Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:09:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 494
Total: 496

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 10 Trizivir for US $242.33 (including tax!)  (Read 6455 times)

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
10 Trizivir for US $242.33 (including tax!)
« on: December 30, 2006, 02:59:48 pm »
I was thrilled this morning at Walgreens when I tried to pick up my Trizivir prescription and the clerk told me the cost was $1400 plus change.  I qualified for Ryan White funding in 2006 and if I weren't such a lazy bastard should have applied after my SSD award letter arrived 2 weeks ago.   My Ryan White funded prescription ran out last night so I brought the prescription my doctor gave me Thursday to Walgreens, my Medicare covered pharmacy plan.  The co-pay should have been $50 but now I wonder if a prescription for 30 days wouldn’t be covered due to the calendar date: 12/29/06. 

I asked the clerk to dispense 10 pills since it’s a 3 day weekend and I hope it takes only 2 extra days to straighten this out. 

There go my plans for hedonistic extravagance in St. Tropez tomorrow night!

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Tucsonwoody

Re: 10 Trizivir for US $242.33 (including tax!)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 03:10:21 pm »
Hello Boo -

As someone pretty new to getting medication, I have been shocked by some of the prices that they retail for.  Sorry you are not going to be able to sun yourself in St Tropez and party all night.

One other thing - if you have to deal with the federal and maybe state government, it is a 4 day weekend due to the funeral for former President Ford.  All federal offices will be closedTuesday..I think.

Good luck

Kevin
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 03:21:46 pm »
12/29/06 is still calendar year 2006
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 03:26:52 pm »
12/29/06 is still calendar year 2006

I know.  What I meant is that maybe a 30 day supply was not approved because the date (12/29/06) was so late -- 1/1/07 starts a new coverage year so the cheapskates wouldn't want me to benefit from coverage if there is a chance I'll have different coverage in 2007... I think.

Boo

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 03:33:20 pm »
Sounds odd.  I've never had a problem getting anything filled via Ryan White/ADAP during the last days of any calendar year. 

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 09:53:32 pm »
Yes, I AM Supporting You!

Hey Boo...

Now don't this beat ALL with the current coverage that you have. I AGREE with Philly267 that it IS within the same calender year. So what is the issue? There has got to be some sort of blip in this scenario. I would follow this up if I were you.

Don't You Dare Give Up... Don't You Dare Give In...
BECAUSE It IS ALL Within YOU to WIN!!!

Offline Bartro

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 11:14:28 pm »
It's a good idea to try to build a bit of reserve of medications.  I go to a smaller neighborhood pharmacy (Walgreen's here is a real nightmare).  The pharmacist said that there is a couple of days of leeway in which you can get your prescriptions filled.  I've been on Sustiva/Truvada combination for about eight months.  I reserved two doses each month by getting the prescription refilled as soon as allowed.  That gives me about two weeks of reserve.  The doctor switched me to Atripla in the middle of December, I still had some Truvada and Sustiva left which I finished.  Now I have almost a months supply of Atripla in reserve.  I might be a little paranoid but I'm afraid of some sort of disaster, snow storm, fire, chemical leak, terrorist attack or the like that could leave me without.  I can't get the picture of those people in New Orleans out of my mind.  The meds are all together in a box that would be the first thing I'd grab if I'd have to "get out".  My pharmacy bill this year totals $11,800 dollars.  Most is covered by my insurance and ADAP has covered most of the copayments.  If I had to pay for these myself or even half the cost I'd surely be in deep trouble.

Atripla retail for 30 tablets $1160.12

4/27/2006 Vl 40,800  CD4 339-17%         Platelets 1000
05/5/2006                                           Platelets 26000
06/1/2006 Vl 181       CD4 342-19%        Platelets 27000
08/4/2006 Vl <50       CD4 301-20%        Platelets 31000
11/2/2006 Vl <50       CD4 364-23%        Platelets 38000

Rusty

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 11:49:47 pm »
Barto -

Some good ideas for us other paranoid people :)  It is awful what drugs retail for isn't it.  The Valcyte I was taking was quoted as around $4,000 and had to get a special okay from my insurance company, which is always sooooo easy.  When I was picking up my meds one day the lady behind me said her husband takes one medication that costs Medicare $11,000 a month.  I take Atripla too and at my Walgreens a 30 day supply is $1,400, good thing insurance knocks that down to $35.

