Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:58:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 461
Total: 462

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: can we expect to get cured soon?  (Read 10238 times)

Offline hayssam

can we expect to get cured soon?
« on: June 11, 2015, 09:52:28 am »
since my diagnosed last year i tryed to listen to most of hiv conferances
it seems everything is going really fast
louis picker vaccine, antibodies and recentlt gilead is working on cure drugs

am wondering if a cure of hiv will be advertized suddenly soon? because i think the reseach is more advanced than what is declared to public

living with hiv in 3 world countries is not the same like us and canada... people need to get rid of that as soon as possible

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: can we expect to get cured soon?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 09:54:34 am »

am wondering if a cure of hiv will be advertized suddenly soon? because i think the reseach is more advanced than what is declared to public

living with hiv in 3 world countries is not the same like us and canada... people need to get rid of that as soon as possible

I do not think there will be a cure anytime soon so our goal should be to acquire the skills and knowledge to live a great life despite HIV. 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 09:59:57 am »
I don't think you should sit around planning your life as if there's a cure around the corner. Why do you think something is being hidden from the public that they'll suddenly announce tomorrow on the 6PM news? This all speaks more to your evident despondency about your recent HIV diagnosis and trust me, after being on this internet forum for almost a decade I've seen this exact same type of thinking from hundreds of other newly diagnosed people.

If you want to focus on anything it should be on getting better, more current treatments available in your own country. That will be the best hope for an improved life.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hayssam

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 10:03:18 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43P6QNKnlwQ

anthony fauci is 75 y old... listen pleasewell to what he said in congress

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 10:08:21 am »

So what does that have to do with your topic ? there is no cure in sight at this point so you better get used to living with HIV. I see from your other post you think a cure is immanent but its simply not true.   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 10:19:27 am »
Unfortunately there will not be a cure.
I am fifty now and would rather live the next five to ten years being able than live long being superannuated with no family.
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 10:24:32 am »
Unfortunately there will not be a cure.
I am fifty now and would rather live the next five to ten years being able than live long being superannuated with no family.

You can live a full life with HIV. I have been poz for over 30 years and I am not special so if I can do it you can too. I made this far from a time when there were no treatments at all so you newly infected people will go on to have far less complications than we did and that means you are going to be OK . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 10:26:02 am »
Love ya, Jeff.
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 10:26:52 am »
Love ya, Jeff.

Love you too Dan the man !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 11:00:06 am »
I consider myself functionally cured.  :)  And as I've witnessed in my personal life recently, known of us know what the future holds or doesn't.  It does no good to dwell in the negative aspects of the unknowns.  We all die, just don't know when. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Denvaux

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 12:01:08 pm »

No,  in my opinion there will next to never be a cure for HIV infection once infected; and those of us that have it will have to live with it, manage  it for a life time with hopefully ever improving drugs- but let us be thankful that such drugs are available to us.  As to those that have yet not been infected with HIV, I am sure that there will be a preventative vaccine that will save many millions from our plight and I suspect that that day will be soon.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 01:23:08 pm »

? Ok daft me, I actually pressed on the link listened and waited but nothing.
Not a clue what or how this ties into anything.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:25:55 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline titik

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 02:19:39 pm »
A 'cure' will probably be too expensive for developing countries first anyway, kinda like the Hep C situation. From what I understand, what we have now with all the advanced HAART regimens, is pretty much a functional cure so we are already living in the future.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 03:03:15 pm »
I think there is too much emphasis, by some folks, on a cure, that ignores the state of HIV in the 21st Century.  We have drugs now, that require only a single or few pills per day, to keep our HIV under control.  Contrast today to the mid-90s when PIs were introduced and many of those required 6-8 pills per day, per drug.  Controlling HIV with those drugs, often involved multiple drugs and it was not unusual for someone to be taking up to 30 pills per day, just to control their HIV.

Truvada has proven to not only be an effective drug to control HIV, but is also very effective in protecting millions of sexually active adults, against HIV infection.  In one sense, these are "cures", in that they allow us to live and be sexually active while protecting the health of others.

