Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2021, 05:31:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 762000
  • Total Topics: 64697
  • Online Today: 117
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 80
Total: 83

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: legal question  (Read 561 times)

Offline em

legal question
« on: August 19, 2021, 12:10:27 am »
this might have been asked before ? thought worth a starting a dialog about.

If some states in the USA and even countries passed laws about knowing you have the virus and not disclosing is a crime . then would it not be such a leap that not getting vaccinated for covid and getting sick and surviving. should not that person be brought up on charges for reckless behavior or something for knowingly spreading a virus that they new could have been prevented with the vaccine . it is like they had a war on people with HIV . But not anyone else who has an illness . just showing the absurd way people with HIV have been treated and the way people with covid are getting away with causing others to get sick and dying from a virus that with a the vaccine might have prevented.  I never heard of anyone being charged with spreading hep C.  Viral discrimination and persecution

I heard this topic that the question was asked should insurance companies charge higher  rates for  people who do not get vaccinated ?   

again just curious if this might be relevant .  thank you for hearing me out

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 12:17:50 am by em »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: legal question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 01:18:16 am »
To answer a legal question you would need to ask a solicitor/lawyer.

From a layman's point of view, in itself, I can't imagine people will get charged just for not having vaccinated themselves against an illness and we have plenty of illnesses that we can vaccinate against besides covid.

I never heard of anyone being charged with spreading hep C

Few links from my notes, I am sure there are plenty of examples though if you look.

27 February 2018 - US: Hepatitis C criminalisation on the rise, a worrying echo of HIV criminalisation laws
https://www.hivjustice.net/news-from-other-sources/us-hepatitis-c-criminalisation-on-the-rise-a-worrying-echo-of-hiv-criminalisation-laws/

https://www.aidsmap.com/news/apr-2007/man-sentenced-nine-years-reckless-sexual-transmission-hiv-and-hcv-scotland-updated
Hepatitis C: Man sentenced to 9 years.

https://khn.org/news/if-youve-got-hep-c-spitting-can-be-a-felony/
Hepatitis C: Man sentenced to 18 months for spitting.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19625598/
Hepatitis B and chlamydia: Man sentenced to 2 years

https://www.hivjustice.net/news/uk-court-of-appeal-upholds-mans-conviction-for-recklessly-passing-on-genital-herpes-during-sex-with-ex-girlfriend/
Herpes: Man sentenced to 2 years
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:36:46 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline em

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 01:22:46 am »
you are like google here all the information anyone could ever need about HIV .
thank you for the information and letting me know I have been educated about information I am to lazy look up on my own . sorry for my ignorance but I wanted to know again thank you 

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 08:54:14 pm »
it is like they had a war on people with HIV

I never heard of anyone being charged with spreading hep C
yes, it was exactly like a war of PLWH. Unfortunately, our society in America was freaked out about AIDS (as well they should have) but for many of the wrong reasons. Rather than wait for the science on transmission, it was labeled as a "gay" disease. This gave the bigots and ignorant all the "justification" they needed to demand policies and laws that didn't actually contain HIV but lead to stigma which only fueled the pandemic.

While these laws sadly result in imprisonment, I remember when they wanted to brand, tattoo, quarantine away from society (a policy by Presidential candidate Pat Buchanan in the mid-late 80s), or even put to death PLWH.

The COVID pandemic is different in that it didn't seem to start by only affecting one group of society, one that is often stigmatized. I hate to say it; but if COVID seemed to only be affecting "Haitians, hemophiliacs, heroin users, and homosexuals", I believe we would hear and see legal movements to "contain" patients again. I'd like to think the outcome would be better than before (prison, quarantine, etc) as more reasoned people would speak out; but if there's one thing I learned through the last 5 years, people are more hateful and more ignorant than I ever imagined.

COVID is also different because of the transmission mode. Often HIV and HepC are transmitted through sex or needle use. That means the prudes and religious can get haughty and put up a fuss about the people with "those" kinds of infections. Sometimes even doctors have a little bit of sex-phobia too and give patients incorrect advice. 
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Loa111

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 03:45:02 am »
Interesting topic. So in my country right now if you’re COVID vaccinated you get a “cert” or letter confirming this. You can produce this letter to sit down and eat in a restaurant or go into a pub with no mask. Fair enough. Vaccine does not 100% guarantee protection against COVID either.

Successful treatment for us is U=U so in my opinion if one is poz, U=U, they should not have to reveal this to any sexual partner regardless if sex is protected or not. If it did become an issue for someone there should be a system that the ID Doc can issue a letter saying U=U so no problem.  I might as well dream on!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2021 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.