Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:12:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 147
Total: 148

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sustiva Truvada to Truvad Isentress not good!  (Read 7346 times)

Offline 14brasil

Sustiva Truvada to Truvad Isentress not good!
« on: January 04, 2010, 09:38:50 pm »
Hello everyone here is my experience with Isentress.
First, I have been on Sustiva Truvada for Four years. My first day on those 2 drugs was terrible, so bad that I didn’t think that I was going to be able to take it again. But after coming to this site and reading what everyone had to say I took them the second night, the third, and up to 2 months. During that time I learned how I needed to take them.    Which was at night on an empty stomach. I also knew that needed to be very tired so that after taking the meds I would sleep. If not they would keep me awake because I would be so drugged that I would get agitated. The mornings where tough always like a hang over. But after then I would be ok. I could exercise work, eat, function normal. But the nights where difficult.
So my doctor says that he thought that it would be good for me to change to
Isentress.
For the first Month my side effects where to difficult to handle. I was always felling drugged out. Very sleepy. Working was very difficult because I couldn’t think. So doc says go back on Sustiva. So I waited about 5 days. First night back was like the first time that I had taken Sustiva. The second night I truly thought that I was going to die. It was as if I had over dosed. Scared me too much to try again.
So I am now back on Isentress. Still having sleepiness also was having panic attacks, which I have never had before. That has gone away somewhat.  Exercising is very difficult because of the lack of energy. I have also been very down.
 Now I will say that I have gotten a little better. So I am hopping that I will get back to normal.
Any input would be great.

Also I don’t know how much this is related. But I have extreme Vertigo when I am driving. Mostly on Freeways. Around town I can handle it but when I am on Freeways I feel like I am going to pass out. I am now noticing it when I am on my bike. This did start before I made the change to Isentress and I had the same thing about a year ago and then it just went away.
Is this stress related? I don’t know all I know is that when this happened before I never thought about it. I just go in the car and drove, Then BAM I would feel like passing out.
Now I think about it.

Offline atlq

Re: Sustiva Truvada to Truvad Isentress not good!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 07:00:18 pm »

I have been on Isentress for a year and a half, and for me it has easily been the easisest drug to take(both in terms of ease and lack of side effects). I'd discuss your symptoms with your doc, but my gut tells me its not the drug...
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline beefbud

• just some flesh caught in this big broken machine"
    • cubster dot com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:48:05 am »
Im sorry to hear the problems you are having.
Oddly enough what you say you experienced on Isentress is exactly what I went through being on Sustiva.
I have to agree with Atlq, Isentress has been a very easy med for me to take and I have experienced no side effects from it.  I am not saying everyone will react the same just like I didn't when I was on Atripla.
Everything I read about Isentress really didn't touch upon CNS side effects so it would be very curious to see if thats whats truly causing it.

I hope you figure it out quickly and are able to get a good nights sleep again.
"first impressions are cheap auditions"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:06:26 pm »
14brasil, it sounds like you're having a lot of anxiety problems, that you're probably going to have whichever med you take, until you deal with it (the anxiety).  I suggest you see someone (like a good counselor) about it, try to work through your issues, then relax, take the meds, and let them work.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline buffaloboy

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:16:20 pm »
I'm a bit confused by this thread as I was under the impression that Sustiva was the only drug which impacted on  the central nervous system.

Have I got that wrong?

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 06:02:34 pm »
Efavirenz is the common one but there have been a few reports with nevirapine, etravirine (both NNRTIS like efavirenz), Isentress (an entry inhibitor) and several PIs.

All kinds of drugs cause rare and common reactions, and it is important to remember this. Also, with new drugs like Isentress, one mustn't get too hasty about stating the rull range of side effects. These usually emerge after the drug is approved when lots of people start taking them. Isentress is too new to present a fullly rounded picture of its bad points.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline 14brasil

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:36:41 pm »
Thanks for the replys so far. Went to my prime doc. She thinks that the Vertigo is either Truvada or stress.
Like I had said before I was on Sustiva Tuvada for 4 years before the move to Isentress. I had the same side effects from the Sustiva that many had. Night time dreams, achy body, being on edge at times, ect...
I also had the Vertigo while on Sustiva so I dont think its related to Isentress.
But I do want to clear something up, I really dont think my problems are related to stress. I dont stress about taking meds. I dont like to take meds but I dont stress. Not even when I was taking Sustiva. I only did once after going back on Sustiva and having such a bad reaction.
When I told that Isentress didnt have any side effects or minimal, I was looking forward to the change.
Even the Vertigo I was never stressed about it. When I got into the car I never even thought about it.
To be honest I do know.
But I am not stressed about Isentress. It just makes me sleepy, not a bad druged out feeling that I would get from Sustiva. After about 3 hours the feeling goes away then about 4 pm iam bunt out. Again I just want to sleep. One other thing my skin is getting very dry. Mostly on my legs.
I am hopeful that this will go away. I remember my first year on Sustiva was the worst. Then I was pretty normal after that.
One other thing is that I do have a lot of allergies. This could just be an allergic reaction.
One last thing on stress, if this is all just stress related, and I know that I am not a stressful person, even though I know that I can get stressed out, or maybe a better word would be worried about something, why is my reaction so strong, as to getting vertigo? 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.