Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:35:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 458
Total: 458

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: changing meds  (Read 4226 times)

Offline blamdambadderstiddle

changing meds
« on: October 07, 2009, 03:23:27 pm »
Hello chaps,

My first post. My partner has been on meds for more or less three years. Trizivir has seen her CD4 go back to over 700 and viral load remain undetectable.

All this is provided free of charge in the country we currently live in.

Problem is, I plan to retire next year and we are aiming to relocate to a SE Asian country where Trizivir is not currently available.

When asked about this ,our current doctor was not very helpful. Maybe the ingredients of trizivir can be had over there he opined. Not a good idea to change meds, he added.

Anybody got experience of the wisdom, or folly, of changing meds overnight. We really want to relocate but meds, and the cost of them, is clearly a very important factor. Any advice? Many thanks in advance.

Blamdambadderstiddle

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: changing meds
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:07:09 pm »
Trizivir is 3 drugs: 3TC (lamivudine), AZT (zidovudine) and abacavir -- these are available singly, certainly the 1st two will be, possibly even combined into one pill. The drugs may well be generic (non-brand name) formulations but just as good. It does not matter if you take the 3 separate drugs rather than Trizivir.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 02:07:31 pm »
Thanks Newt.
Any other views welcome.
Blamdam......etc(why did I choose this stupid login)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 11:02:56 am »
As Newt said, the components of Trizivir should be available.

Before you pull up stakes though, I would check out available medical care and meds, if you are able. I would also try to ascertain the costs involved.

Perhaps if you mention the Southeast Asia country or region, others familiar with it could respond.

Good luck and hang in there.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 12:51:17 pm »
Yes, sorry it's no secret.

The country is Thailand, my partner is Thai and entitled to state medical care. I have checked costs with Bumrungrad which is top end hospital and reckon where we will likely be has to be cheaper.

There is apparently no generic version of abacavir as yet, which will be the main expense.

Any experience of complete change of meds. Can that be done, is it ever a good idea? New to us so any advice appreciated.

Blamdambadderstiddle

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 01:35:36 pm »
Hi Blam, welcome to the forum.

Is your partner on Trizivir only? If so, she might want to change her meds anyway as that is not an optimal combo on its own. All three drugs in this med are from a single class - NRTIs - and a good combo is made from two or more classes.

For HIV-positive adults beginning anti-HIV drug therapy for the first time, Trizivir—used without other HIV medications—is listed as a "possible" treatment option by the United States Department of Health and Human Services in its treatment guidelines. This means that it can be used, but because of lingering concerns about effectiveness and/or safety, it is considered to be inferior to "preferred" or "alternative" drug combinations. The use of Trizivir without other HIV medications is only recommended when a preferred or alternative protease inhibitor (PI)- or a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI)-based regimen cannot be used because of side effects or significant drug-drug interactions. source

You can read more about the different drugs and what classes they are in by reading through the Drug Information section of this website. You can read about what combos are preferred by reading through The Big Treatment Questions, found in the Lessons section of this website.

It is totally possible - and probably preferable - for her to switch meds, but it should be done under her doctor's supervision. Hope the info above helps.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 02:50:13 pm »
Thanks Ann,
All I can say is that Trizivir is what was prescribed here and it has seen her numbers go from  CD4 212 to 702 in the last 3 years with viral load remaining undetectable and no discernable side effects. That looks pretty good to me.

Your view on this much appreciated.

Blamdam.....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 03:00:37 pm »
Hi Blam,

Well, her results are certainly impressive. However, I have to say I wouldn't trust that combo myself. I'd be too afraid that an accidental missed dose or two could too easily lead to resistance of pretty much the whole NRTI class.

A more standard and reliable combo would give her good results too. Of course, this is something she'll have to research, think about and talk to her doctor about. You'll also have to look into just what combos are available in Thailand. There are a few members here who live in Thailand, hopefully some of them will see your thread sometime soon and give you some information.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:41:44 pm »
Hey Blam,

Regarding a complete switch, that is possible, but it should be done under the supervision of a doctor who would be able to monitor your partner for the first few months to make sure all is well.

I have completely switched meds, although I have stayed with one particular class of meds in part. Switching meds when undetectable isn't uncommon when other side effects are taking place - or I would suppose if the meds aren't available.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.