Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:24:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 607
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pneumonia and other Vaccinations  (Read 8660 times)

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
Pneumonia and other Vaccinations
« on: September 24, 2006, 02:07:43 pm »
When I was ill with PCP earlier this year, my doctor advised that there was a vaccine to stave off about 27 or so varieties of pneumonia. I was hoping to go for it this Tuesday when I meet with him for my routine labs, but now I've come down with a cold and a bit of a sore throat that's making the rounds. Have any of you been vaccinated against pneumonia? What was your CD4 count when you did? Do you feel it is, or if you didn't get vaccinated, feel it isn't something to do?

The cold aside, my CD4 is above 200 again and I think it's time to start thinking about such vaccines given that I can likely produce a few more antibodies in my present state.

(Topic updated to reflect course of the thread.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 10:17:46 am by wellington »

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Pneumonia Vaccination
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 02:17:14 pm »
HI Wellington,

I got mine last year -- my cd4 was 288 at the time.  I'm told that I should do it every 5 yrs.  I believe that you should probably wait until after your cold is gone -- but check with the doc.  BTW -- I get the flu shot every year too -- did before I tested poz and intend to continue.

Mike

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 02:27:35 pm »
Hi
My doctor recommends the pneumonia vaccination...... and the flu shot.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 02:32:25 pm »
Hello Wellington,

I have also had my Pneumonia shot. A booster is given 5 years after that. I can't tell you for sure, what my cd-4's were, when I had that shot. I have had all required shots and boosters. I alsio get the annual flu shot, when it becomes available. ( I can't remember the last time I had the flu ! ) A pneumomia shot will not protect against PCP !

I will give you 3 links though, all with simular information that you may find helpful. One is in PDf format :

http://www.thebody.com/hivatis/immunizations.html

http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/ContentFiles/Recommended_Immunizations_FS_en.pdf#search=%22Immunizations%20for%20HIV%20people%22

http://home.caregroup.org/clinical/guidelines/hiv/hivvaccine.htm#guide

I think you will find these sites helpful--------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 02:35:08 pm »
Wellington, got mine on my second visit including flu shot...  280 or so..  He said it would sting like a fucker... It did..

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 02:35:39 pm »
I got the pneumo vac a couple months ago, and the doc tells me he's gonna give me the flu shot too.  My cd4 is over 400... Never had the flu shot, nor pneumo vac... but ... *shrug* if it helps :)
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 02:40:16 pm »
I got the pneumovax . At the time my CD4 count was at an all-time low of 42

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 02:49:25 pm »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 02:53:23 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:40:30 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline wellington

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 03:20:55 pm »
Thanks all. That's helpful to know. I do get the annual flu shot, too, as it seems to help. if I get flu at all it is very mild, compared to others. Let's hoping that trend continues now that I'm poz.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 03:28:28 pm »
Can I go with you and watch Mr. macho cry like a baby?? ;)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 03:38:13 pm »
I'm like cowandalehouse, pneumonia vaccination shot every five years and flu shot every year at the end of October. 

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 09:28:17 pm »
After my first counts I had pneumonia shots + hep A and B. mY counts were: cd4 609/27.8% V.L.:15.232.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Eldon

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 09:55:33 pm »
Hey Wellington,

I get the flu shot every year.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline alive2

• i guess im having a good day
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 01:12:01 pm »
flu and pneumonia shots every fall,no matter what is how my doc wants me to get them.my cd4 is back up to 599,so i guess its good to have this option.it can only help stave off some unwanted illness,noone wants to have to begin with.take care

Offline Teresa

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 01:18:52 pm »
My hubby had a fit when i mentioned that he needs to get a flu shot this year. I have gotten a flu shot for the last 10 yrs or so and have not had a bad case of the flu. He swears up and down that he got a flu shot years ago and it gave him the flu. He says if he gets a flu shot then he will get the flu.

He can be so stubborn!

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2006, 10:12:46 am »
Hey Teresa,

I have a friend who tells me the same thing. He's wrong, of course. The flu vaccine is made up of dead flu viruses, so you can't get the flu from it. You may feel "icky" for a few days, because the body is busy making antibodies, but that's about it.

I get a flu shot every year and have had three pneumovax shots, the original and then two boosters.

As for my counts, they were between 900 and 1,300 at the time, depending on which time.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2006, 10:18:13 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:53:05 pm by Iggy »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2006, 10:19:52 am »
Mark, there are two kinds of vaccine. One is live and the other one is dead. People with compromised immune systems like all of us, must not use the live. We all gotta use the dead stuff.

