16:04 am »
My last ID Appointment just last week, I told ID doc I was feeling a lack of "zap" & "spark" that i always had, and it certainly has not been the same since my illness with advanced DX back in May 2018. I mentioned I feel a bit of "drag" & a bit of stress this year as a lot of stuff going on around me biting at me. Anyway, I asked for a Testosterone test, which Dr. took bloods for, as my age nearly 50, we all know low Testo can cause this. Anyway...

ID Doc also suggested there's a psychologist attached to our ID Clinic for us poz people as part of their holistic treatment ethos, & suggest it might be worth having a chat with the Psychologist too regarding the "drag" I feel and lack of zap & spark so I agreed, why not.

Psychologist just called me, very nice lady, asked a few questions, and if I am open to a proper chat which I agreed to. So in 2 weeks approx I have a 1 hour initial phone session with the Psych. Also due to fact I keep my DX secret & have no one to talk to about it (other than you good people on here).

I am a bit nervous about this, as I am the traditional (probably unoptimal) way of "Man Up!" so I bottle things up & soldier on, I don't like to show emotion public lets say, undentable armour .  So my question is, I am a bit nervous about talking about any deeper stuff I. might be asked about!?!  :o

For one, I really hate even when new docs ask me about how I got infected... ok I did go with a lot of women at one point & sometimes didn't take care the horniness just got the better of me but i'd hate if that was probed into.

Any advice for me? Have any of you ever consulted with a psychologist for poz people?

Offline RMalongo

Re: Psychologist Appointment
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 11:28:34 am »
Dear Loa,

It will definitely help you. I have been taking to one weekly since 2 months and it helps a lot (even though mine is not Poz specialized).
Go for it, it might difficult to talk in the beginning, tell her about it, it is a long process…

Best

Offline harleymc

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 04:02:15 am »
psychology and psychologists are by no means any suggestion of pathology or weakness. They are highly skilled at helping you make sense of your world and your relationship to your world.

The process may be one or two visits, or longer.  You will gain tools and techniques to help yourself.

Not all people and their psychologists get on well, it's ok to leave one and find another if that's how you feel.

Good luck!

Offline Loa111

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 05:14:45 am »
Thanks for the advice guys.

I am looking forward to giving it a go & see what develops. I have to fill in a pre-appointment questionnaire & sent it back to help psychologist prep.

It will be interesting to see how I feel, as I always had a view point, that the exploring into ones mind, might stir things up for the worse, however I am willing to work beyond this, and go in with an open mind.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.