Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:24:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 497
Total: 498

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: To hell with the "cat in the Hat," there's a "mouse in the house."  (Read 8381 times)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
A mouse have been running loose in my kitchen and I am thinking about killing it.  But, it is not causing me any harm and it maybe doing things to help around the apartment like, "doing the dishes, parking the car, and ironing the cothes."    ;)  Anyway, I hate killing things, I guess in my past life I was the Budda, and he or she can't get to my food stuff for they are in a secure place.  I figure it is using my fridge as a base of operations to "Finally Rule the World."  Sorry, I was channeling "Pinky and the Brain."  What do you think I should do?  Set traps, block entry or just let it be?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Granny60

Re: To hell with the "cat in the Hat," there's a "mouse in the house."
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:41:56 pm »
Trap the bugger. 3 months from now, when you come back from the loo and find "the mouse" or one of it's 9 chillens has decided to taste the liquor and drown in your unfinished glass of vodka, you will wish you had headed my advice.  ::)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:00:34 pm »
Forget a mouse in your fridge, I think I have one in my room.  There are no no tell-tell signs like droppings or a Hole in my baseboard with a little mailbox in front...I just hear something jumping around at night and scurrying about.
I cant bring myself to put out one of those old traps to kill it, but it must go 'cause as Granny says there will soon be more. Think ill go to Lowes one of these days and see if they have a humane mouse trap.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 12:59:28 am »
Get a cat. Job done.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:21:50 am »
sadly, our cat (well, Mom's cat actually) has gotten too old to do his job inside the house; though he did treat me to a few dead moles out by my garden this summer in appreciation for all the nightly feedings I have given him.

so 2 traps have ended the lives of two mice who were gnawing their way through cheese crackers and bags of powdered sugar. the third trap has been empty for 2 wks so I think the problem of rodent droppings, rodent germs, and loss of food stuffs has come to an end.

and the cat is still napping inside just two feet away from the cabinet were the mice were. LOL

a cat (young enough) or traps, either way, just get rid of the mouse you have before you have mice! ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 01:35:06 am »
But how to kill the cat once the mouse is caught?

With a crossbow, that's how! :)

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:36:32 am »

MtD

Glue traps.  I mean they might meow for a long time while they slowly starve to death but eventually it'll die and then you can just take the whole trap out.  No blood, no mess.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 08:45:10 am »
Occasionally mice can be carriers of disease including salmonella and meningitis.
Kindness and karma ok, to a limit, but protect your household, dear.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 11:55:28 am »
Will, I just remembered - you already have a cat! You must be feeding him far too much if he's letting mice run around your house.

And yes, buddy, mice. I've read where if you see one mouse, you can bet there are at least 5-10 more that you don't know about.

Give that cat Matilda a little less food for a day or two and see if he doesn't pull his finger paw out and start doing a little work for his keep.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:16:44 pm »
A mouse have been running loose in my kitchen and I am thinking about killing it.  But, it is not causing me any harm and it maybe doing things to help around the apartment like, "doing the dishes, parking the car, and ironing the cothes."    ;)  Anyway, I hate killing things, I guess in my past life I was the Budda, and he or she can't get to my food stuff for they are in a secure place.  I figure it is using my fridge as a base of operations to "Finally Rule the World."  Sorry, I was channeling "Pinky and the Brain."  What do you think I should do?  Set traps, block entry or just let it be?

You can try what I did... Chase the mouse around the house setting off fire crackers and when that doesn't work, get a cat   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline fearless

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:17:42 pm »
cats only work if they can get to the mice/rats in the first place.
i have this stupid series of built in cupboards that provide mice/rats with a protected superhighway along the kitchen wall.
something bad happened over winter thought - a rat pile up on a foggy morning or something, as something died in there at some point. my kitchen stank, beyond belief for a good couple of weeks.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:05:21 pm »
Try the fire crackers, I haven't seen a mouse in months... Waiting for my next vision exam and new glasses   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 09:38:48 pm »
cats only work if they can get to the mice/rats in the first place.
i have this stupid series of built in cupboards that provide mice/rats with a protected superhighway along the kitchen wall.
something bad happened over winter thought - a rat pile up on a foggy morning or something, as something died in there at some point. my kitchen stank, beyond belief for a good couple of weeks.

Matty had the same problem this past winter. He claimed it was a possum under the floor, but I reckon it was that houseboy he misplaced last April.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Kellyk

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 09:48:27 pm »
As I was moving into my house a few years back-  I left the garage door and hallway entry open for an hour or so while moving things in.   A mouse shot into the house and disappeared.  About 2-3 days later my cat was howling in the bedroom with a present for me.  He decapitated the mouse and put it to rest on my pillow.   I made a big fuss and gave him a tons of treats and threw out the carcass while he was distracted

:)-

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 09:02:22 pm »

MtD
ROFL!!!  There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a fly....