Throughout the pandemic which is HIV, I have always believed that the only thing worse than no hope, is false hope.  In my mind, too many folks focus on the term "cure", which blinds them to the fact that we have "cures" that surround us today.

Joe

Offline Denvaux

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 03:53:35 pm »
The above post takes me back to Amsterdam in the summer of 1995.  A friend of mine who is sadly no longer alive today- he didn't make the winter of that same year - was a case in point;  each morning I was dumbfounded as I watched him one after the other take at least  25 maybe 30 pills to fight this thing. I thought at the time that witnessing that alone would be enough to keep me from taking risks, but here I am 20 years later taking one pill a day    >:(

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 04:17:29 pm »
When I first started taking treatment in early 1996, it was ten huge pills (in two groups of five) that were the consistency of pressed beach sand, and exploded into granules of foul-tasting sand as soon as they hit your tongue... and that was just one med! The other two were two pills each, times two doses, so that was 18 pills just in HAART. Originally, I took the sand-med in three groups of three, but that meant four separate meds times throughout the day.

On top of all that, those pills gave me explosive runs literally 10-15 times a day, and almost continuous gas-- which I could not tell every time was going to be gas or liquid.

I finally got so frustrated that I told my doctor I'd rather be dead than take them. Thankfully, some better stuff soon came online and I was able to get on a regimen that only made me want to vomit all the time. Heh.

We've come a long way, baby!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:20:55 pm by Richie_R2 »
Richie "R2". the Rocket Surgeon

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 04:18:41 pm »
I still take 20 pills a day.  :-X
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 05:24:06 pm »
When I first started taking treatment in early 1996, it was ten huge pills (in two groups of five) that were the consistency of pressed beach sand, and exploded into granules of foul-tasting sand as soon as they hit your tongue... and that was just one med! The other two were two pills each, times two doses, so that was 18 pills just in HAART. Originally, I took the sand-med in three groups of three, but that meant four separate meds times throughout the day.

On top of all that, those pills gave me explosive runs literally 10-15 times a day, and almost continuous gas-- which I could not tell every time was going to be gas or liquid.

I finally got so frustrated that I told my doctor I'd rather be dead than take them. Thankfully, some better stuff soon came online and I was able to get on a regimen that only made me want to vomit all the time. Heh.

We've come a long way, baby!

You haven't lived unless you took liquid Norvir.  Its taste was a combination of gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel.  It took a whole mouth, full of Rolos, to get that nasty stuff down.  DDI was another treat.  Think Alka-Seltzer type tablets that you could either dissolve in water or chew the buggers.  If you chewed them though, they would suck all the saliva out of your mouth and they tasted awful.

My greatest pill count was 72.  Two PIs I took, were 6 pills twice a day, so that was 24 pills for those two drugs alone.

Ah, the good old days.  :o

Joe

Offline Denvaux

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 05:40:04 pm »
Those of you that got through the hell of those early days of HIV treatment have what I call a special gift... call it strength, call it courage... I don't know what to call it, but it's something that I don't believe I have, as I doubtless would have class A drug and drank myself to death had I been HIV+ 20 years ago rather than go through that, as  I prefer easy- and up to now- for now at least, it's easy.  So long as I control my nutty head  ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:50:41 pm by Denvaux »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 06:24:38 pm »
Those of you that got through the hell of those early days of HIV treatment have what I call a special gift... call it strength, call it courage... I don't know what to call it, but it's something that I don't believe I have, as I doubtless would have class A drug and drank myself to death had I been HIV+ 20 years ago rather than go through that, as  I prefer easy- and up to now- for now at least, it's easy.  So long as I control my nutty head  ;)

While you might call it strength or courage, for many of us, we simply wanted to live.  I did anything and everything, to keep me alive in hopes of new drugs.

Joe
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:28:59 pm by Joe K »

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 06:43:08 pm »
Joe - I think you win! I owe you a drink.

Unless someone else has a better total? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 07:49:14 pm »
I've been thinking a lot about this quote, mulling it over in my mind since I read it:

While you might call it strength or courage, for many of us, we simply wanted to live.

