Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:09:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773223
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 613
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: World AIDS Day 2022 - Anyone doing anything?  (Read 10246 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
World AIDS Day 2022 - Anyone doing anything?
« on: December 01, 2022, 02:34:00 am »
Dec 1st is World Aids Day, and if I am not mistaken, this year will be the 35th time that this date has been marked globally.

Is anyone doing anything this year?

1.5 million people acquired HIV in 2021, and an estimated 510 000 to 860 000 died from AIDS-related illnesses in 2021.

Unaids has the equalize campaign this year, a call to address inequalities and help end AIDS. https://www.unaids.org/en/2022-world-aids-day

https://www.poz.com/article/inequalities-blocking-end-aids-pandemic
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 02:56:42 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline zach

Re: World AIDS Day 2022 - Anyone doing anything?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 04:38:29 pm »
I didn't know it was today. I'm only in the clinic twice a year, today's the day, southern church folks are feeding everyone.

The Ponce clinic is being remodeled, the new check in greeting desk is in the old office space of a friend that passed away. Had a moment with my emotions.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 04:51:43 pm »

I watch a lot of news, and once again,... NO mention of World Aids Day. Maybe they will give a brief mention on the World news tonight.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 05:24:19 pm »

ojo.              Hi all!!
I was watchig CNN, during the press conference with Francee’s president, Biden mentioned WORLD. AIDS DAY and wanrs the end of the hiv pandemic over for the year 2030. ALSo, after that, CNN mentioned world aids day and even mentioned a new vaccine study first and hase, with very promising results. Let’s wait and see…hugs

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 08:34:29 am »
I caught Biden speaking too. It's funny, and not in the good way, I remember back when I was really involved with the Ryan White program and the goal was to "end the aids epidemic by 2020". Hopefully the campaign doesn't change in a few years to "by 2040".

I also hate that slogan - "ending the aids epidemic". I don't think most people understand the difference between HIV and AIDS. Ending the AIDS epidemic is not the same thing as ending the HIV epidemic but most people think the slogan means getting rid of HIV and that's not it. It means stopping AIDS from happening due to late diagnosis and/or no medication. People living with HIV will be around for a long time yet, that's not "ending".

Unfortunately World AIDS Day these days just leaves me feeling, I guess, unfulfilled. As the years have gone by and the vast bulk of AIDS deaths in America receded further into that past, WAD seems to have changed it's meaning. Instead of memorial services, many events are now more about HIV awareness and prevention. I think programs like Ryan White and Ending the Epidemic have influenced the change. HIV funding has become, as HIV has become a chronic manageable disease (if treated!) more focused on prevention. In turn, during the last decade-plus, WAD events, especially when sponsored by an HIV organization receiving federal funding, have become more and more about prevention - leaving out the uncomfortable part of remembering those who have been lost to HIV/AIDS.

I remember even back in the mid 2010s having to push the agencies I worked with to re-incorporate a memorial part to their WAD events. I've noticed that since I quit my volunteer work, and since many of HIV clinics have become FQHCs (federally qualified health centers) that quite a number of agencies have dropped WAD events or turned them into nothing but prevention events. Of course this outcome was predictable as becoming FHQCs meant the funding and performance measures would tend toward prevention along with the FHQCs losing their previous HIV-centric goals and treating all diseases. (HIV is just not that big of a problem when only .6% of the USA population is affected.)

I would suggest too that we don't hear about WAD events as much anymore because, in part due to the push of the funding, these events are more targeted. Rather than large crowds in a city gathering for a candle light vigil, now these events are targeted to younger people, LGBTQ, etc.

Although, I should point out, that many religious orgs/churches do have WAD events that include more of a remembrance/memorial motif that's based on spiritual comfort than prevention, especially when not influenced by federal funding.

I guess, as a TL;DR, having lost a lot of people in my life to AIDS, I'm just a grumbly old long term survivor who misses the old days when WAD was a memorial to our loved ones.  :'( But, yea! go prevention!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.