Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 344
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I thought being diagnosed was the end of the world - it was not!  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Nordicguy

I thought being diagnosed was the end of the world - it was not!
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:58:08 am »
After reading through some of the posts in the Forums here, I feel extremely lucky and privileged being from a European country.  Ofcourse I wasn't lucky to contract HIV, don't get me wrong.  But with the healthcare system I have access to I am lucky.

Just over 2 months ago when I got my diagnosis I felt my whole life grinding to halt.  It was like everything was put on hold, all future travel plans, home re-decorations, just name it.  For me it was just a one day at a time, and sometime it even felt less, during those first weeks of the emotional rollercoaster I was on.  I wasn't feeling ill, can't even remember when was the last time I had a fever.  Had tested negative in early January so it clearly was a recent infection, as my CD4 and VL indicated too.  My biggest worry was how my partner of over 10 years would react.  I honestly thought I would be sleeping in the spare bedroom next night.  But to be honest, he has been my biggest support.  He got tested too and he tested negative.
Anxiety and sleeplessness kicked in as I waited for my HLA allele screening to come back.  I was later given the 'green' to start treatment with Triumeq.  To my surprise I have hardly felt any side effects.  But anxiety and sleeplessness continued despite having started on meds, now the cause was that I didn't know how well the meds were working.  But now after over a month on meds I know they are working, CD4 has risen to 423, was 250 when diagnosed.  My VL count hasn't come back yet, but am sure it has dropped quite a bit.  Now knowing things are going the right direction my anxiety is disappearing and I sleep better, and I feel overall better.  I truly think my future is bright.  Healthcare cost is not something I need to worry about, I have free healthcare.  I respond well to the meds and have a great doctor and nurse taking care of me.  And most of all a really understanding husband.  Two months ago I didn't expect to be where I am today mentally and emotionally.  Things have worked out well for me.  Now I just need to tell my friends and family, bit like coming out again, isn't it, that's a work in progress.

Just wanted to share my thoughts with you.  We are all different and come from different backgrounds and with different access to healthcare and support.  If this post can make just one newly diagnosed person feel a tiny bit better and optimistic about the future - then I'll be happy.  It's good to just sit down, take a deep breath and get our thoughts sorted.  Wish I had done that.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: I thought being diagnosed was the end of the world - it was not!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:24:56 am »
Hi

Welcome to the forum, Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but glad you are doing well and have started treatment.

First few months can be head wrecking for many, however as you get your head around the diagnosis things do settle down a bit of time and support also helps.

Take it easy.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 12:46:42 pm »
Sorry, too, to read of your diagnosis, but also glad for you that you have found these forums for guidance, support, and enlightenment.  You have a great attitude, which will help you live a long and healthy life.

After reading your post, however, I would suggest one thing:  that you don't rush into revealing your status with those who don't need to know.  Of course, you should do what you need to do for support, etc., but once you make the revelation, you can't take it back.

Take your time about this.  Think it through: be careful about to whom you reveal a private medical matter, that's all.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 04:04:34 am »
Personally I reckon my HIV diagnosis has been a blessing.
I've done all sorts of things in life, and become friends with lots of people I would not otherwise have met.

It also forced me to deal with my mental health issues that well and truly preceded my HIV diagnosis.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 01:36:33 pm »

ojo        Hello nordicguy...I'm glad you are feeling better amd recognized how lucky you are for having a good health care system, but remember, that there are lots of people who are still dying for infections related to aids, because of the lack of good health care, or for not testing themselves because of culture issuess. Let's think about them...I'm glad that your husband is supportive, you might want to take him with you to your ID doctors appoinment, so you two can talk to the doctor and learn how to have "safer" sex...I'm glad that you are leaning to live with hiv, you just need discipline in taking your pill as precribed, and a good attitude, because, it is what it is, now, we have a virus and if we want to take back control of our lives, we have to keep looking forward...best of luck for you two...hugs                                              ojo

Offline PozLawyer

• Bipolar HIV+ former DC BigLaw attorney
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 07:11:45 am »
After reading through some of the posts in the Forums here, I feel extremely lucky and privileged being from a European country.  Ofcourse I wasn't lucky to contract HIV, don't get me wrong.  But with the healthcare system I have access to I am lucky.

But now after over a month on meds I know they are working, CD4 has risen to 423, was 250 when diagnosed.  My VL count hasn't come back yet, but am sure it has dropped quite a bit.  Now knowing things are going the right direction my anxiety is disappearing and I sleep better, and I feel overall better.  I truly think my future is bright.  Healthcare cost is not something I need to worry about, I have free healthcare.  I respond well to the meds and have a great doctor and nurse taking care of me.  And most of all a really understanding husband. 

For me personally, although I was crushed when I received the diagnosis, it has led to me being healthier than ever before in my life.  Stopped drinking entirely (that took a bit, though), got my mental health issues in check, and my outlook on life is at least as positive, perhaps more so, than before I was diagnosed.  It is helpful to have supportive family and access to healthcare -- you will live just as long as everybody else.  All of us expire eventually, but these days we will expire from same thing that affect everyone else: old age.
Follow me on Twitter at @PozLawyer https://twitter.com/PozLawyer.

Diagnosed August 2014
Tivicay + Descovy, VL UD, CD4 fluctuates b/w 400-600
Married, serodiscordant.  Husband is negative.
Avid gamer (Gaymer!).  https://daggr.net/members/3696/

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 09:05:12 am »
Nordicguy...You have a great attitude and are a welcome addition to the forums.
Your words of encouragement will be of help to many of the newbies that come here so please chime in when you can.

As PozLawer said, we will all get to enjoy old age... I know I am  :)

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.