Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:49:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 383
Total: 386

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ADAP Watch List Updates September 2011  (Read 16256 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
ADAP Watch List Updates September 2011
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:02:51 am »
Sorry, I missed posting the last August update but in the last two weeks I was very busy with the AMG in Seattle, and working my ASO's agency booth at Charlotte Gay Pride and several back-to-school events at local colleges.

The crowd at Charlotte Pride was very receptive to our message about our ASO and it's services, condoms, and the ADAP crisis. Because the Charlotte ASO imploded over a year ago, my SC agency has been caring for several dozen clients from Charlotte and NC, so many people were interested in the services of Catawba Care. Part of our supplies for the event was a plastic tub filled, crammed, stuffed with safer sex packs (a sm. clear plastic bag with 6 condoms, 2 packs or lube, condom instructions, and a card with testing info) and though the event was from 12-8, by 3pm we had passed out all the packets and only had half a small basket of single condoms left to pass out. (The inital estimate is approx 30k visitors to the event! Totally amazing down here in the bible belt!!) We also gathered 265 signatures on a letter addressed to the two governors of NC and SC asking them to do their part to adequately fund the ADAP programs since there are approx. 1,300 citizens between the two states waiting for HAART.

so, without further ado, here are the ADAP waiting list numbers starting off September:

ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of September 1, 2011
9,298 individuals in 11 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Alabama21122
Florida4,02293
Georgia1,715-14
Idaho31 2
Louisiana**1,05623
Montana280
North Carolina3408
Ohio5914
South Carolina836-1
Utah501
Virginia95014

ADAP Sept. 1st Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program. This number is a representation of their current unmet need.

NASTAD has revamped their bimonthly report to include the amount of change from the previous report (a calculation I've been doing during the last year of posting), the % of the total waiting list that each state adds up to, along with the date of when each of these state started their wait list (the majority were started by mid 2010, so have been going for a full year now).
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

Re: ADAP Watch List Updates September 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 11:34:12 am »
Am I understanding correctly that Ohio only has 59 people on the waiting list?  Last month there were over 200 people waiting.  Why is the change +14 people added?  Not sure if I just don't understand the numbers (which isn't a stretch for me).

Thanks! ;)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 01:16:35 pm »
Last month there were over 200 people waiting.  Why is the change +14 people added?
9,039 individuals in 13 states, as of Aug 4, 2011
Ohio: 247 individuals (+9)
South Carolina: 896 individuals (+11)
ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of September 1, 2011
9,298 individuals in 11 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Ohio5914
South Carolina836-1

I haven't been able to access a report from mid-to-end of August which must have shown some changes in the numbers. (this was the report issued while we were in Seattle) I know at the Pride Fest, I had accessed the SC numbers so I could post them and we had 941 on the waiting list. Somewhere along the line we lost over 100 people from our list, and nearly 200 from Ohio. I haven't heard about any new monies; but obviously something happened - and thankfully it was a move in the right direction!

added: I just called my ASO and they believe the change was just from some Fed funds being released. Nothing new, just a regular fund release. They also had the link to the missing ADAP report from Aug 25 which shows a -81 and a -104 change to OH and SC respectively.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:54:55 pm »
I haven't been able to access a report from mid-to-end of August which must have shown some changes in the numbers. (this was the report issued while we were in Seattle) I know at the Pride Fest, I had accessed the SC numbers so I could post them and we had 941 on the waiting list. Somewhere along the line we lost over 100 people from our list, and nearly 200 from Ohio. I haven't heard about any new monies; but obviously something happened - and thankfully it was a move in the right direction!

added: I just called my ASO and they believe the change was just from some Fed funds being released. Nothing new, just a regular fund release. They also had the link to the missing ADAP report from Aug 25 which shows a -81 and a -104 change to OH and SC respectively.

Some people may have passed, or gotten medical insurance coverage?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 07:01:32 pm »

The trend has been showing a steady rise in Ohio for the number of people waiting, then it suddenly drops that low.  I've tried a little additional research. 