I've always had a fascination with military history (took extra courses so I could minor in that as well as in the chemistry minor required for my pre-med biology degree), and have read more accounts of bravery on and near the battlefield than I could possibly count.  I've noted that "heroism" tends to be a term others use, and always in retrospect, about the actions of men and women who simply said, "I wasn't trying to be a hero. I was just trying to do whatever it took to survive, and to keep my brothers alive."

We find courage when we're called upon to find it. Or we don't. Some gave up. It can be very difficult even for the most naturally-courageous person; for someone who is not naturally bold/brave, it can feel almost insurmountable, I am sure. That makes those who did find the strength to summon up their courage and keep fighting (as we all know, maintaining HAART is not as easy as just taking some pills, let alone in the Bad Old Days when it was like taking a knife to a gunfight) are just that much more brave.

So hats off to you who did.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 03:57:27 am »
No,  in my opinion there will next to never be a cure for HIV infection once infected; and those of us that have it will have to live with it, manage  it for a life time with hopefully ever improving drugs- but let us be thankful that such drugs are available to us.  As to those that have yet not been infected with HIV, I am sure that there will be a preventative vaccine that will save many millions from our plight and I suspect that that day will be soon.

Next to never? You do know that there is a guy that was cured, right?.. Although not the route many of us want to take as it almost killed him but it is an example that it can be done.. may take several years but I believe it will come.

and yes, HIV meds are awesome and pretty damn close to a cure.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 07:23:35 am »

Yes this is important to take into account.

Sometimes on this Forum people make a mistake and there are discussions that don't take into account that people have different experiences on the ground.

But to get to your thread title, no you should not expect a cure soon.

And yes, I would also guess the so called "cure" is going to a complicated procedure and once again poor countries and poor people will get it LAST.   So if you are in a developing nation, all the more reason to skeptical that a "hope for a cure" is the way forward to a liveable life without the cure.

What Miss P said.  The end of the day you must put action into getting better treatment and more combos, NOW. That will tangibly improve living with HIV.  However, I don't know how citizens in poorer countries can begin to fight for the latest drugs.   >:( :-X :-\ :-\ :'(
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hayssam

vancouver next month
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2015, 09:18:56 am »
i think there will be big surprises during the IAS in Vancouver
they are preparing new vaccines and new tools to achieve the remission .. when someone will be able to stop taking drugs..

Offline POZ Forum Moderators

• Global Moderator
Re: vancouver next month
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2015, 09:53:41 am »
they are preparing new vaccines and new tools to achieve the remission .. when someone will be able to stop taking drugs..

Please keep all of your post and thoughts on your hope for a cure in one thread, it will be easer for you to keep track of it all in one place.
The POZ Forums Moderator Team

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 11:04:28 am »
Hayssam

What I think we're all trying to tell you is simple. "Hope for the best, expect and prepare for the worst." In our particular realm, that applies as assuming not one new thing will ever happen, in terms of how we treat our condition. Get on the best treatment that's available now, stick to it carefully, and take care of your health because you cannot count on more/newer/better coming out.

That said, we do not despair because new meds have been coming out all the time which are better than their predecessors. As for other innovations, the science is advancing but there have been numerous problems, and so the long-promised "cure" seems no closer today than when the word was first used, except that we have a much better idea of what does NOT work. I am still hopeful about the stem cell CD4+/(CCR5+) replacement therapies and the viral-activation triggers to flush inert virus out of its reservoirs where it can be killed by HAART. Personally, I'm terrified of a vaccine because those do not work on people already infected, and I think the development of one would make us a Very Low Priority in terms of developing new treatments and/or cures. :(

So like I said, prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Live life!

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: vancouver next month
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 02:18:18 pm »
most of these things are in early stages so studies and trials will take decades yet. HIV is a retrovirus and the cure is going to be very very hard to create.

as someone who has lived with HIV for over 30 years, and nearly every year heard or read about something that was "sure" to be the cure (but which, of course, all turned out to NOT be the cure) while thankfully they improved the meds we already have, let me give you a great piece of advice - quit worrying, thinking, or even caring about a cure. worry about enjoying today. worry about what job you'll have in 10 yrs. worry about how you'll manage your household when you retire. worry about who you'll have sex with or who you'll fall in love with. Worry about having access to health care and meds. Worry about living your life.

on the list of worries, put "stressing about an HIV cure" dead last because every minute you spend desiring a cure is wasted time.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline geobee

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2015, 02:35:17 pm »
My "top 4" are:

T-Cell modification therapy -- this is being led by Sangamo.  From what I've heard, the results aren't very impressive.  One person has become UD, others are at lower set points.  But this is hardly a home run.

