Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:35:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 195
Total: 197

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Take on 9/11  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
My Take on 9/11
« on: September 11, 2006, 08:02:51 pm »
Dearest Friends,

It was during the very moment the airliners were crashing into the Twin Towers, five years ago today, during my annual physical with my primary care doctor that I was having a blood draw that led to my diagnosis of AIDS.

9/11 means something different to me than to most other people.  It was that day that my own tower came crashing down.  I learned of my positive status before the dust had settled in NYC.  Because of my loving spouse, Thom, my ground zero has been rebuilt.  My tower is back.  Standing taller, prouder than ever.

I am thankful for many things.  My greatly improved heath.  The love of a man who has stood by my side every step of this journey.  The large number of friends I have made here on AIDSmed.com and the support I have received from your unending love.  

May the powers that be keep all of you well.  Together we will live to see an end to this horrid disease.  We will dance together as the world's largest family.  And as we say here in Wisconsin, "We will party 'til the cows come home."

With deepest respect and love to you all, Ric.

Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me . . .

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
Re: My Take on 9/11
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 08:45:05 pm »
What beautiful words, thank you Ric!

Kindest,
Drew

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:08:54 pm »
Suddenly, I feel the urge to moooo :) Tragedy does indeed have great transformative powers.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 10:39:03 pm »
Ric, thank you for sharing this with us. You are not alone. Give an extra long hug to the one by your side.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 10:42:03 pm »
It is definitely a memorable day for you Ric.....

I'm glad you're here, glad you're safe, and glad to call you my friend.

Hugs to you and Thom,

Alan   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Biggums

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 10:48:16 pm »
Ric,

Your posts are always so meaningful.  I am glad you are here and have influenced my life.  Like so many beautiful things that have come from the tragedy of 9/11, you are one of them as well.  Thank you for sharing your story and your life with us.  Bless you.
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:46:45 am »
Wow Ric, I didn't realise you were diagnosed on 9/11 - although upon reflection, I think maybe you did mention this ages ago. Maybe on one of the other anniversaries?

The morning of 9/11/2001 found me and my partner travelling in the Loire Valley in France. We arrived in Angers in the early afternoon, checked into our hotel room and went downstairs to the cafe for lunch. Our waiter was very friendly and spoke passable English. He wanted to know where we were from and what we thought of France and we talked for a good ten minutes. He took our order and disappeared into the kitchen, where a radio could be heard. About ten minutes later he came running out to our table, his good English replaced by only the phrases "World Trade Center", "airplane" and "boom". It was so surreal - this man who was only minutes beforehand speaking to us in very understandable English was suddenly reduced to a wild pantomime of a plane flying into a building. His command of the English language deserted him almost completely through his distress.

We had a very difficult time over the next few hours piecing together what happened. We watched some telly in our room, but as there were no English stations available, we still didn't know quite what was happening. Every time an English speaking person started to talk, the audio was replaced with a French speaking voice-over. Talk about frustration!

I was fairly newly diagnosed myself at this point, and I couldn't help but relate the events in NYC with the shock of my diagnosis. Even the fact that we were trying to understand information that was being presented to us in a foreign language struck a chord with me because that was exactly how I felt during the initial days of knowing that I had hiv.

I felt a little guilty I guess, equating my situation with the situation in NYC and so I never really talked about it at the time. The fact remained though that to me, it did feel entwined somehow in my psyche. I could relate to those crumbling buildings in a way that perhaps others couldn't. And now I find that you were having very similar thoughts, Ric. All I can think of to say now is ....

((((((Ric))))))

More hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.