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 09:06:30 pm »
Get a cat. Job done.
Allergic!!!  But I must say that mouse did give me attitude and I may put up with the allergies to get the mouse out the house.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 09:17:54 pm »
Will, I just remembered - you already have a cat! You must be feeding him far too much if he's letting mice run around your house.

And yes, buddy, mice. I've read where if you see one mouse, you can bet there are at least 5-10 more that you don't know about.

Give that cat Matilda a little less food for a day or two and see if he doesn't pull his finger paw out and start doing a little work for his keep.

Yes, Yes But I'm not sure I want a decapitated Mouse on my pillow in the morning, I just want to "relocate" him, not send him to his maker, or even come to some sort of truce whereby he doesnt run across my bed and I wont put out the Rat poison.

Afterall, Stuart Little is my favorite story. Maybe I can catch him and put a little hat on him.

-Will

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 09:28:20 pm »
Yes, Yes But I'm not sure I want a decapitated Mouse on my pillow in the morning, I just want to "relocate" him, not send him to his maker, or even come to some sort of truce whereby he doesnt run across my bed and I wont put out the Rat poison.

Afterall, Stuart Little is my favorite story. Maybe I can catch him and put a little hat on him.

-Will

-Will

I wonder if there is a mouse, can rats be fat behind?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 09:34:37 pm »
I wonder if there is a mouse, can rats be fat behind?

Wherever there are mice, there are rats. Most probably Rattus Norvegicus (the brown rat) but possibly Rattus Rattus (the black rat) too.

MtD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 09:57:04 pm »
I watched a creepy show once on the Discovery channel about mice infestations in a home .

They showed how a mouse will urinate a trail from one end of the house to other in its travels as a kind of beacon to find its way . To illustrate how much urine a modest infestation can leave in your house in a years time they filled up a gallon jug with water and spun around spilling the liquid all over a kitchen .

It was rather startiling considering mouse urine is said to carry disease . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 09:59:55 pm »
Forget a mouse in your fridge, I think I have one in my room.  There are no no tell-tell signs like droppings or a Hole in my baseboard with a little mailbox in front...I just hear something jumping around at night and scurrying about.
-Will
are you sure it isn't Trey - he might have snuck in....
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 10:03:11 pm »
I watched a creepy show once on the Discovery channel about mice infestations in a home .

They showed how a mouse will urinate a trail from one end of the house to other in its travels as a kind of beacon to find its way . To illustrate how much urine a modest infestation can leave in your house in a years time they filled up a gallon jug with water and spun around spilling the liquid all over a kitchen .

It was rather startiling considering mouse urine is said to carry disease . 

Wild rats and mice do carry nasty diseases. Fancy rats and mice (pets bred in captivity) generally do not provided they have no contact with their wild cousins.

MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 10:05:32 pm »
Obligatory cute rodent pictar:

MtD

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 10:45:24 pm »
Obligatory cute rodent pictar:

MtD
lol  How long have you been saving that one? 

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 10:48:12 pm »
One major point.  I live in a complex on the 4th floor and even if i kill the mice, more will come back. What should I do? Lay out glue traps, spread ammonia in the crawl space, get a cat?

Yeah, I know, get a cat.  But how do one take care of a cat besides food and water? 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:52:57 pm by red_Dragon888 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 10:55:57 pm »
PS

What a coincidence that POZ mag has a mouse on the cover.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 11:01:53 pm »
One major point.  I live in a complex on the 4th floor and even if i kill the mice, more will come back. What should I do? Lay out glue traps, spread ammonia in the crawl space, get a cat?

Yeah, I know, get a cat.  But how do one take care of a cat besides food and water? 

Where there are humans there are rodents. Your best bet is to lay traps (not the glue ones - they're horrid) with peanut butter as the bait.

Check them regularly. It's all you can do.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 08:54:18 am »
One major point.  I live in a complex on the 4th floor and even if i kill the mice, more will come back. What should I do? Lay out glue traps, spread ammonia in the crawl space, get a cat?

Cats are pretty self-sufficient. You don't have to walk them like you do dogs.

Aside from food and water, all you need is a litter tray.

Ignore Matty on the subject of cats - he hates them. He's stupid like that sometimes.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 09:54:48 am »

What a coincidence that POZ mag has a mouse on the cover.