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 08:09:56 pm »
so far, as far as we have heard, only one person in SC has died on this current round of the waiting list. She passed away a few months ago.

My ASO contact got back to me after talking to the health dpt and found out it WAS some released funds that allowed them to start medicating approx 100 people here in SC, reducing the waiting list.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 11:56:48 am »
After peaking above 9000 citizens enrolled in ADAPs around the nation, there is some GOOD news concerning some of the waiting lists. Some states have been able to reduce their waiting lists thanks to the final award disbursements of Federal ADAP funds. WIth state and federal funds now in place these ADAPs/State Health Dpts are able to complete final cost-projections for the remainder of the grant year and determine how many people can be enrolled into ADAP from the wait list. Hopefully we'll continue to see some of these wait lists shrink as the states begin to treat these clients over the next few weeks.

ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of September 8, 2011
9,066 individuals in 11 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Alabama176-35
Florida4,06846
Georgia1,659-56
Idaho332
Louisiana**1,07115
Montana280
North Carolina3422
Ohio7920
South Carolina601-235
Utah522
Virginia9577

ADAP Sept. 8th Watch List
**Louisiana has a capped enrollment on their program. This number is a representation of their current unmet need.

NASTAD (http://nastad.org) has revamped their bimonthly report to include the amount of change from the previous report, the % of the total waiting list that each state adds up to, along with the date of when each of these state started their wait list (the majority were started by mid 2010, so have been going for a full year now).
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 12:29:05 pm »
There's some good news in the latest ADAP update. SC, OH, and AL have continued to lower their waiting lists thanks to the final federal ADAP disbursements for fiscal year 2011. OH has enrolled over 200 clients, SC has enrolled over 500 clients, and Alabama totally cleared their waiting list of nearly 200 clients. That's close to 1000 people with HIV who are now being properly treated. WooHoo!

However, on the sad side of the ledger, Florida continues to add 100s to their list and GA which cleared about 50 people has added another 50 to their list so they're getting nowhere fast, while VA will soon have a list with over 1000 people waiting for HIV meds.

ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of September 15, 2011
8,804 individuals in 10 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Alabama0-176
Florida4,175107
Georgia1,70950
Idaho352
Louisiana**1,08716
Montana280
North Carolina3508
Ohio21-58
South Carolina367-234
Utah5826
Virginia97417

ADAP Sept. 15th Watch List
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 01:37:57 pm »
Ah, Virginia... the state with a $545 million budget surplus.

... and they also had a surplus last year. Of course they should have decent budgets and funding seeing as how five of the top 25 wealthiest counties are in Virginia. (more than any other state)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 02:03:14 pm »
is there any sort of advocacy group in VA working with this issue? For example, several states have an HIV or ADAP Task Force that tries to coordinate rallies, along with contacting legislators about budgeting for the current ADAP crisis.

In FL they have held a couple of rallies about ADAP budgeting but with their state gov't so adamantly against receiving any federal funds, they haven't had many options but to keep pressuring their state officials until the next election. In SC, after several rallies, we did get enough officials to change their votes on the budget to partially fund ADAP which was better than their original proposal to defund ADAP entirely.

Do you know if there is anything like that happening in VA or any agency that's trying to coordinate across the state about the ADAP waiting list?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 02:39:53 pm »
Gov. McDonnell has already proposed increasing the state share of funding for fiscal year 2012. I think the 2011 fiscal year ended on June 30th so I'm not sure when this will kick in. Previous to that they had some team in the state Dept. of Health co-ordinating getting waiting list people on alternate programs through pharmaceutical companies. But still none of this should have happened even in fiscal year 2011. From what I can tell some funding was restored earlier this year after protests, but it just came out of some "general fund".