Another good reason for congress to allow Medicare to negotiate with the drug companies...IMHO.  Anyway, don't want to hijack this thread into whining bout my meds and the state of medical costs in the US of A.

Thanks again,

Kevin
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 01:22:29 am »
Hi Boo,

Had to do a double check but a bottle of Trizivir is priced at $1200, plus a few bucks.  At least that is what my pharmacy provider charges Medicare and ADAP.  Since the Medicare Donut hole began, I have been told twice that I could not leave the pharmacy with almost $3,000.00 in pills and no payment.  I spent hours on hold w/Walgreens to get a representative.  I reminded that her employer spwent a lot of their money marketing to me and if I am ever inconvenienced, my pharmacy and medical provider is inconvenienced, I will change pharmacy providers.  I got my meds.

I have been altering the refill dates.  Order a few days earlrier than usual, put a dosage or two aside for a rainy day.  The cost of the monthly meds is almost 3 X's my income.  Can't take chances when the government is involved.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 02:41:50 am »
Oh yeah... I always refill my mine as early as usual to build up a reserve.  Been doing that for over a decade.  I can fill mine five days early.

Everyone should REALLY do this.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 04:14:13 am »
Drug companies market medical providers by leaving free samples of their products.  I have been treated at 3 HIV clinics over the past 10 years, each has a "drug closet" of samples.  There may be a supply at your clinic for emergencies.  Never hurts to ask.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 06:21:01 am »
Boo,

If this has indeed happened because of the fact that although purchased in 2006, you will be using them in 2007, well, try telling them that since hiv is a retrovirus, you take your meds retroactively and therefore they have no right doing what they're doing.

Um, yeah, sorry, probably not helpful - unless I made you smile. I hope you get this sorted out and soon.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 11:07:35 pm »
Um, yeah, sorry, probably not helpful - unless I made you smile. I hope you get this sorted out and soon.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx

It did make me smile at the absurd notion I could ever be anything but a doormat!  ;)

After evening perambulations with the pooches I'm heading to my conveniently located Walgreens to pick up some non-HIV meds and ask them to check what my copay will be on a new 30 day prescription.  Assuming it's $50 I'll get the pills and pursue Ryan White again, although I'm not sure about how changes to Medicare might affect Ryan White.  This year it appears the Medicare annual cap of $3000 for non-preferred drugs like Trizivir is no longer in effect and Trizivir is in the formulary with a lot of other HIV drugs at the $50 copay rate.    I can probably afford $50 a month for Trizivir even though I'd rather spend it on DVDs or computer crap or any random sperm-of-the-moment spendthrift bagatelle.  Then I can really start being horribly obnoxious to anyone who doesn't have SSD and Medicare about how much they use the system and I'm not a leech and sundry other niceties... like some people.

Boo

Offline Bartro

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 03:29:24 pm »
I forgot to mention when building up a reserve be sure to rotate the medications to avoid expiration (of the meds that is). 
Rusty

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 07:54:06 pm »
I know how many of you missed and are still missing sleep over this issue so please put your minds to rest.  As it turns out the copay is only $25 a month and there is no annual cap on the costs paid by the Medicare HMO/PPO/SOBs, whatever.

Now maybe I'll apply for Ryan White and give those drugs to someone who needs them but can't afford them.  But you didn't hear me say that.

Boo

P.S. Building a reserve of Trizivir will be hard because the clever insurance company allows only so much leeway in refilling prescriptions and if you refill too soon they don't cover any of the cost.  The only way I could build a reserve would be to lie and say I lost mine or the dog ate them (and died...).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 07:56:49 pm by Boo Radley »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 11:03:08 pm »
They only allow me a five day leeway but that's enough to build up a month reserve within 6 months.

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 12:43:17 am »
They only allow me a five day leeway but that's enough to build up a month reserve within 6 months.

Mine only allows a five-day to a week leeway, period.  If I order a refill on 1/29/07 I can order another refill on or a day or two before 2/28/07 but the next refill wouldn't be authorized until 3/28/07.  If I try to refill before then the cost isn't covered.  This has always been the case with my Medicare provider.  They have it down to a science, believe me. 

Boo

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 01:18:56 am »
Weird.  I'm on Medicare Part D too and I've never had a problem.  That sucks.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.