Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:35:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 363
Total: 365

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ADAP Update 2/4/11 and the crisis in FL  (Read 10631 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
ADAP Update 2/4/11 and the crisis in FL
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:31:39 pm »
ADAPs with Waiting Lists
(6,001 individuals in 10 states*, as of February 3, 2011)
(changes from Jan 20 noted in parens (+451))

Arkansas: 27 individuals (+4)
Florida: 3,085 individuals (+206)
Georgia: 920 individuals (+47)
Louisiana: 645 individuals** (+42)
Montana: 19 individuals (0)
North Carolina: 114 individuals (+9)
Ohio: 390 individuals (+55)
South Carolina: 386 individuals (+42)
Virginia: 412 individuals (+152)
Wyoming: 3 individuals (+2)

ADAP Feb 4th Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program.  This number is a representation of their current unmet need.

In case you didn't catch this in the last Jan ADAP Waiting List update, please read the article Tim Horn has written about the crisis in Florida where roughly 6,500 ADAP clients in Florida are about to be temporarily cut off from ADAP
"Fiasco in Florida"
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/HIV_ADAP_Florida_2042_19820.shtml

Sometime in early Feb, when Florida shuts down it's ADAP program, although many people will still have access to meds through other temporary means, that will effectively double the amount of people on the waiting lists. Sadly, that means that over 12,000 Americans will be relying on temporary means to obtain their currently prescribed HIV medications. If any of these stop-gap measures should fail, with that many people in jeopardy, the chances of seeing Americans dying from AIDS because they are unable to obtain medications will increase substantially.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline richie

Re: ADAP Update 2/4/11 and the crisis in FL
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 01:24:41 pm »
The issue is being made very public -- now being picked up by PBS today.....

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2011/02/funding-shortage-threatans-aids-drug-programs.html

This really does make my blood boil (maybe that's a cure? ;-)  ) as the US gives billions to fund overseas HIV programs, but can't afford a few piddly million for we measly US citizens?  Pathetic. 

Best,

--rich

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 02:52:11 pm »
as the US gives billions to fund overseas HIV programs, but can't afford a few piddly million for we measly US citizens?  Pathetic. 
of course, I need to point out that this is not just a problem of the federal govenrment funding at static levels for several years while the count of the infected needing ADAP rises; but it's a state misappropriation problem too. For example, SC tried to defund ADAP completely in this years budget and finally only financed it for a minimal amount - yet the legislators voted to pay millions to support the Miss SC beauty pageant and had $10 mill lying around that they could loan to bankroll a golf tournament.

Bad priorities, federal funding that is falling behind, drastically reduced state support and rising infections rates account for this perfect storm of problems

Kibler says he began selling some of his possessions on eBay so he could afford medications. He stockpiled his drugs and reduced his dosages, uncertain that he would be covered for the next month.
it always concerns me reading statements like that. What meds did he reduce? A sub-optimal amount of ARVs is actually worse than just not taking any meds as resistance can develop limiting the choices of meds in the future.

This really does make my blood boil (maybe that's a cure? ;-)  )
LOL  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 03:42:18 pm »
The Crisis is not only in Florida.  It is also in Virginia.  I have to make an arrangement to leave this state quickly.  >:(
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:51:28 pm »
The Crisis is not only in Florida.  It is also in Virginia.  I have to make an arrangement to leave this state quickly.  >:(
make sure to go the "right" state though. ;)
we've already had some members here move from states where they received ADAP and/or Medicaid who moved into states with ADAP issues or where they no longer met the qualifications for assistance and are now crying the blues.

Anyone thinking of moving these days, especially if they receive assistance for your prescriptions or health care needs to do serious research and NOT move to a state with an ADAP waiting list or a Medicaid program on the verge of bankruptcy.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:08:44 pm »

Virginia has a budget surplus and there's no reason for there to be an ADAP crisis in that state.

Offline cardsfan69

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:31:39 pm »
I'm pretty sure us here in Florida arent gonna lose access to meds like first thought. I know they were thinking of moving 6500 already enrolled in ADAP onto the wait list ......til april. Funds have run out but only for 2 months so people were gonna have to go without meds until the new funding kicked in. But i'm pretty sure I read online a charity called Wellvista stepped in and is providing meds for those 6500 patients and the other 3500 adap enrollees here in florida i think they moved some money from the ryan white funds into adap to be able to get their meds. From what i've read there will be no stoppage of getting your meds from the broward county health dept where i live..........Wellvista meds are being sent to the Adap pharmacies. That is my understanding.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 04:41:49 pm »
If you read the link in the opening post you'd see that it fully discusses Wellvista.  Guess that's asking to much though.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 04:47:01 pm »
yes check out my link, in the starting post of this thread, back to the last Jan ADAP Watch update. A small non-profit org based in Columbia SC has worked out deals to keep FL pozzies medicated until FY2011 starts. Technically you will be losing ADAP, as ADAP will be bankrupt, but thankfully a short-term stop-gap solution will be saving the day until the budget for FY2012 kicks in.