There is a regional planning council for ADAP for the DC metro area but that also oversees Northern Virginia, but not the rest of the state. I've mostly just read things that show up in The Washington Blade. Everything I seem to read on this issue in this state neglects to mention the two years of budget surpluses.

Perhaps bocker knows -- he lives in Richmond, the capital.

The bottom line is that in Virginia it's a fake crisis -- purely political, ideologically driven by Republicans in the governor's office and legislature. Shouldn't surprise anyone seeing as how Gov. McDonnel is a graduate of Pat Robertson's Regent University, with an attorney general (Ken Cuccinelli) who fixated on reversing state colleges sexual orientation non-discrimination clauses as soon as he was sworn in. Waving signs in the air about AIDS doesn't do much with this crew.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 03:37:28 pm »
Waving signs in the air about AIDS doesn't do much with this crew.
what I found that worked, at least with some of my SC Republican legislators, along with waving signs (because it takes waving signs too to prove there is public support for the cause) were cold, hard facts. The SC HIV/AIDS Crisis Care Task Force partnered with Harvard Law to do a 2-yr study and put together a report. They found that the annual costs per person with untreated HIV was $86,485, while the annual costs of treatment are $11,000.

So when the legislators were shown that, right now, it could cost $36,786,85 to annually care for the 367 people on the SC waiting list, or they could spend $4,037,000 to treat them - which also by reducing the viral load rates would lower the rate of infection in our state - several of them actually voted to increase the funding to nearly the proper amounts needed.

It clearly takes sign waving, along with personal interaction, to not only change the minds of legislators; but sometimes to simply inform them properly on an issue about which they know absolutely nothing because of their religious-driven stigma. Hopefully Virginia has at least 974 actively rallying, campaigning advocates contacting their legislators about this budgeting issue. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline DanMo

• Finally undetectable! ;D
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 04:13:39 pm »
is there any sort of advocacy group in VA working with this issue? For example, several states have an HIV or ADAP Task Force that tries to coordinate rallies, along with contacting legislators about budgeting for the current ADAP crisis.

In FL they have held a couple of rallies about ADAP budgeting but with their state gov't so adamantly against receiving any federal funds, they haven't had many options but to keep pressuring their state officials until the next election. In SC, after several rallies, we did get enough officials to change their votes on the budget to partially fund ADAP which was better than their original proposal to defund ADAP entirely.

Do you know if there is anything like that happening in VA or any agency that's trying to coordinate across the state about the ADAP waiting list?

This makes me really worried since I live in FL and am currently receiving my medicine from Welvista Pharmacy. My clinic tells me that I'll keep receiving medicine from them until I'm placed on ADAP, but that doesn't mollify my fears of Welvista's generosity running out.

- Dan
“I tried to drown my sorrows, but the bastards learned how to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good feeling.” —Frida Kahlo

11 Feb 2011 - Preliminary positive
07 Mar 11 - Inconclusive WB
14 Mar 11 - Diagnosed positive
05 Apr 11 - 355 (21%) / VL: 186,054
27 Apr 11 - 390 (20%) / VL: 285,095
06 Jun 11 - 298 (19%) / VL:  78,380
01 Aug 11 - > STARTED ATRIPLA <
30 Aug 11 - 699 (31%) / VL: 1,938
03 Nov 11 -                / VL: 645
27 Dec 11 - 559 (35%) / VL: 1,189
11 Jan 12 -                 / VL: <20
09 Apr 12 - 686 (40%) / VL: UD
11 Jul 12 - 793 (37%) / VL: 25

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 05:17:02 pm »
receiving my medicine from Welvista Pharmacy.
Welvista is a non-profit agency (out of Columbia, right here in my home state of SC. Ken Trogdon, the CEO, is just the nicest guy!) that redistributes medications which had stepped up (with some federal monies) last year to help fill in the horrible gap when Florida's ADAP program totally collapsed 3 months before the end of fiscal FY2010.

