Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:03:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why must Drs leave messages like this one...  (Read 3643 times)

Offline JPinLA

• Cheers!
Why must Drs leave messages like this one...
« on: August 09, 2007, 10:46:43 am »
I think I might be overreacting here.  I am but a few months into meds (Truvada/Viramune) and less than one year poz.

So, I had an appointment with my doctor about 2 weeks ago and had all the regular blood tests done.

I called two days ago and left a message with my Dr.'s assistant that I wanted to hear my test results (T4 count, liver..blah blah).  So, I get a message this morning from my Dr. that he wanted to talk about my numbers but he is out of the office today (Thursday) and will call me on Friday.

Obviously this is not sitting well with me.  The last time my Dr. left a message for me it was to tell me I was HIV positive so I do not like it when Dr.s leave unqualified messages.  By qualified I mean they should say something like:  "Oh, I just wanted to go over your numbers with you, nothing looks bad so no rush"  or "I wanted to go over your numbers with you and the sooner the better because....". This way I know whether to worry until my head hurts or be at ease.

Well, as you can already guess I am in full swing worry mode right now and it will most likely continue until I talk to him tomorrow. When I do get my dear South African medicine man on the phone, I will request that he not leave such ambiguous sounding messages because I am prone to self-imposed anxiety attacks.

I just wanted to vent to you all for a bit...

Just breath Jason, just breath.

Thanks for listening...

Jason (JP)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:03:45 am by JPinLA »
11/06 - Diagnosed - VL/5784 & CD4 326
2/07 - VL/6000 & CD4 290 2/07
3//07 -Began Truvada/Viramune 
4/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 320 22%
7/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 286 22%
11/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 302 26%

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
Re: Why must Dr's leave messages like this one...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 11:09:03 am »
JP,

reading your post, my first thought is that your doctor was professional because he did not leave you with partial information on your answering machine. That he wants to talk to you in person and therefore be able to answer your questions or hear your reaction to the news he has is, I think, a good thing. Wether the news are good or not so good.

Hope this helps,

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline JPinLA

• Cheers!
Re: Why must Drs leave messages like this one...
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 11:23:12 am »
It does help, thank you Pat.  I am prone to overreaction, creating mountains out of mole hills...you know a little chicken little-ish.

I needed to vent a little and I am feeling somewhat more relaxed.

Jason

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
Re: Why must Dr's leave messages like this one...
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 11:27:48 am »
reading your post, my first thought is that your doctor was professional because he did not leave you with partial information on your answering machine. That he wants to talk to you in person and therefore be able to answer your questions or hear your reaction to the news he has is, I think, a good thing. Wether the news are good or not so good.

I agree.  With HIPPA not sure that he could leave detailed info on an answering machine that anyone could listen to.  Plus just starting out on meds I think it is great that he wants to meet with you to discuss the results.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 12:22:03 pm »
Ditto. Take it as a sign that he respects you and your privacy.

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 01:24:36 pm »
1) it is respect for you.

2) they do this because so many people get their labs done and never call in to make a followup appointment with their doc.

That's what I was told by my doc when he did the same thing to me a few years back when I was also early on into my med routine. My reaction was much like yours Jason, but I explained this to my doctor and he has never done it again to me. 

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 02:05:53 pm »
Jason, I had a similar incounter with Dr. Ben and his office.  After that first veg answering machine message,   I told him and his office how they should communicate to me...  I think just like the rest have said that they are just protecting your privacy...

Eric

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 11:23:01 pm »
I agree, he was probably just respecting your privacy.   And if it is a serious issue, believe me you would rather discuss it in person.

When my cardiologist called me in almost 10 years ago, I knew it was 'bad news' when he directed me to his office rather than an exam room.   I got lightheaded when he told me I had congestive heart failure, and my heart was functioning at about 30% of normal...

But hey, here I still am.   Don't panic, you will get through it, and hopefully it is nothing.

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline allanq

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 02:49:05 pm »
Jason,

Did your doctor call you on Friday? If he did, how did it go?

Allan

Offline JPinLA

• Cheers!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 07:34:49 pm »
He did guys and thank you!  It was EXACTLY just as you said.  He wanted to give me the chance to ask questions and everything is fine!!  Thank you all and I was SO relieved to hear from him and I told him my concern and he completely explained why he called instead of his assistant.

I appreciate all of youre replies because it did help to get rid of some of the anxiety until I heard from him.

Jason

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.