Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 452
Total: 454

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Floaters, floaters and more floaters!  (Read 6760 times)

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
Floaters, floaters and more floaters!
« on: August 07, 2006, 12:50:48 am »
I have a gazillion floaters (those fuzzy, lint-looking things) constantly intruding upon my eyesight.  I'm 42 and have never needed glasses and my overall vision seems fine, but these things are more prevalent than ever before.  I've always seen some in my vision and don't know if, perhaps, HIV or meds (Truvada, Norvir, Reyataz) could cause an increase.  Anyone have knowlege or comments on this???  THANKS!
;0

Offline sfpvguy41

Re: Floaters, floaters and more floaters!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 12:56:42 am »
funny you should mention it.  once in a while i see them.  Mine are yellowish - are yours? wonder if it has to do with bilirubin?
Labs: (undetectable since 2005)
12/13: 634 cdr, 37.3%, 758 cd8, total chol 183, triglycerides 131
8/13: changed to Edurant from Reyataz
12/12: 828 cd4, 34.5%, 1078 cd8, total chol 192, tri 196
12/11: 787 cd4, 37%, 979 cd8.
9/11: 758 cd4, 38%, 944 cd8, und.
8/11 dropped norvir, incr reyataz to 400 mg
6/11: 621 CD4 CD4% 41, CD8 680! Undetectable. Creatinine and eGFR are ok now.
Switched from Truvada to Epzicom in late April 2011
AGT/AST and creatinine back to normal mid-April.
Cut Norvir from regimen.
Switched back to Reyataz/Norvir late Feb 2011
2/11: CD4 664 34%, CD8 963, diagnosed with osteoporosis, high AGT/AST and creatinine.
12/10: CD4: 676 CD4%: 34 CD8: 1012
Switched from Reyataz/norvir to Isentress 10/10
8/10: CD4: 731 CD4%: 40 CD8: 866
Diagnosed Sept. 2002 started meds May 2005.

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 08:33:58 am »
i have been on norvir and truvada for about one year and in that time i have had several eye inections and have since have had to get reading glasses .i am 52 yrs old and my eyesight has always been good,is it my age or is it the drugs??

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 11:32:00 am »
  I'm 42 and have never needed glasses and my overall vision seems fine, but these things are more prevalent than ever before. 

Hello Armando,

You say your vision SEEMS FINE Which tells me that you may not have had a good eye exam in a while. If that is the case, you should set up an appointment, with an opthamologist, and get your eyes checked, so you know exactly where you stand with your vision.

Your at that age !!! I started developing/noticing floaters in my early to mid-forty's, And started needing glasses in my mid-forty's.

Get yourself an Exam, and make sure you mention this to your doctor !! My floaters have actually diminished, since starting on meds.

http://www.stlukeseye.com/Conditions/Floaters.asp

Take care----------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Warren

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 10:25:36 pm »
I just came on this board for info about an HIV+ relative, but I'd like to comment on floaters. I'm HIV- and I have them and have since I was a teenager or earlier. I asked my eye doctor about them and she said they are relatively normal for many people even when they are young. Many have them but just don't see them since they are essentially seen though.... I believe an eye doctor can see them in your eye when they are doing an eye exam (not sure about this but I believe it to be so)... Sorry to jump in on this thread but I figured I'd comment since I have a lot of floaters myself....

Best of luck and Regards,

Warren
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 10:27:56 pm by Warren »

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 11:19:07 am »
Thanks for the responses folks!  The web-site was particularly informative.  I think an eye exam is in order!

Steve
;0

Offline Christine

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 06:10:13 pm »
Hi Steve,
Most floaters are benign, but there are eye problems that can occur in hiv+ people. I would recommend an appointment with an opthamologist who is knowledgeable about hiv eye diseases.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 11:05:34 pm »
I'm 50, have been blind as a bat (without corrective lenses) since junior high school, and have had floaters since childhood.  When I was bored in school (which happened a lot) I could adjust my vision so I saw only floaters but appeared to be paying attention to the casual observer. 

A few years ago an insect stung my left eye and I underwent several hours of painful inspection at the hospital since they were concerned I was also HIV+.  I never knew light could hurt so much.  During the exam one of the doctors asked me about the large number of floaters in my eyes and I truthfully told him they never bothered me. 

Sometimes if I haven't had enough sleep the floaters are more pronounced but I can still look right through them.  I also like to close my eyes and watch the floaters as they skip around and dance with my eye movements.  I guess I'm just easily amused.

Boo 
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline icheb15233

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 03:37:51 pm »
I have had floaters & bad eyesight since i was a kid. However, since becoming infected and being on meds for the better part of a decade the floaters have increased and eyesight has gotten progressivly worse. I have gone from bad eyesight and having a single sense RX at each and every eye exam to all of a sudden this year TRIFOCALS!!! not bifocals TRIFOCALS OMG I am getting OLD!!!!! LOL  I do have to say though that I also enjoy my floater friends, maybe i am also easily amused. I do believe and THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION that when you are poz you need to have yearly eye exams and keep current on your eyglass RX! 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.