Until recently Welvista had not dealt with HIV medications but other meds (like insulin etc) that must be taken regularly. It was just this last Feb-Mar, that they officially began to distribute all HIV meds after a federal grant to the agency and a federal payment to the pharmacies for something like $25 million that would compensate them for medications that Welvista would pass out to eligible ADAP waiting list patients. The Welvista program guarantees meds for one year (on a yr by yr basis) when it signs up regular clients, although they did do a limited 3-month run for something like 8000+ clients in Florida until more funding came through. There is no guarantee that Welvista will have funding for meds for it's clients for more than the year at a time when they sign up, so I doubt your clinic should have told you that you would remain covered until Florida ADAP enrolls you - because they've got a biiiig waiting list. Welvista is doing an excellent job; but w/o financing or meds, they may not have anything to redistribute in the future.

sorry, I couldn't sound more optimistic for you; but it's a bad problem with some states - and Florida is the worst! Have you considered moving??  :D LOL (and make sure not to move to any other state with a waiting list either ;) )
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline DanMo

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 05:57:10 pm »
Sigh  :-[
“I tried to drown my sorrows, but the bastards learned how to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good feeling.” —Frida Kahlo

Offline chassc1974

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 07:26:43 pm »
I'm on the ADAP wait list in SC, but I get my meds (Complera) for free from the drug company
Infected Sept. 2010
Tested Poz Dec 2010
1200CD4, 5000vl  Jan2011
900CD4, 2500vl Apr2011
900CD4, 5000vl July 2011
Started Norvir, Truvada, Lexiva Aug 2011
800CD4 43vl Sept 2011
Started Complera Sept 2011

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:03 pm »
I'm on the ADAP wait list in SC, but I get my meds (Complera) for free from the drug company
do you get your meds thru Gilead? or Welvista?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline chassc1974

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 08:19:59 pm »
Gilead...i was taking Norvir, Truvada and Lexiva....but the side effects were causing me more health problems, but I got them free also from their respective companies. The drug companies will provide their drugs to people on state ADAP wait lists for free if they have no insurance and fall within income guildlines
Infected Sept. 2010
Tested Poz Dec 2010
1200CD4, 5000vl  Jan2011
900CD4, 2500vl Apr2011
900CD4, 5000vl July 2011
800CD4 43vl Sept 2011

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 08:35:54 pm »
The drug companies will provide their drugs to people on state ADAP wait lists for free if they have no insurance and fall within income guildlines
I've never heard of that happening before. Welvista (out of Columbia SC) has a contract with all the HIV drug manufacturers to redistribute drugs to people who have applied and are on the ADAP waiting lists. And some ASOs are providing their clients (on the waiting lists) with medications.

I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing you or don't believe you, but the drug companies just aren't giving out free meds to people on the waiting lists - otherwise why would we need ADAP, or for that matter, the waiting lists? Why wouldn't people just get their meds from the companies like you are saying? I believe that there is probably someone who is acting as the middle man for your medications. Would you mind telling me more about your situation and/or ASO? (you can PM me this info, if you don't mind), because if you're getting free meds, we need to figure out how so over 9000 other people waiting on meds, who are physically in need of meds and financially eligible for assistance, can get meds before they get sick and/or die.

thanks for any help you can give me to figure this out.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline chassc1974

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 08:47:20 pm »
I just got my Gilead card in the mail yesterday...their phone number for member services is 1800-206-7828. They give the meds for free cause they know we need them to live and we will eventually get on the program and they will make their money....The HIV clinic I go to is in a Hospital and their prescription assistance office helped me get signed up...just had to give them last years tax return and a few paycheck stubs
Infected Sept. 2010
Tested Poz Dec 2010
1200CD4, 5000vl  Jan2011
900CD4, 2500vl Apr2011
900CD4, 5000vl July 2011
800CD4 43vl Sept 2011

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 09:04:20 pm »
Thanks for that information. That's pretty damn amazing.

