Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:00:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773155
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 191
Total: 192

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The US to the UK  (Read 6265 times)

Offline xtente

The US to the UK
« on: June 14, 2007, 11:14:55 am »
I am moving from the US to the UK and want to know what I can do about getting meds there. I am a US citizen and my spouse is a UK citizen. I am currently on adap and am scared to death i wont be able to get meds over there. Anyone have any info on this? My issue is how to pay for meds. and, if you move to the UK from the US and are hiv + do they give you a hard time?

Offline o

Re: The US to the UK
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 11:37:41 am »
hello xtente
I do not exactly know the British situation, but as far as i know, health care is free in England. So are the medicines i suppose. Or i can say that they wont let anyone die. And being HIV+ is a personal info. i do not think you have to give this info to any governmental institution. At least as far as i know, the hospitals do not give any info about their patients to any governmental authorities. That's what i guess living very close to UK.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 12:23:54 pm »
NHS entitlement is completely separate from citizenship (which confers very little in the UK).

NHS treatment is free for anyone who is "ordinarily resident".  This means someone who has lived in England legally for 12 months or more, or can show they are entitled to live here permanently and intend to do so.

The key here is your spouse.

If your spouse has lived overseas for longer than 3 months, then the NHS will ask for proof from your spouse of an intention to settle permanently back in England.  Once this is sorted, s/he will be entitled to free NHS care...and so will you as this entitlement is extended to spouses, civil partners and children (so the NHS may ask for proof you are married too). 

If your spouse is already living here then NHS care will be free straight away.

More generally, medicines prescribed at hospitals, which currently includes HIV clinics and therefore ARVs, are free, while medicines prescribed by a GP and collected from a community pharmacy have a small charge per item (currently £6.95 I think). There are various schemes to exempt poor people, old people + some meds for some conditions from all or part of this charge.

Hope this helps

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 01:08:55 pm »
How sensible and humane the whole thing sounds.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 01:16:32 pm »
Well, I think the civil partner part is new.  IIRC it wasn't in effect when I was planning on moving to London in 2001, or am I incorrect with that newt?

But yes, it is horribly civil.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 01:34:10 pm »
                                  WANTED:

One Englishman for civil union. Prefer proper country squire but will 
            consider all options. Available immediately. Must love dogs.

~ Dachshund

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 01:57:43 pm »
So how would a "UK to US'' thread read?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 02:01:19 pm »
like a really bad joke

Offline xtente

the UK to US thread would read DO NOT ENTER
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 02:07:18 pm »
From what I understand, the US does not allow citizenship of any sort to immigrant with HIV. Draconian to say the least.

Offline keyite

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 02:08:43 pm »
Kinda sad isn't it? Despite Bush's grand announcement on World AIDS Day 2006 we're STILL waiting for the easing of the outright ban on HIV+ tourists visiting the US. No mention, of course, of doing something about the ban on people wishing to migrate there.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 02:50:18 pm »
I do, however, know someone from Mexico who met his boyfriend in 1989 while the bf was on vacation in the Yucatan.  The Mexican guy came here on a tourist visa and just didn't return.  I know he has had a green card since the early 90's and is here legally now, though I don't know the details about how that came about.  He's also self-employed and I'm sure he gets his HIV meds though ADAP, so it's doable though obviously quite contorted.

I assume however he was negative when he first came here though.  Sadly his older brother in Mexico also got AIDS and didn't last long in their dusty village back home.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 03:03:06 pm »
Matt provides a good overview of the requirements.  The only thing I would tweek is the requirements for "ordinarily resident."  I think it may be more broad.

NHS treatment is free for anyone who is "ordinarily resident".  This means someone who has lived in England legally for 12 months or more, or can show they are entitled to live here permanently and intend to do so.

You are also entitled to NHS care even if you don't intend to live in the UK permanently, (e.g., someone moving to the UK on a 1 or 2 year work permit/hsmp, need not show proof that they will reside in the UK past the expiration of that work permit/hsmp visa to access NHS care).

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
Re: the UK to US thread would read DO NOT ENTER
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 03:19:13 pm »
From what I understand, the US does not allow citizenship of any sort to immigrant with HIV. Draconian to say the least.
No, the US does not allow non-residents to enter the country if they are HIV positive, unless they have a waiver. If you acquire HIV in the US after becoming a legal resident (green card), the process of applying and getting citizenship does not include the HIV test again.

Of course, this may change any time.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 04:05:11 pm »
                                  WANTED:

One Englishman for civil union. Prefer proper country squire but will 
            consider all options. Available immediately. Must love dogs.

~ Dachshund

if you would accept an englishwoman who lives in a city instead i offer my services

your humble english servant
xxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 04:13:08 pm »
if you would accept an englishwoman who lives in a city instead i offer my services

your humble english servant
xxx

If you will accept a dog-eared ol' yank...agreed! ;D

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 05:54:42 pm »
Well, I think the civil partner part is new.

Civil partnership bit is new, yes (but good).

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.