Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:16:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 316
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anybody ever had to have shots for rabies??  (Read 2838 times)

Offline pozinbama

Anybody ever had to have shots for rabies??
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:44:07 pm »
Howdy All,

I've not been around these parts for sometime but need some info if anybody has any on the subject. My partner and I just recently moved into a new place (in Ohio) that turned out to have bats in the attic. And of course we had an encounter with one. We were able to kill and capture it. I took it to the county health dept for testing where it did indeed have rabies. We were not bitten that we know of, but with bats you can apparently get bitten and not know it. And since rabies=death they aren't taking any chances and are sending us in the morning to start the series of rabies shots....I have not yet told them that we both have hiv.

And...neither of us has been to the doc or been on meds in over sixth months. For reasons that I won't go into, I will assume our immune systems are not in tip-top shape....but it seems as we have no choice in getting the shots. I'm just not sure what to expect and am not finding any info on HIV'ers and rabies vaccines online yet. Has anyone had to go through these? Any complications to expect?

Thanks for any help if you can.
Steven

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Anybody ever had to have shots for rabies??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 08:51:40 pm »
I dug something up about this last year, but I can't be bothered searching for the link.

Essentially, yes you can have rabies vaccine, but you might require extra doses for it to be effective.

MtD

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 01:01:40 am »
Rabies shots were a childhood fear of mine.  I have never known anyone who has had it done but I was told as a child it was very painful, lasted for days and was a fate worse than death.

I have always had dogs, they were regularly vacinated, no problem
I live in a house which had bats in the attic, which sometimes got out and flew through the house a few times, no problem but I would never kill one.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline mjmel

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 08:04:43 am »
It is a non-live viral vaccine so you two should be fine.

This is a good measure to abide by as recently there were a couple of children (in Ohio) who contracted rabies virus and they could not tie it in with an actual bitten episode. So....right.....they were bitten unnoticed.

Mike

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 11:02:17 am »
I was given the rabies shots as a precaution before going to Peru with the Peace Corps.  I dont remember it being very difficult. No side effects.
But if I were you I would lay it all on the table for the doctors there at the Health Dept.  Get a letter from your doctor or something.

modified to add:  This was before being HIV positive.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 11:04:39 am by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline dixieman

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 11:44:50 am »
Well if your in question? Contact the nearest CDC center and or have your attending physician check to see if the shots could possibly cause complications. The shots are not given in the stomach anymore.. it use tobe a series of 50... now their given in a series of 9 to several per day effectively for 5 days. Have you checked online to see about rabies shots? rabies shots after contact with a rabid animal? try to google it up to see but, I will tell you its not as unpleasant as in the past... but, its not an experience one wishes for either. Just inform your doctor.. they will check but, in reality you have little to no alternative in place. A vaccine as precaution is totally different from a series to prevent the spread of the virus to the brain. Since you already know the bat as being infected... why have you not immediately gone through the treatment? Its not if its a given... seek medical attention ASAP!

Offline angelofdreams

• dreaming away
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 04:09:08 pm »
hmmm,

just reading this post makes me laugh a bit,
i can imagine the number of jokes some people must get in there head
To live would be a awefully big adventure

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 04:56:44 pm »
sorry to hear about the bat incident

i had to have rabies vaccine about 5 or 6 years ago, after becoming, er...entangled with a raccoon while mountan biking in canada. bit of a hassle, as it's multiple shots - 5 doses over the course of about a month, plus rabies immune globulin shot.
think i felt a bit flu-y, sore arm. otherwise uneventful. my cd4 was prob around 200 at that point? clearly itworked cos i's not rabid

in a separate incident, my brother also had the jabs, after being bitten by a golden retriever in a quarantine kennels near heathrow airport  :)

kate
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:00:45 pm by penguin »

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 06:20:40 pm »
I did chase a bat through the house with a tennis racket once.  My tennis instructor said not to do that again because it could ruin the work we had done on my backhand  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.