I still don't understand; but I'll be chatting with the staff at my ASO tomorrow to see what they know about this deal. I still think there's a catch to all this that I don't understand, otherwise all those people on the waiting lists (that use gilead products anyway ;) ) should just jump off the waiting list and grab this deal to get free meds. (which begs the question of why are you on the ADAP waiting list? :) ) I mean, why wait around while these 10 states are just gonna let you die, when Gilead will give you meds? ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline chassc1974

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 09:10:09 pm »
website for Gilead's assistance program is http://www.gilead.com/us_advancing_access

the website states:
"Gilead’s U.S. Advancing Access® program provides assistance to patients in the United States who do not have insurance or who need financial assistance.

As part of this program, Gilead provides assistance for people who cannot afford to pay for Viread® (tenofovir disoproxil fumarate) for the treatment of HIV and chronic hepatitis B; Complera™ (emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate); Truvada® (emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate) and Emtriva® (emtricitabine) for the treatment of HIV; Hepsera® (adefovir dipivoxil) for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B; and Vistide® (cidofovir injection), a treatment for cytomegalovirus retinitis in patients with AIDS.

To find out if you are eligible for this patient assistance program, contact Advancing Access® at 1-800-226-2056 between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. (Eastern)."
Infected Sept. 2010
Tested Poz Dec 2010
1200CD4, 5000vl  Jan2011
900CD4, 2500vl Apr2011
900CD4, 5000vl July 2011
800CD4 43vl Sept 2011

Offline chassc1974

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 09:14:53 pm »
there is a website where you enter the drug name you are on and it will list the info  for the drug program for that drug. RXassist.org
Infected Sept. 2010
Tested Poz Dec 2010
1200CD4, 5000vl  Jan2011
900CD4, 2500vl Apr2011
900CD4, 5000vl July 2011
800CD4 43vl Sept 2011

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 07:21:52 pm »
Mikie, Patient Assistance Program is for people who simply cannot afford the meds.  This has been around for a while.  I'm also not sure of the exact criteria to get on it.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 11:29:15 pm »
sounds like a lot of ASO's are operating under a bit of mayehm

Offline DanMo

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 02:18:11 am »
Mikie, Patient Assistance Program is for people who simply cannot afford the meds.  This has been around for a while.  I'm also not sure of the exact criteria to get on it.

Actually this is exactly what my clinic has told me that I qualify for, that PAP (Patient Assistance Program). But the bottle I get says Welvista on it...

- Dan

Offline wolfter

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 06:47:45 pm »
I spoke with Amanda from CATF here in Ohio.  Ohio no longer has a waiting list.  Extra money was allocated to resolve the funding issue.  She indicated that records currently show there are a few people on the waiting list, but that is only because they can not contact those individuals. 

That's great news at least for Ohio.  Maybe it shows a progression to changing the mindset of funding?  Perhaps other states will follow?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 07:45:24 pm »
Maybe it shows a progression to changing the mindset of funding?
was this extra Ohio funding, or the federal funds that were recently released because of the late federal budget? ???
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 12:25:22 am »
ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of September 22, 2011
8,785 individuals in 10 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Florida4,098-77
Georgia1,7323
Idaho372
Louisiana**1,11225
Montana280
North Carolina3544
Ohio9-12
South Carolina3670
Utah591
Virginia98915

ADAP Sept. 22th Watch List
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 10:28:12 am »
this last September update shows that while Ohio has cleared it's list and several other states have been able to get literally hundreds of people enrolled onto the ADAP programs; sadly several other states have continued to add to the rolls of people waiting for assistance.

ADAPs with Waiting Lists as of September 29, 2011
8,512 individuals in 9 states

STATEAMOUNTCHANGE
Florida3,905-193
Georgia1,77846
Idaho403
Louisiana**929-183
Montana13-15
North Carolina3562
Ohio0-9
South Carolina42053
Utah612
Virginia1,01021

ADAP Sept. 22th Watch List
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.