Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:58:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Medica HIV insurance in Canada  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Valmont

Medica HIV insurance in Canada
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:39:34 am »
I wanted to know if there some private medical insurance in Canada, that cover HIV/AIDS?  In which conditions?

Also, I wanted to know how people with treatment afford it and paid for it in this country?

Thank you (and sorry for bad English)
Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline le_liseur

Re: Medica HIV insurance in Canada
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:08:53 pm »
If you are already under a private plan and were infected while on it, they will have to cover your meds. If you are looking for a private plan by yourself, and you already are HIV+, it'd be naive to believe an private company will sign you. But the same applies to people with other chronic conditions...

If you are get a job from a big corporation or from a public institution (school, hospitals, police departments, etc.), you will have the opportunity to sign for private insurances under your group plan, and as far as I know, they do not ask you medical questions once you sign for it. They might or will ask some if you plan to change stuff later on, and you might not be able to modify your plan (so the best is usually to take as much as possible from the start (i.e. dental insurances, life insurance, etc.)

If you can not get a private coverage of your meds, it will be covered by the public insurance (in Quebec). I do not know about the other provinces, it should be similar, but might be different.

And then again, you might be able to get covered from your spouse, or parent's plans.

Which province did you have in mind when asking your questions?

(Just a note : under the public insurance plan in Quebec, only the drugs listed by the government as 'coverable' can be covered by this plan. I believe most HIV drugs are covered, unless maybe the new ones under studies...
I just checked, since the document is available, and Atripla, for example, is covered, and it costs the government 1165,41$ for a 30 pills bottle.)

Offline Valmont

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:43:07 pm »
Thanks a lot, Le_liseur, I´m thinking about Quebec...  The details you gave me are very useful.  Actually, I´m trying to migrate to Quebec, I have the Selection Certificate for Quebec, but I will have to fullfill Federal gov. requerements (the matter is about my health cost for Canadian system in the next 10 years, my visa will depent of it...).  If I have to take Atripla, sure they won´t give me the visa because of the cost, except if I can finance the medecine in another way than public system...  For now, I have no idea of my numbers, I´m waiting for the results...

Actually, I don´t have private insurance that cover HIV medics, in southamerica where I live, the public system pay for analyses, doc and generic medics.... but I want to leave !!!  I believe this might be quite expensive in Canada and I was not so sure about the couvertures.   
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:09:28 am »
Well, if you are not already on meds, and your numbers are good, you could be fine. Usually, you're  considered as expensive burden on canadian health system if you are already on meds, but if you are not, and if your numbers are high, you would still have a few years before starting meds, so this shouldn't be a problem. "Normally".

Now, if you get here, once you are here, it will depend on what you plan to do as a job and if you can get private med-insurance of your workplace, or family/spouse. If not, if you're granted citizenship, well, you'll simply be on public healthcare. No matter what, once you get here, you will have to be on a med-insurance plan, be it private or public. So if you don't have anything and you can't get on none, you'll probably be on the public healthcare, unless there is a specific, special plan for people who just immigrated to Quebec.

Just in case, here is the public healthcare website, which might explain some stuff to you (you can click the English version in the right corner, if you need it) : http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/fr/citoyens/assurancemedicaments/index.shtml

Offline Valmont

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 02:09:26 am »
I plan to go to Quebec with my familly, they will go 6 months to a year after, time for me to organizate everything and get a good job...  I will have to find insurance for me and my familia.  That is important to know for now that the best is to enter into a corporative plan with my family.

Many thanks for the link...

Offline karry

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 06:02:47 am »
Hi Val
If you do get accepted into Canada by the federal government (if you're test results indicate you wont be a huge financial burden to the government within the first 10 years  and you are not yet on meds), then you only need private insurance for the first three months of your stay in Quebec, and so does any member of your family. After three months, you will be covered by the provincial health insurance, unless you get a job, then you are covered by your work health insurance.

Do not worry so much about it. I keep praying you get good numbers in your cd4 and vl tests so that you can be reassured that when you get here on the health plan you're gonna be fine.

Take care.
p/s I am really sad to learn you had to give up rugby. I feel that was not fair to you at all.
Karry
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.