Stem-cell modification therapy -- this is being led by CalImmune and Sangamo.  CalImmune knocks out CCR5/X4/and does some other tricks inside the stem cell.  The chemo is required for engraftment and that makes your hair fallout.  They told me, since I'm bald, that I was the "perfect candidate!"  I may be DQ'd, tho, b/c of white blood cell counts.

Picker's HIV/CMV therapy -- Oregon Health Sciences Institute.  He's cured 50% of a small sample of monkeys.  Not bad!  Hopefully he can translate this to humans and figure out what's happening with the other 50%.

Various "Shock and Kill" strategies -- using something to wake up the virus, then activating the immune system to kill virus.  A lot of groups are trying this (Lalezari, Deeks, Margolis, Siliciano) so there must be something to it.

I can't see any other these curing HIV in 5 years with the exception of the CalImmune trial.  That has the possibility of being a one-time, one-shot cure.  All of this is must my opinion, of course.

In the meantime -- as has been said -- take meds.  Stay adherent.  Be grateful for those who came before you.  Say a prayer for those who have died.  Enjoy life.

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2015, 02:53:40 pm »
Well-said, both of you.

Geobee - Nice analysis and summary. #2 and #4 are the two to which I was referring.

Leatherman - Right on. Right on! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline Matts

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 03:52:47 pm »
A small gene therapy trial starts 2016 in Berlin. It was co-developed with an American University. A lot of people worked on it in the last decade. Nobody knows if it will be successful; has to do something with CCR5 and the T. Brown thing.
But even it is successful, it will take a decade to make it available. We will see.

Anyway, there are some new meds on the horizon. I would not worry too much :)
Dovato

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 07:20:32 pm »
What doesn't seem to sink into people awareness and consciousness here is that the sometimes side-effect free combos rich citizens have are not available to poor people. I am not up on it but I get the impression millions are still on, at best generic artipla, and at worst, even older drugs.  Which are difficult to manage for some people, on a day to day basis.
Combine that with general under-treatment of all health matters, and ever present stigma, and one can imagine the burden of living with HIV on the ground varies greatly in this world.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hayssam

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2015, 01:04:22 am »
you are right mech in poor countries we still take the old drugs that include effavirenz as generic drugs
i have to mention that stigma and homophobia increase mental illness side effects witch does not fit to prescribe atripla.
the worse is that when people stop taking this drug they develop resistance, and there is no other choice anymore... i simply watch them dye in a very horrible way

Offline hayssam

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2015, 01:24:45 am »
this is unfair ... the guy who infected me came from montreal canada and he has drugs with no side effect. while i have to accept that my country is poor and can't provide the medication
an HIV positive gay man who came from europ or us then infect any person in underdeveloped country is killing that person after he returns home
this guy was my ex partner

Offline Richie_R2

• Felonious Vector
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2015, 07:54:45 am »
It's the same in U.S. prisons; I was on a regimen that included AZT throughout almost my entire residence there. They even tried putting me on Atripla for a while, even though I had proof in my own files that I was resistant to Sustiva, one of its components!

I do wish you'd try to be a bit more positive, no pun intended. You can fight for your health and still have a good chance of survival, even if it's not as easy as it is for some.

A fatalistic outlook may lead to more dangerous outcomes, and vice-versa.

Offline Matts

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2015, 04:17:55 pm »
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/dolutegravir_PEPFAR_1667_27333.shtml

I think this was very interesting: Generic Tivicay for the poorest countries. I hope that it is not only a markeing gag.

But not a relief for Hayssam, the Lebanon is not poor enough to be a PEPFAR country. :(

Come on USA, European Union, GSK and ViiV- Give cheap generic Triumeq to all poor countries!  Not only these old drugs that nobody wants to take in the western world.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:27:55 pm by Matts »
Dovato

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.