They are everywhere. They are coming for you.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 10:27:57 am »
When my partner was bedridden with cancer he noticed there was a tiny field mouse that had gotten into the house. It was about the size of a cotton ball with a tail 3 times the length of it's body. It was adorable! It casually crawl around the bedroom, climb up the shower curtain and kept him entertained for a couple of hours until I got home. When I went to catch the mouse it didn't even run away. I just put it a bucket took it out into the woods an released it. People warned me it was going to come back with 100 of its little friends but I have never seen another one.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2010, 10:30:47 am »
They are everywhere. They are coming for you.

And if you're lucky, they will look like this critter here...

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2010, 10:33:36 am »
This may happen if you put kitty cat to the task;  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbocOHswrTs&feature=related

Try one of these more humane rat cage traps;  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FifWzdBrdes

I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2010, 10:48:21 am »
are you sure it isn't Trey - he might have snuck in....

Yes, I thought about that. But I dont own an 18-wheeler. Besides if it was Trey wouldnt he put a red ball in his mouth and tie himself up to my bed rather than "sneak around"??

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2010, 07:16:04 am »
And if you're lucky, they will look like this critter here...

Yes Officer, that's the mouse that was in the house.  Please tell him to come back...  lol

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2010, 07:27:12 am »
All kidding aside, just when I am feeling comfortable in my own space, nature sends a mouse.  Last night, while composing a letter to a friend, a mouse was coming out the kitchen and making his way into the living room.  Again, Flashbacks of "Tom and Gerry."  I had stomped and he just looked at me, and I finally stomped and got up and that when he got the hint to leave.  I now have a live trap for him and I will let you know if it works.  This is what I get for laughing at all those TV shows of mice winning over the cat. Whose laughing now.  

As for getting a cat, they are too high maintenance for me.  A toilet in the Kitchen... The constant stare down... The attitude I get for coming home late... Please, I rather be married with children.  lol  But I will think about it.  For now I will set the live trap and eventually block the entrance.  I did live with a family that had six cats and it was nice, but I was a kid and did not have to clean up after them.

red

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2010, 07:32:04 am »
When my partner was bedridden with cancer he noticed there was a tiny field mouse that had gotten into the house. It was about the size of a cotton ball with a tail 3 times the length of it's body. It was adorable! It casually crawl around the bedroom, climb up the shower curtain and kept him entertained for a couple of hours until I got home. When I went to catch the mouse it didn't even run away. I just put it a bucket took it out into the woods an released it. People warned me it was going to come back with 100 of its little friends but I have never seen another one.
probably a cat got it :D

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2010, 07:35:14 am »
Where there are humans there are rodents. Your best bet is to lay traps (not the glue ones - they're horrid) with peanut butter as the bait.

Check them regularly. It's all you can do.

MtD
The ones that breaks the necks aren't that hot either.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 08:55:30 am »
[size=9pt=As for getting a cat, they are too high maintenance for me.  A toilet in the Kitchen... The constant stare down... The attitude I get for coming home late... Please, I rather be married with children.  lol  But I will think about it.  For now I will set the live trap and eventually block the entrance.  I did live with a family that had six cats and it was nice, but I was a kid and did not have to clean up after them.

Ew, I'd never put the litter tray in the kitchen. It goes in the bathroom. Even when I had a teeny tiny bathroom with next to no floor space, I kept the tray in the bathtub and moved it when I wanted a bath/shower.

Aside from keeping the litter tray clean and the food and water bowls full, cats aren't high maintenance at all. They're good company too. If you get one, you'll wonder why you waited so long. I'd never be without a cat in my life again.

BTW, I'm glad to hear you got a live trap. Where are you going to release the critter when you catch him? And like I said the other day, where there is one, there's usually quite a few more. You could always get a large snake and feed the captives to the snake. :D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2010, 05:30:36 pm »
Ew, I'd never put the litter tray in the kitchen. It goes in the bathroom. Even when I had a teeny tiny bathroom with next to no floor space, I kept the tray in the bathtub and moved it when I wanted a bath/shower.

Aside from keeping the litter tray clean and the food and water bowls full, cats aren't high maintenance at all. They're good company too. If you get one, you'll wonder why you waited so long. I'd never be without a cat in my life again.

BTW, I'm glad to hear you got a live trap. Where are you going to release the critter when you catch him? And like I said the other day, where there is one, there's usually quite a few more. You could always get a large snake and feed the captives to the snake. :D
i was thinking of a snake, but i do not want to hire a killer.  i figure that where i live there maybe hundreds lurking about.  so a cat maybe the best bet if nothing else as a deterrent.. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.