While this temporary two-month stop-gap measure works, in no way is it a guaranteed or long-term measure to keep people medicated. What happens when the FL budget runs out before FY2012 ends (with no extra $$ allocated in next years budget and a rising count of applications, it's nearly guaranteed to happen again in this upcoming fiscal year) and Welvista is unable to work up this deal again?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 03:08:40 pm »
make sure to go the "right" state though. ;)

I have three states, VA, DC and Maryland within about 25 miles area.  If I face a problem in VA, I am thinking I will be moving in either of the two states without difficulty.  So far I think these states are not reported as having ADAP problem, at least in this site. God Knows.
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 04:06:59 pm »
I have three states, VA, DC and Maryland within about 25 miles area.  If I face a problem in VA, I am thinking I will be moving in either of the two states without difficulty.  So far I think these states are not reported as having ADAP problem, at least in this site. God Knows.
umm, VA has a very bad problem - the governor would like to cut all ADAP funding and let Medicaid and the pharmaceutical companies figure out how to save the lives of Virginia citizens by supplying them with meds.

from the current ADAP watch list listed in the o.p. of this thread:
"Virginia: 412 individuals (+152)"

http://blogs.poz.com/shawn/archives/2011/01/bad_news_virginia_ad.html
December 23, 2010
Virginia to Move 760 ADAP Clients to Waiting List

Nearly 760 people currently in Virginia's AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) but who have stable immune systems will transition on to the ADAP waiting list in the next few months

technically DC isn't a state ;); but it does have it's own ADAP program
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
ADAP Update 2/10/11
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 05:06:19 pm »
Wow! The Watch Report has been updated much faster this time. Normally about twice a month, this newest update comes on the heels of the report from just a week ago.

ADAPs with Waiting Lists
(6,235 individuals in 10 states*, as of February 10, 2011)
(changes from Feb 4 noted in parens (+234))

Arkansas: 27 individuals (0)
Florida: 3,204 individuals (+119)
Georgia: 956 individuals (+36)
Louisiana: 673 individuals** (+28)
North Carolina: 117 individuals (+3)
Ohio: 412 individuals (+22)
South Carolina: 397 individuals (+7)
Virginia: 427 individuals (+15)
Wyoming: 3 individuals (0)

ADAP Feb 10th Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program.  This number is a representation of their current unmet need.

This edition of the ADAP Watch is filled with a lot more information about what measures are being taken in each state and the seriousness of this continuing crisis
As of February 10, 2011, there were 6,235 individuals on AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP)
waiting lists in 10 states.  This is a 32 percent increase from the 4,732 individuals on the December 2010
ADAP Watch
.   Eighteen ADAPs, nine with current waiting lists, have instituted additional cost-
containment measures since April 1, 2009 (reported as of February 2, 2011).   In addition, ten ADAPs,
including two with current waiting lists, reported they are considering implementing new or additional
cost-containment measures by the end of ADAP’s current fiscal year (March 31, 2011).
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
Re: ADAP Update 2/10/11
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 12:54:55 am »
We sadly "welcome" a new state, Idaho, to the ADAP Watch List this time. Thankfully we haven't seen VA disenroll 760 clients yet, nor has SC disenrolled 200 clients.

I don't know what the status of the situation is in Flordia right now, but we can't forget that their ADAP has gone broke and is not going to be able to cover meds for 6500 clients. Although Welvista has worked out a temporary plan to help with that situation (as it has supplied meds for clients in other states who are on those waiting lists), technically they should add that number to the Watch List to reflect the true crisis of ADAP in FL and throughout these 10 other states.

ADAPs with Waiting Lists
(6,452 individuals in 11 states*, as of February 17, 2011)
(changes from Feb 10 noted in parens (+217))

Arkansas: 33 individuals (+6)
Florida: 3,276 individuals (+72)
Georgia: 968 individuals (+12)
Idaho: 3 individuals
Louisiana: 700 individuals** (+27)
North Carolina: 127 individuals (+10)
Ohio: 427 individuals (+15)
South Carolina: 448 individuals (+21)
Virginia: 448 individuals (+21)
Wyoming: 3 individuals

ADAP Feb 17th Watch List
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
Re: ADAP Update 2/10/11
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »
ADAPs with Waiting Lists
(6,704 individuals in 11 states*, as of February 24, 2011)
(changes from Feb 10 noted in parens (+252))

Arkansas: 36 individuals (+3)
Florida: 3,407 individuals (+131)
Georgia: 1,009 individuals (+41)
Idaho: 4 individuals (+1)
Louisiana: 718 individuals** (+18)
Montana: 20 individuals (+1)
North Carolina: 130 individuals (+3)
Ohio: 438 individuals (+11)
South Carolina: 468 individuals (+20)
Virginia: 471 individuals (+23)
Wyoming: 3 individuals (0)

ADAP Feb 24th Watch List

NOTE: I just spoke with a rep from SC DHEC (S.C. Department of Health & Environmental Control) and learned that the waiting list count in SC has already jumped another 39 people to 507. Another rally, with even more sponsors involved as the health care budget cuts will soon be affecting many more programs than just ADAP, is scheduled for Mar 12th as the state legislature debates the budget for the next fiscal year. (FY2012) That will be a total of 4 rallies in just a year's time trying to impress upon our legislators the need and importance of funding health care and especially ADAP.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.