The new live virus vaccine (FLUMIST), which is squirted up the nose, was licensed by the FDA in June 2003 for use in healthy individuals between the ages of five and 50. It is not recommended for pregnant women or those with asthma, chronic lung or heart disease; chronic underlying medical conditions such as diabetes or kidney disorders; immune suppression or immune system problems; children or adolescents receiving aspirin therapy, anyone allergic to eggs; or those with a history of Guillain Barre syndrome. It should not be given simultaneously with other vaccines.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 10:26:05 am by RapidRod »

Offline wellington

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 02:53:11 pm »
That's good info, Rod. Thanks.

I plan to get anothe rflu shot this year, and just awaiting most recent blood work (from yesterday) before I hop on the pneumovax needle.

Sorry to disappoint you Eric, but I won't need a shoulder to boo-hoo upon :) Needles don't scare me - having put a pitchfork through my left foot and an ardox nail through my left thumb muscle as a kid. Still got some choice scars from each. Next stop, Fear Factor *smirk*

Offline keyite

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 06:46:21 pm »
Does anyone know what the position is in the UK on these vaccinations? I have only met my HIV consultant once and she did not bring it up.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 08:01:26 am »
Hey Rod,

Thanks, I forgot about the mist. I've never known anyone who received it and it was filed in the messy basement of my mind.

You are quite correct it shouldn't be used by anyone with HIV, even those with robust health.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 11:44:45 pm »
I went for a routine lab draw today and my PCP gave me a pneumonia vaccination and is testing for Hep B antibodies to see if I need a booster. The nurses were drawing blood out of my right arm and injecting my left at the same time.

Offline wellington

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 11:51:06 pm »
Nothing like that good ole pin cushion feeling ;) There's seemingly no shortage ofshots to get when one's immune system needs a bit of support.

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2006, 11:51:25 pm »
I had the hep series three years ago, however, recently when I went to get labs done for my job it showed me neg for hep antibodies...so I have to have the whole series over  >:(
Poz since 2003.

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2006, 01:17:11 am »
I just got the Hep A, Hep B and Pneumonia vax all at once a couple of weeks ago and boyyyyy did my shoulders hurt!!!!  I also felt flu-like and ran a fever that night, so it wasn't pleasant at all, but I just do what the doc advises.  My CD-4 were about 500 and VL FINALLY undetectable.

So comforting to know others are going (or will be) through the same field of cow-pies!
;0

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2006, 02:21:53 am »
I had my Hep A and B vaccinations about 9 years ago, before I jointed the Elite Ranks of the Positive. I should probably get my Hep B GMT rechecked.

MtD

Offline rocket

Re: Pneumonia and other Vaccinations
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2006, 05:15:05 pm »
I thought once you had hep b antibodies they were for life.I got hep b thru sex and my doc said it cleared on its own.Two years ago i got the hep a vaccine and told them that I had hep b already so they didnt bother checking for antibodies for the hep b.Maybe I should get checked to see if I still have the antibodies?  I guess with the hiv,they thought the hep b was the not that important. :(

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2006, 05:24:20 pm »
I thought once you had hep b antibodies they were for life.I got hep b thru sex and my doc said it cleared on its own.Two years ago i got the hep a vaccine and told them that I had hep b already so they didnt bother checking for antibodies for the hep b.Maybe I should get checked to see if I still have the antibodies?  I guess with the hiv,they thought the hep b was the not that important.

And generally people do, but one's GMT (general mean titre) or total amount of HBV surface antibody does decline over time. This generally isn't a problem because it reamains sufficient to protect against infection. People with compromised immune systems (such as us) can require boosters to maintain immunity.

MtD

Offline rocket

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2006, 06:59:33 pm »
thanks matty,you sure are a smart dude!Ive been reading up on viral hep and learned that hep d combines with hep b to cause problems.I never hear of docs mentioning hep d,maybe because it isnt common here in the U.S of A.Most of my sex was in southeast asia so maybe i have hep E which is common there.I dont think docs do anything unless your enzyme levels are higher than normal.Ill ask my doc when I see him more about the hep D(delta virus),hep E,and about the hep b booster.Thanx  :-\

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2006, 07:29:26 pm »
thanks matty,you sure are a smart dude!Ive been reading up on viral hep and learned that hep d combines with hep b to cause problems.I never hear of docs mentioning hep d,maybe because it isnt common here in the U.S of A.Most of my sex was in southeast asia so maybe i have hep E which is common there.I dont think docs do anything unless your enzyme levels are higher than normal.Ill ask my doc when I see him more about the hep D(delta virus),hep E,and about the hep b booster.Thanx

If you're immune (either by vaccination or prior exposure) to HBV then you'll be "immune" to HDV (delta hepatits). HDV requires that you have HBV infection for it to be a problem.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.